Wheel clamps for a cavaran

Submitted: Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 20:00
ThreadID: 100058 Views:2751 Replies:5 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
I'm interested in feedback as to the best model of wheel clamp for my van.
The forum has the best and brightest brains associated with the RV world and someone must know the answer.

Thanks in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Eric Experience - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:23

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:23
Chain through the wheel and around the spring. simple and easy to carry. Eric
AnswerID: 502900

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 23:35

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 23:35
Wheel clamp or chains – a 4 inch right angle grinder will have it off in no time.
My insurance company said they wouldn’t accept my $200 hardened steel wheel chains and high security padlocks (totaling $400) and only required a cheap $5 padlock with a soft steel $20 clamp covering the towball hitch.
Want a couple of chains and locks at a bargain price?
FollowupID: 779487

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 06:59

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 06:59
Another good backup is sim card style tracking device, $60 for the tracker and about $100 a year to run a telstra next g prepaid sim card, if its stolen, you can track it to 5 metres away. Hope this helps. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502926

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:09

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:09
Hi Michael – please explain.
With this device, what is the point of being able to track it for 5 metres.
Surely you would want to track it 100’s of kilometres away?
FollowupID: 779514

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 13:22

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 13:22
Dennis, mate, maaaate,

I think he meant you could track it to wherever the thief took it - to an accuracy of 5 metres.

Unless I've missed a little joke with no smileys, in which case disregard my serious answer.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 779532

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 18:09

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 18:09
Thanks Frank.
No joke - just understood it as it was writ.
Anyway Michael if you are still on channel - could you list the name of the device - I'd be most intersted to have a look at it.
FollowupID: 779557

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 19:10

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 19:10
Hi Dennis, and Yes Frank, i meant track anywhere in Australia to within 5 metres. Dennis, i wouldn't joke about the theft or trying to deter theft of peoples hard earned possesions. The unit is on Ebay, there are many but the one that stands out is about $50. I will get the item number or a link for you. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 779699

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:08

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:08
Thanks for the reply Michael
FollowupID: 779717

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:40

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:40
Dennis, Its a TK 102B GPS Tracker. Available on Ebay. the B model has extra memory inside and you can buy with a charging lead so you would need a small 12v battery in the van to keep it active. A seller called centcoin, he has what you need. Just check what Sim will work, they say 2g but they also say later ones would be ok. Next G would be best i think so just check with the seller or do some research on Google, plenty info there.. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 779723

Follow Up By: Dennis Ellery - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 23:07

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 23:07
Thanks again
FollowupID: 779727

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 16:54

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 16:54
Hi

Be careful before you purchase gadgets like this.....it looks exactly like the one I purchased and yes they work...around town....damn useless for picking up a signal inside the caravan or vehicle out side of a strong signal area

Look for one that has either a small external antennae or the ability to plug in an external antennae.......then you will be most likely satisified........at least then if you need to track your item you have a chance of having the system work for you

cheers
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 779793

Reply By: graham B9 - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 08:14

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 08:14
You can run a mercury switch to the electric brakes to the main caravan battery. In this way once the caravan is moved or attempted to be moved the brakes will lock on. This is not using the brakesafe / breakaway battery.

The switch self turns off after a few minutes to save power but comes on again once a person attempts to move the van again. Same principal as a booby trap. Active only once moved.
AnswerID: 502932

Follow Up By: GEMAC Solar and Power - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:17

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 10:17
Hi Grahame
best idea I have heard of on here in a long time.

Simple mercury switch and a small timer relay and its all STOP.
Keyswitch over ride for travel and simply lock it up when parked.

Ten out of Ten

Total cost about $40 and labour to fit. (free labour for any handyman)

As jeremy clarkson would say....Brilliant.

thankz
Geoff
FollowupID: 779609

Follow Up By: Off-track - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 17:16

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 17:16
I like it but if a crook was willing and able to grind through a chain and/or padlock they might be just as willing to snip the electrical wires to the brakes?
FollowupID: 779796

Reply By: Member -Shakeejob - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 13:27

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 13:27
Thanks for some good ideas, the mercury switch sounds the way to go as it uses the carvans braking system.

Cheers
AnswerID: 503015

Follow Up By: K&FT - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 20:12

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 20:12
for a more modern approach that avoids the use of a mercury switch why not a "fridge switch" connected to a relay. It would do the same thing.

frank
FollowupID: 779634

Follow Up By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 20:48

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 20:48
very interesting topic and two good solutions.........

my query is related to either the mecury or fridge switch suggestions

Fist I need to understand how the caravan electric brake system works.

I assume that the amount of "force" the brakes are applied is regulated by the variation in voltage supplied from the electronic brake controller when used in towing etc

.........if that is correct and the solutions offered apply the full 12+ volts to the brakes when motion is detected......and lets assume for say a period of 15mins.......does that maximum voltage for that sustained length of time cause any harm to the electo magnets in the caravan braking system?

or does the brake controller work different to varying voltage?

thanks
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 779639

Follow Up By: GEMAC Solar and Power - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 22:28

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 22:28
hi Bungarra

well firstly the fridge switchis aplunger type of switch and would require some sort of pushing force to operate.
The mercury switch is a glass tube partly filled with mercury. when movement is detected either forward or reverse ihe mercury sloshes in the tube and maked an electrical contact with the two probes instaled into the glass.
The use of a timer relay could set the time to be way less than 15mins. Set up correctly the brakes would be applied as soon as movement was detected and the timer could keep it applied for maybe another 5 to 10 seconds after movement had ceased.
Repeat the movement and the same situation applies. Brakes on. then off.
This would mean the brakes would not have the full voltage applied for more than a very short period of time.
In response to you question re the brake controller, the majority installed these days utilise proportional braking in relation to the de-exceleration of the car. this is triggered via an input from the brake light circuit.
ther are some controllers that just apply a voltage as well. And its not proportional.
If you wish to know a little more or require a circuit diagrame or a completed unit, I think I could have them made for a very reasonable price. And fitting /wiring instructions supplied for the DIY pereson.
And as mentioned in my previous post ther would be a keyswitch to disable the system when moving.
To make it failsafe the key would only be removable when parked.
Hope this all makes some sense.

Geoff
FollowupID: 779646

Follow Up By: GEMAC Solar and Power - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 22:31

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 22:31
Meant to say that the full voltage applied for say 5 - 15 secs would be ok on the brake solenoids. They get alot more when some people use the brakes for hill descents.

Geoff
FollowupID: 779647

Follow Up By: K&FT - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:38

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:38
The fridge switch I was referring to is the one that senses movement and turns on and stays n while there is movement then switches off after a few minutes of inactivity.

I believe it utilises some sort of trembler mechanism to sense movement. It is that action that tells your caravan fridge it is ok to run on 12volt. Hence the name fridge switch. made in Australia by RV electronics.

When in the on position 12 volt would be applied to the brakes until it switch off releasing the brakes until it detected movement again and would then put the brakes full on. I think someone trying to tow your van away would get sick of that pretty quick.

frank
FollowupID: 779722

Follow Up By: GEMAC Solar and Power - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 08:08

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 08:08
Hi Frank
I must apologize for the misunderstanding in relation to the word fridge switch.
I come from an electrical and electronic security background and the term fridge switch in our trade/industry relates to a small push-on switch similar to those used on some cupboards to turn on/off lights etc.
I have looked at the RV Electronics web site and agree that for the price they show its not worth the effort to travel and source the components to make up a movement braking sensor.
Thanks for the explanation and pointing me in the right direction.

This device will be the bees knees to make the breaking system as required.
As a further addition to the system, how about a security alarm siren that would operate when the tow brake alarm is activated.
And a word worth thinking about is not to arm the system while you are aboard, especially if the siren is fitted.
Imagine at night the embarrassment of the alarm going off.

The old saying.........
If the van is rockin, dont bother knockin.

Geoff
FollowupID: 779736

Reply By: dagsndogs - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 00:05

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 00:05
Hey Ronnie,
Weld the hubs to the stub axles....one less mobile chicane out there. :) :)
Just a giggle mate.
I have 140kg Ridgeback X Bullmastiff's in the Troopy and no ones tried to take the camper. Funny that.
Tor
AnswerID: 503120

Sponsored Links