Ningaloo Station

Submitted: Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 19:03
ThreadID: 100082 Views:5211 Replies:5 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
went for a drive down to Ningaloo Station from Exmouth where i live, the route i took was via Yardie Creek, first stop was Winderabandi, cant get down to the beach there like i use to as u need to go to the homestead and get a key, this is whether ur camping there or there for the day, needless to say i did not see anyone camping on the coast from Winderabandi through to North Lefroy Bay, everything is now fenced off, if u want to camp or go to the beach for the day everything is to be paid for including collecting a key to go through a gate to the beach, good idea i dont know or care, things are definately changing on the coast here, on Ningaloo Station saw more goats than i ever had in my 12 years here.

Cheers
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: 02.murray - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 19:34

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 19:34
I don't know if it is good or bad....but I can tell you, that we paid to camp at Ningaloo for a week in 2010 - we were less than impressed that we only had access to the one site that we chose because of the keyed access. We would have liked to look around and spend a day at another of the camping areas - but this wasn't an option. Much preferred Warroora.
AnswerID: 502975

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 19:44

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 19:44
Thanks for that murray, we camped at Warroora (Warah?) a couple of years ago and thought we might try Ningaloo the next time just for a change. Might give it a miss.

Mark, is that the station owners or DEC that have locked the place up?

On a slightly different note we found not all the goats are wandering around munching grass. Some of them have found out you can hire small vans with a lot of scribble on the side. One of them very nearly had his holiday ended there and then by pulling out onto the highway about 50 meters in front of my loaded Cruiser ute with a 2500 kg van behind traveling at about 90 kph.

Cheers
Pop
FollowupID: 779558

Follow Up By: Gotlost - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:38

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 20:38
Pop its the station owner who has instigated this, Murray has a point there also in that if u wish to go to another beach on the station u have to obtain a different key, i could not believe wot i saw down there not having been there for 4 years even though i live locally, having camped there on and off for many years in the summer i dont think its worth the effort to camp there anymore.

Cheers
Mark

FollowupID: 779569

Follow Up By: pop2jocem - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 22:36

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 22:36
Cheers Mark, I knew DEC were locking a lot of that coast. Didn't know the stations were doing it too

Pop
FollowupID: 779588

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 22:38

Saturday, Jan 19, 2013 at 22:38
It is their business, and there are some lovely spots along the coastline. No doubt keys became necessary after people doing the wrong thing. It is a beautiful stretch of coastline.

When we drove through Ningaloo station some years ago there were lots of goats, leaving us with the impression that sending feral goats on the meat market was more lucrative than cattle. A lot of stations at the time had come to that conclusion.

At that time they hadn't started the camping venture and i thought what a golden opportunity they had to do so.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 502987

Reply By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 09:04

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 09:04
Is Ningaloo a station over which there was a campaign to keep it out of the hands of national parks not too long ago?
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 502998

Follow Up By: Gotlost - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 09:47

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 09:47
yes thats right Kev, by 2015 DEC will take a strip of coastal land approximately 2 kilometres wide from Ningaloo Station south to Quobba Station, then who knows what they will do with it.

Cheers
Mark
FollowupID: 779606

Follow Up By: Member - Serendipity(WA) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:10

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:10
From what I have read in 2015 all pastoral leases in WA will expire. DEC will try to acquire as many as possible and only those that are actively being farmed will be able to reapply getting only a 25 year lease rather than the previous 99 year leases.

I believe DEC is attempting to acquire the 2km of the entire WA coastline. Might be a bit over dramatic but it just seems that way.

All this land kept aside for future generations to wonder what is there.

There is so much of WA I am disappointed when I hear of it being locked away.

Serendipity

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779613

Follow Up By: Member - Kevin S (QLD) - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:34

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 11:34
Thanks Gotlost and Serendipity. But do DEC have a record of locking up and denying entry? I thought they tended towards some development, a self registration kiosk and entry and camping charges.
Cheers,
Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779617

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 12:47

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 12:47
its just scaremongering. far far far more of australia is locked away as either aboriginal land or pastoral land often the only places you can visit is the DEC areas. Alot of area has been opened up for visitors over the last few years where previously there was no access

an example is access to the western side of the Kennadey ranges which used to be no access until DEC aquired part of the station there allowing access. There are also a growing number of stations NE of Perth which were previously signed as keep out but are now DEC owned
FollowupID: 779624

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 21:02

Sunday, Jan 20, 2013 at 21:02
The locked gate issue is to give Ningaloo campers security so they can leave their camps all day to fish and not worry about their solar panels being nicked by day trippers etc - yes, it was happening so its the usual case of a few numptys spoil it for the rest but its also made it safer for the kids with less beach traffic.

The goats are indeed farmed intentionally, they even have geep now which apparently produces top quality fleece!! True story - Phil told me.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 503037

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:37

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:37
Hi Michelle,

Saw a few of those odd looking animals, half sheep, half goat when we were up there in 09. Never heard a name for them though, so thank you for mentioning them. Geep - love it!

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779989

Follow Up By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:48

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:48
heehee - and I think it is spelled "Gheep".
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779992

Reply By: Gina T - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 17:00

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 17:00
Hi Mark

we are planning a trip early April and staying at winderabandi point and was wondering what the yardi creek crossing was like the other day when you went across? iknow our trip is a few months away but i was wanting your opinion as we are going to exmouth for the night to get supplies etc and thought this would be quicker than going back along the track. also what was the track like the other day i have herd its pretty bad but you have been there the most recent so again i would love your opinion.
Any other advice as its been 20 years since we last made this trip and camped at windy point

cheers
Gina
AnswerID: 503294

Follow Up By: Gotlost - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 22:29

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 22:29
Hi Gina,
Yardie Creek is easy to cross i had no problems, if we have cyclonic rains between now and the end of the cyclone season it will close Yardie Creek, from Winderabandi via Yardie Creek to Exmouth is definately the way to go, the track to Yardie from Winderabandi is heavily corrugated and has always been in my 12 years here, one thing i noticed on my trip Saturday was the Ningaloo Station road from the Exmouth/Minilya Road was out right dangerous, half way along the road were sand drifts, boggy and there also were drop offs from the build up of sand, evidently there had been a fire go through there last March, if i was towing a trailer or caravan i would be taking it easy and slow to avoid damage.

Regards
Mark
FollowupID: 779961

Follow Up By: Gina T - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:32

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:32
thanks for the info, we wont be towing anything to exmouth just along the original track from the homestead to the camp, but i have herd its very bad so we will be taking it easy.

thanks again
Gina
FollowupID: 779986

Sponsored Links