How do you get Shonky maps onto Garmin Nuvi 500?

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 10:25
ThreadID: 100074 Views:3224 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have been through a lot of threads but couldn't find an answer. I have downloaded shonky maps onto my computer and also onto my Garmin unit but they don't appear on the unit when I access maps. There is no option on the unit to switch between maps. On the unit are the standard citynavigator maps that came with the unit. has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Graeme W (NSW) - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:01

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:01
Hi Gabriel,

I've got Shonky on a Nuvi 1450T. I'm not sure if there are any differences with the 500.

I've put the maps onto the Nuvi on a micro SD card. To find them on the device I select tools/settings/map then at the bottom of the map page click on "info". This page should show both Shonky and city navigator. You can then deselect cn to use your Shonky maps.

Hope this helps.

Graeme
Lake Eyre 2011

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 502946

Follow Up By: Gabriel S - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:02

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 12:02
By Jove You've Got It!
When I went into the Map Info option both lots of maps were ticked, by unticking the exiting map set the garmin only show Shonky maps.
This means I now know how to switch between the two.

Thank you.
FollowupID: 779521

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 15:49

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 15:49
You also may need to change map detail i.e..lowest ...medium ...high etc to get the most from your shonky map set
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 779549

Reply By: The Explorer - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:11

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 11:11
Hi

While we are waiting for someone with a 500 that knows the truth I seem to remember that some Garmin Nuvis don't have capacity to utilise more than one map set and/or read files that don't have specific file names....not sure if the 500 falls into this category...

Firstly be careful not to overwrite the existing map file which I assume is called gmapsupp.img (make a backup) - this contains citynavigator and cant be replaced if you delete/overwrite it.

If the unit has an SD card place the shonky file onto it in a folder called Garmin. Rename the shonkly file to gmapsupp.img if thats not whats its called already. If that doesn't work then I cant help any further. You could put the map on internal memory but that would require you to remove the existing file called gmapsupp.img (citynavigator)..which may not be suitable outcome.

Good Luck

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502947

Sponsored Links