Engine Oils For GU Patrol 4.2ltr Diesel Wagon 1999

Submitted: Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 21:43
ThreadID: 100064 Views:4108 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Guy's it's me again,
I looked up the oils that you recomended and found that there is three different Mobil Delvac Oil's, Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 High Performance Diesel Engine Oil, Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40 Extra High Performance Diesel Engine Oil and Mobil Delvac MX ESP 15W-40.

Which one is the right one ?

Cheers
Danny J
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ross M - Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 23:22

Friday, Jan 18, 2013 at 23:22
G'day Danny

The Mobil Delvac MX ESP is formulated for engines having a DFP Diesel Particulate Filter. It is supposed to control/limit/have less ash content going down the exhaust from oil burnt off cylinder walls and from an EGR system.
So that one will be overkill for you.
The first two will do the job well, although the Extra is probably best suited to turbo as is the ESP.
If NA engine then the normal Delvac MX is perfect for you.
Any of these oils will keep the insides clean and perform well.
It is good you are going to use a quality oil, that way you will have little or no oil related troubles, unlike some using lesser oils.

Cheers

Ross M
AnswerID: 502918

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 07:24

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 07:24
HI Ross,
Do you mind if I ask a complementary question as you seem to be knowledgeable in this area.
I have just bought a model with the same engine but mine is a 2005 4.2 turbo diesel Patrol.
The previous owner said he always used Delo 400 oil.... is that a good oil to keep using or is there a better oil for the Patrol 4.2?
Thanks
Cheers
FollowupID: 779501

Follow Up By: Ross M - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 16:28

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 16:28
G'day Wamuranman,
The Caltex Delo 400 is quite ok for your type of engine and is well recognized as doing a good job world wide.

I know Micheal uses the Valvoline Super. It seems to be ok but some people regard Valvoline the same as the Cheap offerings of BP oil.

Either the Delo 400 or the the Mobil Delvac MX would be my choice.

What everyone should be aiming at is an oil which seals rings better than others, this gives more power, more economy if lucky, and then there is less blowby because of the better ring/piston/cylinder wall sliding seal.
This is a dynamic thing and some oils do it far better than others despite the claims on the packaging.
There are some local trendy oils around and aren't much cheaper if at all and they appear to be involved with a few problems in the oil usage and sealing performance area.

If you have better sealing, the internals of the engine is polluted at a slower rate, the oil remains cleaner for longer and the better oil should then be costing you less as the service interval can be maximised with no loss of engine protection.
Generally cheaper oils don't perform as well and although cheaper, they have to be changed more often because of the contamination level. Changing more to provide a suitable level of engine protection means they will cost more.
In my HJ61 landcruiser the oil was changed at 8,000 to 10,000km depending on the usage.
A local transport company uses Mobil full synthetic in their B doubles and oil changes at 20,000km. Selected for that purpose. Over kill for your engine however.

Regards

Ross M
FollowupID: 779551

Follow Up By: Member - Wamuranman - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 17:29

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 17:29
Thanks Ross for the good info, appreciated.
Cheers
FollowupID: 779555

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 07:08

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 07:08
Its a low tech 30 old engine, I just use Valvoline Super in my 4.2 TDi. Now with 350,000ks and goin like a train. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502927

Sponsored Links