Madness at Moonbi

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:29
ThreadID: 100032 Views:3576 Replies:3 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Although many times I will defend truckies having been there myself, this guy should lose his licence for ever.

This was in Tamworths Northern Daily Leader.

Police attached to Oxley Traffic and Highway Patrol yesterday (Wednesday 16 January 2013) caught a truck allegedly travelling at 123km/h in a 60km/h zone – 63km/h over the speed limit.

About 11.10am, police were performing speed enforcement duties on a section of the New England Highway, north of Tamworth, when they observed a southbound Mack truck travelling on the highway.

Using Lidar to measure the heavy vehicle’s speed, officers determined the truck was travelling at an alleged speed of 123km/h, despite the section of road being speed limited to 60km/h for trucks and buses.

Police stopped the vehicle just north of the township of Moonbi and the driver – a 45-year-old man from Maitland – was issued with an infringement notice for Class C vehicle exceed speed by more than 45km/h.

As a result, he was fined $3,267 and had his licence suspended for six months.

The truck was also grounded and will be inspected by Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) staff.

Acting Assistant Commissioner Stuart Smith, the Acting Commander of the Traffic and Highway Patrol, said police and RMS staff would continue to work together in 2013, as part of their ongoing effort to get rogue trucks off NSW roads.

“There is no justification for excessive speeding in any vehicle, especially not in a heavy truck,” Superintendent Smith said.

“Too many times we have seen the untold carnage that has stemmed from one speeding truck.

“Rest assured, we will continue to commit plenty of resources to catching and charging any heavy vehicle drivers or operators who break the law and put innocent lives at risk.”

Glad he is off the road,

RA.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:50

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:50
Hi RA,

I personally have found 99% of the truckies that I have encountered to be average guys (and the occasional gal) just going about their job. Yes there is a varying degree of ability but you find that in any trade or profession.
If the speed he was charged with proves correct I would have to ask, what happened to the 100 kph speed limiter supposedly fitted? Had it been tampered with, and if so is someone else going to get a slap? Was he going down a steep hill?
Also, what was this guy thinking? 123 kph in a 60 kph zone? 123 KPH would still be 23 kph over in a 100 kph zone. Had he lost control of the truck? Thank the good Lord he didn't clean up some family off on holidays.
I guess every barrel has at least one bad apple.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 502782

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 14:40

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 14:40
Hi Pop,

Have to agree with you 100%.

The low speed limits in that area are there for a very good reason, a very steep long decent with a tight left hand bend at the bottom and a town to boot. The only flat bit of road there is in Moonbi itself.

Moonbi is among the steepest climbs, and therefore decents, that are on any of our major highways.

This bloke was riding for a fall, no doubt.

Unprofessional opperator in my opinion.

Unless as you say he might have lost control if there was some mechanical fault which caused it.
She might have jumped out of low gear into neutral.
They don't call it angel gear for no good reason, do they.
Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779308

Reply By: garrycol - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:50

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 13:50
I bet this was going downhill on the Moonbi Hill and the driver was letting the truck coast down the hill.
AnswerID: 502783

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 14:31

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 14:31
Yep! speed limiter don't work downhill and that N for angel just let's her roll.
FollowupID: 779306

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 14:49

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 14:49
Hi RA,

Begs the question, if it was out of control why didn't he use the jake brake when he got to the bottom of the second drop.

There is a nice long straight there, dual lanes and a divided road, still downhill but nowhere near as steep, but at least it would have given him time to think to sort out his problems, if he had any that is.

I don't think the coppers would have hit him so hard had there been some mechanical problem or other.

As you say, the nut behind the steering wheel needs replacing..

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779309

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 15:18

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 15:18
Bruce,
I think nut is the word. It is not the first time at Moonbi that I have seen madness. Many years ago I was a bit heavy and 2 trucks past me blind at the top, then proceeded to race each other side by side down the southern end.

This day and age this bloke has got to have known he would be caught at some time or another.

To all the good guys out there trying to do the riht thing,
Have a safe one.

RA.
FollowupID: 779310

Follow Up By: Steve D1 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 16:01

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 16:01
What speed limiters??? when was the last time you saw the "100 speed limited " sticker on a truck, of any size. I think the limiters dissapeared at the same time as the stickers. Travel the M7 / M5 any day of the week and be prepared for any number of rigs trying to pass you, even when you are already doing 110, ( 10k's over yourself ).
Steve
FollowupID: 779313

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 16:36

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 16:36
Steve,
you don't need signs anymore as speed limiters are mandatory on heavy vehicles and buses.

Have a look HERE

Also check your own speedo as most read on the side of safety and up to 10k an hour out.

Trucks are also allowed a little leeway as nothing is ever spot on. Having said that most will limit between 98 and 103.

RA.
FollowupID: 779319

Follow Up By: Steve D1 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 16:51

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 16:51
I know they dont need the signs, but if I'm doing 110, i shouldnt be passed, even if my speedo is out 10%, which it aint.
Steve
FollowupID: 779323

Reply By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 17:42

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 17:42
RA.
I was under the impression that these speed limiters were only a rev type limiter.
In which case they would not slow you down on a down hill run would they?

Can you set me straight on these speed limiters, please.

Cheers, Bruce.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 502790

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:22

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:22
Bruce,
yep, technology is catching up and the new ones will limit but there are a lot of older units out there and some of the older girls (sorry ladies), some still work on final drive ratios and tyre sizes, which is ok if you don't play silly buggers with the gear or use that N gear.

What gets me is I don't worry about the little bit of overspeed but that 60 is placed there for a reason. Doubling the speed just makes my mind boggle, when you earn your living on the road you know the penalty you will pay.

He has paid it big time.

The day of the 160mph overnighter is long gone.

have a good one,
RA.
FollowupID: 779326

Sponsored Links