Would it be un-Australian to dob in the extreme idiots?

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 17:42
ThreadID: 100035 Views:4300 Replies:15 FollowUps:15
This Thread has been Archived
The thread by Rockape about a truckie doing 123 kph in a 60 zone made my blood boil and I recall being harassed by tuckies and, in fairness, other drivers not willing to be constrained by the speed limit.

There have also been several recent posts about in-car cameras. I know one guy helped get a lunatic convicted following a road rage incident but I am wondering how the police would respond if people with in-car cameras started providing footage of stupidity on the road whenever they see (record) it? I'm not talking about every day things that are annoying but not really dangerous. Perhaps this is already happening?

Does anyone know whether the police would respond?

May be its not our way?

Skull
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: landseka - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:10

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:10
Skull, unless your footage positively identifies the driver then no conviction can take place. If the coppers are interested they can have a polite chat to the owner (alleged driver) about their actions.

Neil
AnswerID: 502791

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 00:25

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 00:25
Not the case, they book the registered owner unless they nominate the driver at the time.
It's the same as what hapens with speed & red light camera detection.
The onus is on the registered owner to provide the driver detail.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779371

Follow Up By: KevinE - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 07:21

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 07:21
Unless the vehicle is registered to a Pty Ltd John ;) Then they just pay a higher fine, no need to nominate who was driving & no demerits issued.
FollowupID: 779379

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:49

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 09:49
Correct Kevin, if the matter is a simple on the spot/get it in the post fine and then only if the company directors are willing for the company to wear a fine at the company level four or five times higher than the original.
Almost all large corporates are now very careful about logging actual driver details of the vehicle to ensure ability to nominate responsibility.

If an offense is one that the police are taking to court then the Directors will have no choice but to nominate the driver or the Directors are going to suffer a serious consequence.

Even Victoria Police are personally responsible for driving offenses incurred whilst driving police vehicles unless under lights and sirens.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779385

Reply By: Lyn W3 - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:12

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:12
Here is a good example on the Bruce Hwy near Gladstone just before Xmas.

Truck on Bruce Hwy.

Not to sure if any action was taken or not.

I also think/know that this is NOT TYPICAL for truckies on the Bruce who are generally very good.

AnswerID: 502792

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:55

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:55
Lyn, that happened to us ( a group of four 4wd's) on a run up to Grafton and back just before xmas. That video was almost an exact copy.

Sadly, from our experience, it WAS typical on the Pacific Highway.
FollowupID: 779363

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:59

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:59
and when I say typical, at least 6 times !!
FollowupID: 779364

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:21

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:21
Speaking from experience, the problem is partly that someone will ring the Police to complain about a driver and when asked if they would be willing to give evidence in court they say, no way, they do not want to get involved! Just go out and get the driver before they kill someone.
When asked for their name they usually hang up. That makes it very difficult for the Police to investigate. Sure they can try and get a patrol to go out on the road to catch the offender, but when asked they would deny any such behaviour. No action can be taken as there is no evidence. It starts to get the Police to get a certain attitude. Just like any average person would. Mind you I am not saying some Police do not have the right attitude.
I think nowadays it is un-Australian not to get involved. Not physically, just being prepared to help the Police.
Kevin
AnswerID: 502795

Follow Up By: patsproule - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 17:42

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 17:42
Exactly right. If you decline to give evidence then it is difficult for the cops. I have made a couple of police complaints and agreed to provide further detail if required. In both cases police followed up with me a few days late detailing actions taken against the drivers.
FollowupID: 779431

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:24

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:24
I had a idiot try to overtake me on the l/h side after the road started to narrow (Wagners Toowoomba intersection) into one. I couldnt go any faster because a b-double was having trouble in getting going. He then proceeded to tail gate me as we were in a 60 zone i wasnt going to budge. He worked for the same company as my father. Lets say he is being delt with.
AnswerID: 502796

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce C (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:48

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:48
Hi Sharon,

Only goes to prove we are not alone out there, someone is watching so we had better behave.
Especially if there is writing all over your vehicle telling everybody where you come from.

Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779329

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:31

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:31
Shaz,
bet he said "Bugger" when he was busted.

FollowupID: 779334

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:27

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 18:27
123kph in any zone is exceeding the maximum that most trucks can legally drive.

I would definitely dob the mongrel in. He is safety hazrd to everyone.
At the very least it gives the Police cause to have the speed limiter checked.
too many Cowboys have the habit of disabling them.

Having said that though, my exerience is that the majority of truckies drive to the safe limit of their load and are courtious to other road users.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502797

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 19:07

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 19:07
I would dob in any 4x4 or anyone screwing up our (you lot also) reputation, parks or camping spot. For the road I keep the video for a while. It's not good enough to identify someone but it would certatinly help showing what someone did. It's from a dash cam.

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emeptqdtGFU.

Tha footage is on the Kings Highway between Batemans Bay and Canberra. The three lane episode is on the very steep Clyde Mountain climb.

Phil
AnswerID: 502798

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 19:12

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 19:12
I will try an upload to Exploroz:

Phil
FollowupID: 779330

Follow Up By: Skulldug - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:52

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:52
Phil,

That's exactly what I was talking about.

Skull
FollowupID: 779349

Reply By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:00

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:00
I put up a post a while back regarding dash and rear view cameras and the quality and duration/storage of the footage. Would one mounted on the rear of a caravan be good enough to record the number and maybe facial features of some moron who decided it was a good idea to tailgate because for whatever reason he (or she) thought you were not going fast enough?
Maybe with a slightly aggressive truckie a short call on channel 40 and asking him to smile for candid camera just may get him to back off a little.

Just a thought.

Cheers
Pop
AnswerID: 502802

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:47

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:47
Pop,
couple of years back I was tailgated south of Proserpine by a semi. I gets on the blower and asks him to get his radiator out of my face. His reply was I am not tailgating you. Well I says. You can't overtake me before the O'Connell River so back off and I will let you through.

He still tailgates me, so now I am peeved. I then offered to stop in Proserpine and we would discuss the matter.

I did let him go but he declined my offer for a bit of mediation in the lovely town of Proserpine. I was cool by then and I didn't get a flogging. Well not for another fortnight till the missus got me home again.

RA.

FollowupID: 779337

Follow Up By: GimmeeIsolation - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:34

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:34
I hope you do get a camera and use it so when you see the "morons" piling up behind you, you actually pull over and let them all past instead of building up behind a dozen cars back, but you do do that right, like ALL van drivers use their rear vision mirrors.
I hate tailgaters too but the frustration with van drivers who don't give a rats about anybody behind and miraculously go faster in the overtaking lanes and the straights happens more often to me as I travel rural mostly.
Go as slow as you like, but pull over and let us past.
No that is not a wave we are giving you when we get past.
FollowupID: 779348

Follow Up By: Skulldug - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:13

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:13
I agree there are certainly two sides of the story. One of the very satisfying experiences of travelling is to get a "thanks mate" from a truckie when you let them past.

Now I can afford a decent tow vehicle and sit on the speed limit, it shouldn't be necessary but it still happens.
FollowupID: 779352

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:47

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 22:47
Hi Mr GimmeeIsolation,

Please accept my humblest apologies for falling into the category of being one of those caravan drivers that never use their rear vision mirrors, always go faster when an overtaking lane or straight presents itself, take great satisfaction in allowing a conga line of cars to build up behind me and generally annoy everyone else on the road.
How do I know when I have achieved my objective?
When I get the one finger salute as you go past.
As you have observed, ALL of us vanners just love going out of our way to cause you the maximum level of frustration when we just know you have a very important time frame to adhere to.
Oh and I never talk to truckies on the 2 way to assist them pass.

I promise to keep an eye out for you.

Cheers and safe travels mate
Pop
FollowupID: 779358

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:32

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:32
I have had a front HD camera mounted above the mirror for some time now but a few months ago i was tailgated on the Hume Highway for 5 ks at an incredibly close distance. I now have a rear facing camera to catch the stupid driver behind. Two HD cameras for $100 total, who wouldnt have them?? Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502804

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:36

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 20:36
Just to mention, a few months ago there was some discussion about the legal use and usage in courts etc, a few weeks ago on the news, the Police charged idiots from dash cam footage, so its on!! Michael.

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

FollowupID: 779335

Reply By: Motherhen - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:58

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 21:58
What ever way you report him, in is not un-Australian to help stem the carnage on our roads.

Recently my husband saw someone do something very dangerous and he was unable to get the number plate. He said something on the two way about did anyone get his plate number, and a couple of truck drivers who had seen the vehicle replied, one with "Yes, I got him".

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 502811

Reply By: Member - Arsenal Phill - Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 23:18

Thursday, Jan 17, 2013 at 23:18
Short and amusing story to me.

We were out on the roads, with our van. Fortunately I can tug along at 100km/h no probs. I was doing 100 on a section of road with that limit. We got to an overtaking lane and I promptly hugged the inside lane but maintained my speed.

I then had a call from a rigid, about a length back on the two-way. He said `Arsenal', you'll have to slow down so as I can pass as I am restricted to 100 !!!! What a chump.

I am now of a belief that some people just don't like being behind a caravan no matter what speed they are going!!!

AnswerID: 502821

Reply By: Pete G - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 00:19

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 00:19
On occasion I have taken the effort to report behaviour to both the police and the company, the latter usually with a very good response. That said one company owner replied to the the effect "if you have any problems with my "bleep'n" trucks well report it to the bleep'n Coppers mate".

One problem is that if you are travelling then you are away from home and a date in court means a lot of expense and inconvenience to go back some time after the event.

In most cases a visit from the Constabulary and them being spoken to is still a good result. It does happen and the police note this as intel(ligence) against the driver. I have even had a call back to let me know the outcome on one occasion. (Little Goldilocks was driving Mummies car on the freeway in peak hour at 110 eating her porridge, bowl in one hand spoon in the other. Happened to be a local vehicle and Mummy got a visit from the Highway patrol. The police rang me back and said Mummy was not amused and would deal with Goldilocks when she got home with the car).

I am not making any excuses, however, regarding the truck on the Moonbi's we do not have all the facts in our possession ie loaded/unloaded, whether he had a run away situation etc.. Certainly that vehicle (if fully loaded) at that speed would have been unstoppable in an emergency. The truck was subject to the "must use low gear" sign and as such must not use the service brakes to control speed. The descent is very clearly marked with signage. Also that the truck owner (as distinct from the driver) may also be fined via the chain of control provisions.

Note also that the Newell has been closed and possibly the guy may have been green (ie not a regular) on the descent and has not appreciated the severity of the decline. Notwithstanding it still shows a total lack of professionalism. The tachograph card (monitor) records will flush out the truth - if it was working!!.

The speed recorded would be easily reached in a runaway situation. Chased a semi down the second hill one day and watched puffs of smoke every time the brake lights went on. His Cummins was screaming like a GM (over-revved) when I went past. He still managed to hit 95 and had about a quarter of the way to go. There is an arrester bed at the bottom of the first hill and another one at the bottom of the second hill.

Regards

Pete G

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 502824

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:09

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 10:09
Unaustralian NO , stopping some fool be they a 'professional' driver or not ,if it stops 1 death on our roads ... For years there has been a debate/ discussion on this forum about the folly and inconvenience of obeying the road rules at ROAD WORKS , well another needless death yesterday ...
AnswerID: 502845

Reply By: Member - Terra'Mer - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 18:14

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 18:14
After watching an overtaking car run the oncoming car off the road today i have decided to mount my GoPro to the dash, record idiot's regos and report them. I don't tolerate potentially fatal driving on the road.

I will also be using the camera while walking along side the roads around Australia to record idiots who try to make me mess my pants seeing how close they can get to me at 100km/hr on the shoulder, idiots talking on their phones while struggling to stay on the road or out of oncoming traffic and, just for interest sake, what it looks like when cars pass me on dirt roads covering me in dust, dirt and sometimes spitting gravel up in my face because they can't be bothered slowing down enough to loose the dust.

I'll share the youtube page with you in a blog when i have it set up
Have you seen my marbles?

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 502880

Reply By: Skulldug - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:40

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:40
Thanks to all for your replies.

Skull
AnswerID: 502903

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 10:39

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 10:39
In response to the 1st question, I'd say the police would say officially, we don't want to be swamped with footage of people "supposedly" doing the wrong thing..

The same as security footage, it can't be used in a court of law without other evidence backing it up..

But......it could get the police to warn or monitor the bad apples.....IF they could be bothered to look at the footage in the 1st place !!
AnswerID: 502944

Sponsored Links