35" TYRES

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 21:58
ThreadID: 100010 Views:2848 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I am looking for opinions regarding Toyo Open Country MT vs Hankook Dynapro RTO3. Has anyone used either, and what wear, mileage, handling have you experienced. They have similar load ratings and and it appears the tread patterns are similar. They will be 35x12.5x17 and will be on my new Iveco Daily 4x4 when it arrives.
Many thanks,
Phil
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 22:19

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 22:19
I have the Toyo MT on my Hilux and done 20k on them so far, previous two sets have been MT MTZ. Wear rate has been similar to the MTZ. They are a heavier carcass tyre and you need to air down more in comparison to get some decent bagging. So far am happy with them and would buy them again. On road have found them good in all conditions, offroad have run them in the high country( snow) Simpson desert and out the back of Lithgow and have been fine although I think the MTZ are better in rocky hillclimb type conditions as they mould better, I suspect the extra weight of your vehicle will overcome that issue though
MickO wrote a review on them as well in his blog
Have had no experience with the Hancook
AnswerID: 502652

Reply By: olcoolone - Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 23:18

Tuesday, Jan 15, 2013 at 23:18
Go the Toyo, best tyre made.

Very quiet, good wet and dry performance, goo handling....... down side is heavy, price and you have to air down more for them to bag out.
AnswerID: 502660

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 00:16

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 00:16
Toyo'a are very good, puncture resistant and wear well as others have said. Mick O runs them as does Jaydub on their outback treks.
I wanted to put them on the Oka but at the time were in very short supply just after the tsunami so put the AT M version of the Hankooks on. The Hankooks have proven to be very good, not as heavy or strong a tyre as the Toyo's but have stood up well to extended low temp running in sand conditions and on rocky outback tracks. As we live on the eastern seaboard they've also done their share of rocky mountain tracks and sandstone country. Only had one small stake which took several days to show up before the TPMS alerted us.
Wear has been very good just make sure the size you are fitting has the load carrying capacity to suit the vehicle, most manufacturers don't supply the higher load ratings in the larger sizes in Oz.
AnswerID: 502661

Reply By: PhilD - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:24

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:24
Many thanks Guys.
I will go with the Toyos as they are actually a little cheaper, and have a slightly higher load rating. They will be imported, so the load rating will be correct.
Phil
AnswerID: 502673

Sponsored Links