Windscreen Camera Security

Submitted: Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 17:14
ThreadID: 100054 Views:3439 Replies:5 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
I am considering getting a windscreen recording camera but don't fancy having to remove and store it each time I leave the car to avoid it being stolen. What do others do about this?

Are there any systems with an unnoticeable miniature camera on the dash or screen with the control and recording unit well hidden in say the glovebox? Are there other ways to secure it?

Maybe a good product would be a GPS Navigator with a camera built-in looking out the back of the navigator through the windscreen. The GPS, speed and time functions would be available for both the camera and the navigator in one unit. A good product opportunity. Still doesn't resolve the anti-theft issue though.

Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 18:10

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 18:10
They are to cheep to be stolen. I have mine on the windscreen all the time and it records everyone that walks by, by motion sensor. If anything they will steal the gps.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 502879

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 18:18

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 18:18
Andy,
They may be cheap but the broken side window to get to it is not so cheap.
I'm careful to remove and hide the GPS having had a window broken to steal my first one.
At least the GPS is only hauled out on the occasions that I need navigation aid so is not a regular chore. To get benefit from the camera however it would need to be in place at all driving times, so needing to be removed & hidden frequently for security.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 779435

Follow Up By: Member Andys Adventures - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 18:31

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 18:31
Mine is easy to remove just unscrew it about 3 turns and will fit into glove box. You can buy them on ebay for about $69.00
Andy

P.S. I have seen a side window broken for a loaf of bread at my local beach. So putting it in the glove box might not help.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779437

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 08:56

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 08:56
It goes against the grain, but leaving the car unlocked will save you money in the long run. Don't leave valuables in the car. Those little windows that they love to smash always cost the same as your excess.
FollowupID: 779659

Follow Up By: get outmore - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:15

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:15
nothing is too cheap to be stolen, people will steal anything just because they can
FollowupID: 779668

Reply By: desray (WA - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 18:46

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 18:46
I bought one on ebay for $21 in December
Car Vehicle HD DVR IR 2.5" TFT LCD 6 LED Video Recorder Camera Road Safety Guard from teammadegroup2011 ..works good
AnswerID: 502883

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:12

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:12
I have the same unit. $19.95 plus $20 postage. Works a treat! Very slim line. Velco onto the dash then put a bar runner across the dash over the top of it. Bearly noticable although it does catch the top of the wiper just a bit.
Fab.
FollowupID: 779523

Follow Up By: Fab72 - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:22

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:22
Bought mine from this seller. Very happy with my purchase. BTW... the bar runner will prevent it from baking on a hot day.

HD Camera
FollowupID: 779527

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 19:53

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 19:53
Hello Allan
I don't know if you get what you pay for because the prices vary so much. If the camera is for security purposes then I would find out what is required as evidence from a law perspective.
If movies are required for a record a holiday then a different camera may be the answer.
For security, I viewed a short documentary by an ex policeman and now a traffic lawyer. It is quiet involved as to what and how the information is recorded.
His choice and probably the device I would get ;
DOD GSE 550
http://coretech.com.au/shop/categories/dashcams/gse550/
Regards Stan
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502888

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 19:59

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 19:59
Thanks Stan,
Perhaps my use of the term 'security' is confusing. I'm not concerned here about permissible evidence or the best buy, I'm interested in not having the damn thing stolen, together with an accompanying broken window.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 779452

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:28

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:28
There is a little more to these things than is first apparant Allan

A few weeks ago one of the kids had a nasty incident in which he pulled up into a service station towing 3 bikes and as he got out of car a police car pulled in front of him and out came an almost constant stream of words beginning with "F" - he had apparantly done nothing he knew to warrant this except worked the car hard from the lights because of the towing load - hence the police just left after the outburst - perhaps embrassed by there over reaction.

We therefore agreed we needed a camera the would not be obvious to anyone and brought the item below.

It works well (apart from a very short life battery - which isn't needed anyway).

Now because this item records speed and GPS location it needs to have its top mounted antenna visible to part of sky.

Its small (but not minature) size and aspect ratio means it can be carefully located at top of windscreen and is not very visible side on whilst the front mostly sits behind the tinted band at top of windscreen.

Note the mount at the top is not used and special mount was made to assist with its unobtrusive set up.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FuLL-HD1920x1080P-GPS-Car-DVR-Camera-Recorder-5M-CMOS-Wide-Angle-H-DMI-GS1000-/321047817907?pt=US_Video_In_Dash_Units_w_GPS&hash=item4abff0eeb3
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 502893

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:44

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:44
Robin,
I like that explanation from your youngin that he just gave it a bit at the lights because of the load. When I was young the copper would have kicked your shins while he explained why you shouldn't do what you did. The more you claimed innocence the more you shins got kicked.

RA.
FollowupID: 779460

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:52

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:52
Maybe that's the anti-theft solution Robin. Make it as unobtrusive as possible. Up behind the mirror although with the lens not obscured by the tinted band.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 779463

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:14

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:14
Thats why we need the cameras RA.

Allan , that unit has a low profile side on - not like other units I have with fold down screens etc.

It has a single 6mm hole where it connects to the top mount so once the top mount is thrown away its easy to make the item unobtrusive with a home made foam block or whatever.

The only cable going to it (a usb power cable) protrudes upwards from the top contributing to a low profile.

Depending on what your trying to achieve it fits neatly to the side of and halfway behind a rear vision mirror - to the left if you keeping it from those looking in your drivers window - or to the right if you wish to reduce its visibility to those walking past on the sidewalk.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779469

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:38

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:38
Robin,
I agree. Next time the copper will walk up and ever so politely issue your son a ticket for undue noise in the operation of a motor vehicle.

He has a choice. Cop the abuse or get the ticket. The copper didn't pick on him for nothing.

Allen,

If you want a camera that is easy to remove, high quality and doesn't get in the road, this maybe what you want.

HD camera

One thing, Temperature effects most of them so it is best to hide them from the sun if possible.

FollowupID: 779473

Follow Up By: Member - gaz 290 - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:57

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:57
i am wondering if audio and video evidence can be used against the police also as some not all cop can be very rude no matter how civil one tiries to be
FollowupID: 779519

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:13

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:13
Basically No Gaz - but I sort of see this as a bonus.

In isolation they are not good enough - for the same reasons that roadside revenue camera's are require to meet verifiable standards.

In reality though the are great for social media situations which can have far more real effect and can be placed on sites like this where everyone can see what really happened precisely because they are not court room standard and hence can't be turned around and used against the poster.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779614

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 23:10

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 23:10
No law against being rude, if that's your perception Gaz.

By the way, any audio or video footage can be used in evidence, just look at the way security CCTV footage is used constantly in court.

The basis of any evidence is its contestability by the opposing party, meaning if you think the video is not truthful then you have the ability to question and test the facts presented by the video image.
Speed cameras require verifiable speed detection accuracy, nothing to do with the image itself as long as the image can clearly identify the detected vehicle.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 779652

Reply By: Going Bush - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 23:28

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 23:28
Ive got a BlackVue DR400g HD, about $350
The camera is un-noticible, Its permanantly mounted on the windscreen behind /infront of the mirror - you cant see it unless you know its there. It dosent even look like a camera so the typical druggie would not even think to take it.

It also records speed /gps position as well as 10 or so hours of HD

check this clip I put up on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_CTzhbXPOA

NSW police are keen to follow up the matter , you can read the Hilux rego from the SD card output, Youtube resolution isnt as good as the actual files

AnswerID: 502921

Sponsored Links