Availability of camping in Broome

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:02
ThreadID: 100031 Views:3288 Replies:12 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Planning to visit Broome in late July/August. I have read that there are overflow places to stay if the caravan parks are full, and these can be found by visiting the Information Centre on arrival. Has anyone experienced this? Also where are the nearest overnight stops to Broome?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mike g2 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:22

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 11:22
Hi Veronica, yes there is overflow, opened usually when all other parks full. I beleieve basic facilities-didnt experience it but. full info via tourist beaurea . nearest o/nites are:roebuck plains rest area, roebuck roadhouse cp, willie creek (dirt road) and quandong (dirt road)
havnt tried these. roebuck roadhouse cp is near the roadhouse ,there was big rig traffic when we stayed 2 nites.
suggest try and book in to cp in broome.
MG.
AnswerID: 502775

Reply By: member - mazcan - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:20

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:20
hi veronica l
overflow will probably be at the gun club on rd to jetty yes very basic but better than being km's out of broome somewhere
the place badly needs more caravan pks and is always booked out by returning visitors yr after yr
but locals dont seem to be interested in the $ outlay or they claim there is no space left to build them ?????
im comfortable/ bugr-you jack system attitude
travellers line up at the tourist center on a daily basis hoping for a spot not much fun and low chances of getting in even for 1 night
a lot of people have lost patience with the broome attitude and go elsewhere
my own opinion is the place is highly over rated
cheers
AnswerID: 502781

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 14:52

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 14:52
We went to Broome in July 2011 and when we arrived we had a list of the caravan parks and just phoned around. We were able to book into the Cable Beach Caravan Park. A few say they do not like Broome, we loved the place. Some will say the caravan park people are rude, again we did not find this to be the case.Broome can be very busy and it is expensive, but as they explained to us their big trade months are only during the dry season, so they need to charge a little more and they are a long way from anywhere and it is expensive to get goods there. So keep an open mind about the place. Kevin
AnswerID: 502784

Reply By: Member - Chappy (WA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 15:37

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 15:37
Hi Veronica, have stayed at Port Smith (CP) & Quondong (bush)....enjoyed both.
Barn Hill station is supposed to be quite good as well.
AnswerID: 502785

Reply By: RodnSue - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:36

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:36
Hi Veronica

We were there 13th – 20th August 2011 with no prior booking.
We fronted up to the info centre somewhere between 10 & 11am.
They place new vacancies of the van parks & overflow places onto a blackboard.
I’m not sure if the ph no* was on the blackboard, but the friendly folk at the counter will give you same.

We already knew that the overflow places are much cheaper than the van parks.

It will be your responsibility to ph through for a booking & is best to secure a spot before you leave the info centre in case the vacancy goes.

We stayed @ the gun club for $25 per night, no power. They have powered spots available as well. Unfortunately there was no grass, but if you’re hardly there & out exploring you won’t need grass. The normal facilities a van park has was available, just less of them.

Back in 2011, some of the overflow places didn’t allow the use of toasters & air conditioners…..I suggest you ask before booking.

The overflow places were only allowed to be open to about 3rd wk of August when the southerners head south again freeing up more spots in the van parks again.

I would still visit Broome, even if some folks say don’t bother…..you’ll never know unless you go. Book 1-2 nights 1st if you’re unsure & you can extend like we did.

I hope this helps & enjoy.
Sue
AnswerID: 502809

Reply By: TrevorMR (WA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:52

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:52
We have stayed at the Gun Club on quite a few occasions. The facilities are basic but quite acceptable and the people who manage it are very accommodating. There are trees but not much grass. They also take dogs.
AnswerID: 502810

Reply By: Zebra400 - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 05:14

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 05:14
There are always people arriving & leaving at the Broome caravan parks. So if you want to get into one, dont rock up at 4 or 5 pm. Most likely you will be turned away.

We stayed in Broome in 2012 & 2011. Both times we stayed at Cable Beach CP. It was full both times, but turning up early in the morning, we were able to get in both times.

A great place to stay and so close to the beach. But it is not cheap to stay there. I think we paid $55 per night for a powered site..
AnswerID: 502826

Reply By: daz (SA) - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 15:42

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 15:42
Hi there Veronica,
We were there in August 2012,
rang the Seventh day Adventist Over flow & went straight there. $35 per night two people, Around 30 vans etc there. No kids facilities, every one squeezed in, Very accommodating & very clean & quiet. Needed to park van while we went to Cape Leveque, went to PCYC & left the van there at a reasonable rate compared to other storage in Broome, Came back & stayed at PCYC, again about $35 with power, very spacious & excellent clean facilities, plus dump. Me I would go direct to the PCYC, much cheaper than the caravan parks which are over crowded with permanents in a lot of cases, The overflows are only open during the tourist season, but are full of tourists such as one self. enjoy Broome, especially the Kebab shop in Old China town
Daz
AnswerID: 502870

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 16:07

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 16:07
I have found that you only need to ring ahead a few days before you intend to arrive. If you have to wait longer you just mark time along the track.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 502871

Reply By: Steve B15 - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 16:56

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 16:56
Check out www.campee.com, got a list of good of caravan parks and campsites
AnswerID: 502874

Reply By: outback epicurean - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 17:30

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 17:30
Hi

Try Tarangau CP, smaller, behind CB CP and I think much better. Still need to book but worth it.
cheers
AnswerID: 502877

Reply By: cloudseeker - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 04:30

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 04:30
Why can't you just drive off into the endless bush and camp?

I haven't been yet to OZ, so if someone could kindly explain this point?
AnswerID: 502923

Sponsored Links