Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kyle H - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 20:24

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 20:24
Billiluna, Yuendumu and Tilmouth Roadhouse have diesel.
Rabbit Flat closed down a little over a year ago.
AnswerID: 502734

Follow Up By: Veronica L - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 10:53

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 10:53
Thanks to everyone for the helpful information on availability, need for cash etc. Veronica L.
FollowupID: 779282

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 20:28

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 20:28
Hi Veronica,

Yuendumu and Bililuna should have diesel, and Balgo but thats some way off the main track. Not sure of opening hours, but Bililuna has - or at least had - a strange payment system where you had to work out how much fuel you needed then buy vouchers to pay for it. Vouchers came in set denominations and no change if you got it wrong. That was 3 years ago so hopefully has changed to more conventional arrangements by now.

Cheers,

Val.
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502735

Follow Up By: Robyn R4 - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 21:01

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 21:01
Ok, Val...I'm curious...what's the reasoning behind the vouchers?!
"Estimate how much you need?!"
Jeez! When we do outback trips we manage to squeeze in another goodness-knows-how-many litres after it's registered as "full"...
Robyn :)
FollowupID: 779240

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 21:25

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 21:25
Hi Val

Looks like the voucher/fuel card system is still in place.

Link gives some details. Contact number included to clarify.

Billiluna Fuel Card

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 779241

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 21:34

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 21:34
Hi Robyn,

Hopefully this system no longer applies but 3 years ago it went like this:

Bililuna is an aboriginal town and an important fuel stop at the top of the Canning. What's the reasoning behind the vouchers? Security, and it ensures payment in advance.

How does it work?

You estimate that you have space for say 170 litres. It costs say $2.20 per litre. After a bit of a domestic about arithmetic it's agreed that 170 litres will cost $374.

So you buy from the shop three $100 vouchers, plus one for $50 and one $20 - should be pretty close.

The vouchers are like credit cards that you poke into the fuel pump that is very securely locked inside a massive steel enclosure. Put the first voucher into the pump, which delivers about $95 worth before stopping. There's no-one to complain to so "get over it". Now the second voucher and then the third one and the forth one. Getting close now. You start on the final voucher but the tank is full before you've used all your credit! There's no reimbursement, no-one to complain to! It's just one of the hidden costs of travel !

Mustn't grumble! We had a lot of friendly help from one of the local fellows while coming to grips with the system.

Cheers

John
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779242

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 21:48

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 21:48
When we called into Bililuna it was like a ghost town, we couldn't find anyone anywhere. In the end we just went on to Halls Creek.
FollowupID: 779244

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:06

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:06
Hi Val, It has changed, I was their in September last year and paid cash for it. Had to go over the road and get the fellow to unlock the pump and he just filled it up, paid cash on the spot.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779245

Follow Up By: Robyn R4 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 16:40

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 16:40
Thanks for the explanation and description, John!
If I ever have to pay for fuel via vouchers, I will be sure to include a domestic to some degree about the mathematics!
Robyn :)
FollowupID: 779321

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:01

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:01
Safest way is to ring the communities ahead of time if needing fuel to find opening times, if fuel will be available then, and to give them an idea of how much you need and when. We did this before going to Alice Springs via the Gary Junction Road, and we had no problems or delays, but made sure our arrival coincided with their days and times open. Be aware you may need cash not cards in some communities.

We had adequate range to go from Halls Creek to Tilmouth Well, but did purchase some at Yuendumo to make sure - and it was a cent cheaper than Tilmouth.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 502741

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:27

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:27
When we travelled across the Gary Junction Rd and Tanami last year EFTPOS was available at all Communities, but credit cards are not accepted.

Opening times are the thing to watch. We seemed to have the knack of turning up 5 minutes after they went off for their 2 hour lunch break. There is some flexibility with the people serving but not much and don't bank on it.

We did get to see a lot of the Communities and met a lot of dogs.

Steve
FollowupID: 779249

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:48

Wednesday, Jan 16, 2013 at 22:48
We only had credit card, and at Kintore it was all cash or we could have gone to the shop and got his wife to process out card, but easier to pay cash. On the Great Central Road the permit tells which communities take card or not, but we didn't fuel from any of the communities. We paid cash at Yuendumo - i didn't ask about card.

Mh
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779251

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 07:23

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 07:23
Veronica,

diesel is available at all outlets.

It would pay to work out how far you can travel with the fuel you can carry. Work out where you'll need to fuel up and contact the communities about availability, opening times and payment.

The longest distance is from Yuenmunu to Balgo because Rabbit Flat is closed. I can't remeber how far that is but about 500 km.

Hoo roo,
Steve
AnswerID: 502759

Sponsored Links