Sunshine Coast

Submitted: Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 09:39
ThreadID: 100101 Views:2679 Replies:9 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

We are heading to the Sunshine Coast in about June/July. We are tossing up where to stay - currently deciding between Big4 Noosa, Maroochy Palms (no heated pool!!!) and the new park at Caloundra. We have two kids who will be 11 and 7, so we like parks that have enough for them to do (jumping pillow, playground, etc) when we have our down days.

Does anyone have any advice - must stay at van parks, things to see and do (we are already planning Australia Zoo, Tin Can Bay, Underwater World).

Thanks in advance,
Lisa Robertson
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: friar - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:19

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:19
Hello robbotd5 I live in Caloundra, the new big 4 park has only been completed in the last 12 months, looks good from the road, close to every thing ,super markets ,eaterys, swimming beaches, boat ramp & fish & chips shop a stones throw away. John.
AnswerID: 503060

Follow Up By: robbotd5 - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:57

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 10:57
Thanks for that John. We did like the look of it, was a bit worried with it being newer than any good/bad reviews wouldn't be out yet, so to speak. Have emailed them and they say there isn't a lot of road noise, which was another concern. When you say close to everything, do you mean walking or driving? If we picked Caloundra, as a local, what would be your pick of THE best place to eat - we like to treat ourselves a couple of times when away as after all, you are on holidays!!! Who wants to cook all the time!!!
FollowupID: 779672

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:38

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:38
Hi Lisa,

We had our van at the Caloundra park for 4 weeks over Christmas.
Very well run park with quite strict rules. It has a pool and jumping pillow.

If you can get a site on the creek there is little or no road noise and plenty of space.
It is on a main road so you will get your share of sirens going past.
The park is waterfront so there is a small beach just outside the gate where the boys could throw in a line if they wish.

There is a huge number of good restaurants in Caloundra with all sorts of cuisine and prices. We had a stunning meal at a restaurant called The Sandbar which is waterfront at Bulcock beach, highly recommended.

I haven't stayed at the Maroochy Palms, but have spoken to people who have and they were very impressed. Either way you should have a great time.
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503062

Follow Up By: robbotd5 - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 13:56

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 13:56
Thanks for that Rob. Definitely love hearing about great places to eat!!! It is child friendly there (our kids will be 11 and 7). Does the one at Caloundra have a playground at all or just the pool and jumping pillow? Was the pool heated?? We have a 23 foot van so always need to go with best place for space wise, but hoping if we pick there, there would be plenty of sites away from the road noise.

Thanks so much for your advice,

Lisa
FollowupID: 779681

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 14:05

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 14:05
I haven't been to the new Big4 at Caloundra, but I will one day.

However, Maroochy Palms has been our preferred park on the Sunshine Coast whenever we are there. If you choose Maroochy Palms ask for a site down the back on the grass near the lake. They are big sites, easy to get into, near a nice lake full of birdlife with a BBQ on the boardwalk.

Good clean ablutions are just a few steps away and these sites are at the opposite end to the swimming pool so when you want some quiet time, you've got it.

The only word of caution: the entry/exit to the park is on a bad bend in the road for visibility. When exiting, I always turn left, never right across the traffic, and use Fishermans Rd to get to Bruce Hwy.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 503066

Follow Up By: Martin H - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 15:46

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 15:46
Haven't stayed there but Maroochy Palms is right next to 6 lane motorway so could be a little noisy...
FollowupID: 779785

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 16:26

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 16:26
There's only an occasional bit of traffic noise from that Motorway.
It doesn't detract from a very nice CP.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779787

Reply By: Member. Rob M (QLD) - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 14:19

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 14:19
Hi Lisa,

I believe that the pool is heated, but it is worth checking.

There is a small playground, but it is probably more suited to younger children.

Most of the restaurants on the beachfront are child friendly and very casual, especially during the day.

If you can get them to send you a site plan I would suggest a site along the creek front.
We were on site 33 and any of the sites either side of it would be good.
The closer to the playground you are, the further from the road you are.

Just bear in mind the jumping pillow can get quite noisy.
Rob M

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503068

Reply By: friar - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 16:56

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 16:56
Walking distance to all the good eateries & main street,you can walk for kilometers on board walks & foot paths, Power Boat Club, RSL, Surf Club, all within walking distance. John.
AnswerID: 503077

Reply By: Martin H - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 15:44

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 15:44
Great park at Coolum Beach - right on the beach, shopping centre across the road and lots of great eatery's.

As for heated pool - this is the Sunshine Coast, we don't need to heat our pools...
AnswerID: 503147

Reply By: happytravelers - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 20:31

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 20:31
I live across the road from the Noosa Big4, so I haven't stayed there but drive past and look through the fence every day. It is a well maintained park as you would expect from Big4 but is not actually in Noosa. It's the Cooroy side of Tewantin, about a fifteen minute drive to Noosa main beach, although the bus stop is at the gate if you don't want to take your vehicle. It's on a corner between two roads so noise may be a problem but it is set well back. Now for the positives, it's a large park with all the facilities your looking for, it's across the road from the golf course if you play. Is close (5mins) to Tewantin and the river where you can hire boats, fish or visit the many restaurants etc... It is easy access to the main roads out of town without having to deal with all the traffic to visit the southern parts of the coast and zoo etc..

Hope this is of some help.
AnswerID: 503156

Follow Up By: robbotd5 - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 21:02

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 21:02
Thanks so much for that. We really liked the look of this park also and did notice it looked like it was on a main road. I am thinking if we got a site towards the back of the park (unfortunately away from the kids play equipment!!), might not be so bad. Is it a road that would be busy all the time, like through the night, etc??
FollowupID: 779809

Follow Up By: happytravelers - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:17

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:17
The roads are not busy roads as you would experience in a metropolitan area and quieten down considerably at night. One connects Tewantin with the small hinterland town of Cooroy and the other is used from the Cooroy area to bypass Noosa. I often drive along these roads at around 10pm and do not meet another car. Ask for a site away from the fence and you probably will not notice the roads.

I'm happy to help with any other local info you might need just let me know. Where are you coming from?
FollowupID: 779816

Reply By: robbotd5 - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 21:37

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 21:37
So think its now coming down to Maroochy Palms and BIG4 Noosa - hmmmm decisions, decisions. Maroochy doesn't have a heated pool but Noosa doesn't have a playground. Both close enough to all the activities we want to do. Any further input on these two alone would be extremely helpful
AnswerID: 503165

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:20

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:20
Lisa, are you a local QLDer?

If not you may be surprised, like I was (a West Aussie), to find that swimming pools in QLD, especially concrete ones, seem to retain the heat of the day in the water.

Several years ago I was living in an apartment complex in Brisbane. It had a pool and it was like sitting in a sauna. It wasn't artificially heated.

I haven't been to Noosa Big 4 but I have driven along Tewantin Beach all the way around to Rainbow Beach. It was great. Put that on your list.

cheers

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779817

Reply By: robbotd5 - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 07:58

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 07:58
Gone Bush, no we aren't Qld'ers. From NSW. I had someone from Maroochy Palms tell me that their pool isn't heated and only the brave would swim in June!! Wondered if that was cause to them the water would be cold, but to us would possibly be fine as would be warm to us - however I DON'T do cold water at all!!!! I'm a big woose when it comes to that!!!!! We will narrow it down soon enough as they both look nice.
AnswerID: 503186

Sponsored Links