Second hand Tvan

Submitted: Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 18:37
ThreadID: 100055 Views:5852 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone! Hope you're all enjoying some summer camping. I am looking at purchasing a second hand Tvan and am fairly new to the camper trailer world (I currently have a rooftop tent), I'm after some advice about what to look out for in a second hand setup in terms of things that may be worn out or any general tips or hints Any advice much appreciated! Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:24

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:24
G'day Taspa
I have a Tvan and find they are a great bit of kit.
It has only done a few trips and only a couple of minor problems.
Total travelled is under 15,000km so the life or wear and tear of components past that I can't comment on. It has been off road and is well mannered in all situations.
I have added a couple of items which are either non standard or far too expensive to buy from Tvan themselves. ie extra 60 litre fuel tank under chassis, has own pump for decanting to vehicle. Very handy.

The rear door struts should be tested for their ability to hold the door open if they have had a lot of use.

I modded the rear floor so the level remained the same all the time instead of flexing to different levels when a person stood on it.

You should of course check the kitchen and cooker operation as some don't stay lit sometimes. Thermocouple seems to say no and shuts off the gas. Relighting the only thing to do there.

If you let us know where you are you might be close so we can arrange a look see.
I might even sell mine as I can't get to use it much anymore.

Cheers

Ross M
AnswerID: 502892

Follow Up By: Member - batsy - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:43

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:43
Hi taspa, we have a TVAN Canning with quite a few extras.Bought second hand in 2009,the unit has travelled nearly 100,000km ,a lot of this over outback Australia including the Canning Stock Route,Gunbarrel & Cape York.It has never missed a beat (now that I have said that watch things go amiss).The brake linings have been replaced (normal wear & tear) and that is the sum of it.It has been through some quite frightful storms with no problems.Suggest you have a look at the TVAN forum at www.tracktrailerforums.com
you will get a wide range of comments from here.If you are near by (South East Queensland) maybe we can make contact for further information.
Cheers Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 779459

Reply By: Member - Des Lexic - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:46

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:46
G'day Taspa, I have a Tvan as well and we have done a fair bit of travelling with it.We have had no troubles with ours. It's a 2006 model. Some of the earlier models had stove issues with the flames being blown out with the wind.
There is a Track-trailer forum which has lots of good specific advice. Google tracktrailer forum.
There are three for sale on Gumtree as well as a couple (I think) on here n the classifieds
Best wishes with it all
Des.
AnswerID: 502895

Reply By: Tastpa - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:01

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:01
Thanks everyone. It seems hard to 'not' get one now!! It would almost be negligent of me if I don't buy one based on those comments ;)
Ross, if you're serious about selling, I'm in Melbourne let me know if you are and we can swap details??
AnswerID: 502897

Reply By: rocco2010 - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 22:37

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 22:37
Gidday

I have travelled with some people who have a Tvan and they are indeed a terrific thing. As a note of caution I have read elsewhere of an owner who ticked all the option boxes when buying new and then found the tow ball weight was a bit much for his tug. Do your research carefully.

Cheers

AnswerID: 502908

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 22:47

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 22:47
Tvan ball weight varies between 100 and 170kgs depending on what gets loaded onto the drawbar. Most are around 130kgs. Not a problem for most vehicles, unless its a smaller SUV like my wife's Tig which can tow 2000kgs but no more than 100kgs allowed on the towbar.
FollowupID: 779591

Reply By: Peter G20 - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:33

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:33
Hi there Tapsta.
We just recently purchased our second off road camper trailer and looked at a number of models/brands.
We were very impressed with the Ultimate and the T Van.
However we ended up going for the Eureka hard floor modle from Camper Trailers WA.
Its made in Wangara near where we live in Perth WA and I thought it offered much more space and functionality than the other two more expensive models.
No matter which one you buy, the above brands are all of an excellent standard.

Cheers

Pete

ps. It pays to repack the wheel bearings/check for wear, after purchasinng a second hand rig not knowing if its history ie - spent much time in deep water crossings or travelled many miles!!
AnswerID: 502954

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 22:52

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 22:52
If you buy a Tvan secondhand, chances are that you will lose little in depreciation over future years. Paid $28k for mine 3 years ago and it will still fetch that now, and it's 10 years old. Don't be afraid of the older TVans - not a lot changed over the years.
AnswerID: 502989

Sponsored Links