Oziexplorer

Submitted: Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:15
ThreadID: 100062 Views:2433 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guys how do i create a map for a CE device?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 22:48

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 22:48
need more info
AnswerID: 502912

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 23:21

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 23:21
as per previous poster.....cant answer your question as it is too vague..........

if you have digital maps already then all you need to do is to load them onto the device you have CE on.... then tell it where to look

if you are really trying to "create" a map then you will need to scan one on your computer and save in the correct format for Ozi to read...then transfer as per above
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502917

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 00:19

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 00:19
Hi

Could confuse you more but here is the OziCe Maps Webpage

OZiCe Maps

If you are starting from scratch and have no maps whatsoever then most people don't "create" maps but either obtain free ones or purchase commercial ones for their area of interest, probably easiest for a new chum. However if you are keen its not hard to create a map (i.e. scan/calibrate or maybe download certain maps) so provide a few more clues and advice will be forthcoming.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502922

Follow Up By: vb2cans - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 13:06

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 13:06
In Oziexplorer I can see that if I use internet maps in oziexplorer it cache's all the files I need for my map.
How can I join all the cached images and make a map from that.
FollowupID: 779530

Reply By: vb2cans - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 13:29

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 13:29
In Oziexplorer I can see that if I use internet maps in oziexplorer it cache's all the files I need for my map.
How can I join all the cached images and make a map from that.
AnswerID: 502961

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 17:48

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 17:48
Hi

You cant, that is not using OziExplorer or the associated cached images. You will have to use programs like MoBAC (use old version new version no longer supports google earth/maps), gMapMaker, googleMV etc. Touchy subject as there are some copyright issues apparently (?) so best we don't discuss finer details here.

So..you will have to do a search and research using other forums/resources. GPSAustralia maybe a good one to look at, and GpsPasSion....and also OziExplorer users groups..

OziExplorer User Group

OziCE User Group

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779556

Reply By: vb2cans - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:06

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:06
How can there be any copyright problems as Google maps are free and so are Bing maps?
Is this a forum that you can’t talk about how to make maps. ??

In Google earth there is a setting that allows you to cache images if this was illegal this would not be an option. Same as oziexplorer it also caches maps. I don’t think Des would have done anything illegal.
None of the above programs use the info that oziexplorer has cached. It wants you to use their program to download all the images again. And not just a track.
AnswerID: 502978

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 22:28

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 22:28
Its not a touchy subject. This forum is fine. There are heaps of users around.

Not sure what "cached" means in this context but I think the problem is that the cached Google images are not in a format that Ozice is capable of reading.

Ozi does not create maps. It displays an image/picture of a map and shows you where you are on that image. And other things but that is its basic function. You could scan the Playboy centerfold, give the corners of the image a geographical reference and display that as a "map". You could have fun doing circles all day!!!!

You create a "map" for OziCE on the PC using Oziexplorer and the image (scanned etc) of the "map" that you want. The full version of Ozi and OziCE use exactly the same files. When importing the image to Ozi you need the geographical references for the four corners.

Did that help?

Phil

FollowupID: 779585

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 22:43

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 22:43
I read again what was said about copyright and should say more.

Copyright is an issue that you must be aware of when converting data or using protected data or programs without permission. I don't use Google maps so I will not comment on their copyright protection. Just be aware of it.

Phil
FollowupID: 779590

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:47

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:47
Hi

Just because something is free doesn't mean there are no copyright/terms of use attached and it certainly doesn't mean you can by default do whatever you like with the product in question...but of course in some cases you can. You may be allowed to use the data for one purpose but not another - hence apparent "free for all" because you can cache images, look at them later, view them in Ozi etc. Modifying said images for use elsewhere (i.e. in other programs) may not be OK? I don't actually know the truth in this instance and was just being cautious.

So, best to read the copyright/terms of use associated with Google Earth etc and see what it says, I haven't so can say anything for certain. I see no problem using them for you own personal use in whatever fashion you like even if there was some sort of copyright - but spreading the word may attract unwanted attention, maybe, don't know. The guy who made MoBAC was obliged to remove Google earth/maps from his list of map sources but I don't know the full story as to why. The only explanation I have seen was something about overloading Google server with image/map downloads but I find that hard to believe as it should cope given number of users just looking under normal circumstances..so therefore I have assumed there was a copyright/terms of use issue.

Anyway I have provide some keywords on "map making" above and a google search will reveal all.

Cheers
Greg

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779618

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:50

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:50
You put it much better than I do Greg.

Phil
FollowupID: 779619

Sponsored Links