GUYS, I need your help in where to camp in NSW.

Hi Everyone,

I leave in Illawarra and my mother will be visiting us from overseas and thinking of taking her camping, as she loves to be in the nature very much. I’m willing to drive up to 500 km. We would prefer a quiet place and not being bothered by other campers or a place that get pretty busy (I mean we don’t want a camp site) so the old lady can be free, and for the dog to run around freely as well. We are planning a week long trip in March and are looking for some good locations for camping. We will be camping in a tent, swags and a Motorhome, so most if not any site will suit us, we are after a good location that offers some good landscape, river, tracks and nature in general.
I have heard about Belowra Camping Area, Sofala, and Murrumbidgee River, But I’m a bit confuse about where to go.

GUYS, I would greatly appreciate your help if you could guide me to the right place that will impress my mom.

Thank you so much in advance,

Best Wishes,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 14:23

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 14:23
Hi John,

Belowra is good (but dont know if fires have affected it?).

Dont know what you had in mind for the Murrumbidgee River but in the headwaters there is Blue Waterholes that I think you could get a M/H into.

If you are prepared to go down a windy gravel road over the Brindabellas to the west of Canberra you can camp along the Goodradigbee River among the mountains.

Or at Jindabyne, or Sawpit Creek in the Snowy Mtns NP - bitumen access.

There is a good campground near Wee Jasper also beside the Goodradigbee R.

Otherwise in the ACT there are a few nice camgrounds in Namadgi NP that would be pleasant at that time of year ACT campgrounds

If you wanted to go warmer at about 600kms there is Clarence Gorge which is a beautiful spot in the headwaters of the mighty Clarence River.

Plenty to choose from and a great time of year to go camping.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502694

Follow Up By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:06

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:06
Hi John & Val,
Do you have any GPS information for these campsites?
Many thanks,
Rob
The outback calls

FollowupID: 779204

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:14

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:14
Hi Rob,

If you just put your cursor over any of the underlined words - or click them - you will bring up co-ordinates. For a couple of the places I mentioned I have put in links to a website.

Every underlined word on this site is clickable - linked through to further info.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779207

Follow Up By: Navigator 1 (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:21

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:21
Many thanks, Rob
The outback calls

FollowupID: 779209

Follow Up By: John G19 - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:22

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:22
Dear Val,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply.

We will have 4WD motorhome, so we don’t care about bitumen access.
I have heard that Murrumbidgee got a lot of spots along the river, so I thought it would be easy to find a privet place to camp.
Blue Waterholes is based on a campervan site, isn’t. I mean you have to camp on a specific locations, and what I want is to set up my camp wherever I like, beside dogs are not allowed in Blue Waterholes.
Goodradigbee river sounds good to me, but again I’m not sure if pets are allowed. As well as Sawpit Creek, the dogs are not allowed and it look like it’s gets crowded.

Thank you again for your respond,
Best Wishes
FollowupID: 779210

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:48

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 16:48
Hi John,

As far as I know the camping along the river at Brindabella is not in a National Park. Maybe others here know whether dogs are allowed there.

You are correct that there are quite a few free camps beside the Murrumbidgee but as far as I know they are mostly west of Wagga, though I think I did see a reference on here recently about one closer to Canberra. We overnighted at one near Hay a few months ago - fine for an overnight stop but the river is muddy and the banks are very high and steep - and you would want to get out if there was any rain coming as that black soil gets very sticky.

If you take your dog camping be very careful about baits.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779216

Reply By: Member - John G - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 18:20

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 18:20
G'd

Willis campground on the Snowy River between Jindabyne and Buchan on the Barry Way is a good spot, but it's in a National Park and the dog may not be welcome.

Cheers
John
AnswerID: 502722

Follow Up By: Member - John G - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 18:23

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 18:23
Sorry John, meant to start with "G'day John".
FollowupID: 779231

Reply By: Member - Marilyn P (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 18:34

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 18:34
Hi John,
Riverwood Downs Barrington Tops. Google it, it's gorgeous.
Marilyn
AnswerID: 502723

Reply By: Cheryl & Ian - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:21

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:21
Hi John,

We love to go camping with our dogs at Blowering dam, near Tumut. The western side is state forrest and you can access it via Batlow. There is a Forest Camp, but we have never stayed there, as you can camp anywhere along the foreshore that you like. There are some camp/picnic areas that have drop toilets and bins, but as I said, you can basically camp anywhere depending on the level of the water.

We have camped there for years and really love it as there is enough space, particularly when the dam is low to get away from everyone else. The only downer we have come across is grass seeds with the dogs particularly this time of year.

Cheers, Cheryl

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 502774

Follow Up By: Berniec - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:28

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:28
Hi John and to Cheryl also.

The western side of Blowering Dam is an excellent location - but before you go, check that it will be available. They are logging the pine forests in that area at the moment and many of the roads are closed to the public. Check this address

Forest NSW

The eastern side is good but not well serviced and can get busy during school holidays etc.

There is a beautiful spot on the Jounama Creek opposite the Talbingo turnoff that could suit your needs.

Regards
Bernie
FollowupID: 779300

Sponsored Links