Comment: Maralinga via Colona

Should Oak Valley read Ooldea in the driving directions noted as I can't locate oak valley on any maps ?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 08:45

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 08:45
You don't go anywhere near Oak Valley between Colona and Maralinga.
Colona is a ruin on the Eyre highway where you head north to the trans line and then to Maralinga.
AnswerID: 502935

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 13:19

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 13:19
Hi Colin

I am the culprit that wrote the Trek notes, and what is written is correct. The reason why there is a mention of Oak Valley, is because when I made waypoints at all intersections and the like, the main road up from Colona is the main access to the Aboriginal Community of Oak Valley, which is still more than 110 kilometres north west from Maralinga.

The picture below will show no indication of Maralinga, but in actual fact it is also the main road to Maralinga.Up until now it has been out of bounds to all but those that had to do work there, or if you were very fortunate to be able to be granted a permit.

The main road up from Colona is a super wide sealed road made for the mining industry and the only dirt that you will have to do, is only around 80 kilometres from the turn off of the above picture, through Ooldea and then on to the main north/south bitumen Watson to Maralinga road.

It is a great drive and if you have the chance, it is a trip well worth doing. The only problem now, is Robin's phone message bank is full, as I have been trying to get hold of him since before Christmas and is still full, as of Thursday when I tried to get hold of him last.

Please feel free to ask any further questions.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502958

Follow Up By: Member - Colin J1 (WA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 16:27

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 16:27
Many thanks, that has now made it clear. Passing by in April & sounds worthy of a visit if access is granted.

Cheers

Colin
FollowupID: 779550

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 17:26

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 17:26
Hi Colin

If you are passing, it is well worth the trip up to Maralinga. I should have also said that even though it is only about 80 kms of dirt, it is a good wide dirt road and usually in quite good condition. When you get to Ooldea, you will give Robin a call so he can be at the Security gates to let you in.

Have a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 779554

Sponsored Links