theft risk

Submitted: Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 11:34
ThreadID: 100102 Views:3100 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
note to members,community newspapers in Perth reporting increase in theft of port fridges from campers,caravan parks. wouldnt be surprised if other items of value such as solar panels or Sat TV may go. thieves are going for easy pickings/ what used to be considered "safe" amongst camper fraternity to leave out unattended. may need to increase security of these items or your camper/van . have heard this trend before as well.
MG.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 13:20

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 13:20
We were amongst a heap of vans where the portable fridges went missing one night. There was a big party at the far end of the park. The only ones that went missing were those loaded with booze. Ours only had food in it and so did not wander down there. You wil probably find where the thefts of the fridges was involved the fridges were not the target. The subject of the crime was the booze and not the fridges..

If you don't want your fridge stolen, don't load it with booze.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503063

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:03

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:03
Were they bolted down or just left outside the tent/van?

Phil
FollowupID: 781567

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 14:21

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 14:21
These fridges have been a favourite target for the grubs for a while. Easy to steal and easy to sell. Don’t forget the grubs have no understanding of what it is like to work and save and buy things so they just go around and steal without any felling of guilt. They will and do steal from their own mother! They are usually very lazy so any security is better than none. If you need to leave things outside, use a security cable. Ahhhh, the low life, just gets my blood boiling, hate them with a passion. Kevin
AnswerID: 503070

Follow Up By: evaredy - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 18:19

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 18:19
I don't know about anyone else, but I have recently bought some gear for camping, Waeco 40l, a deep cycle battery and 120w solar panel. I was worried about it being left unattended while we went off exploring.

I have made a metal bracket that fits around the battery box and allows for a padlock, I have drilled a hole in the frame of the panel, big enough to take a padlock and if the fridge needs to be left out, it too has a metal strap around it and a padlock. The idea of the padlocks is so I can interlock them together using the padlock from each, I then run a steel cable around a sturdy tree and lock them altogether.

If they cut the cable, they still have to separate each unit from the padlocks, or carry the lot.

At the end of the day, if anyone really wants it, they will take it, but they have to work for it first.
FollowupID: 779870

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 08:02

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 08:02
Very good idea. You will never stop someone who really wants to steal the gear, but those grubs usually come prepared to cut cables/locks, but most grubs are opportunists and lazy and do not want to go to too much trouble to steal. Another point about doing some security is it makes an insurance claim easier. Kevin
FollowupID: 779923

Reply By: Aussie Arthur - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 21:16

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 21:16
I bought some stainless steel cable, same as used on boats and made some different length security cables, this cable can't be cut with a hacksaw or pliers, well without making a lot of noise, a special cutter, about $30.00 each, is used then you need to get some small clamps that you compress together , tool about $50.00) to make a loop at both ends and put a good padlock through , sometimes I tie everything (Chairs, Table, BBQ, Engel etc) up with the one cable and attach it to the wheel of the caravan or car, so far I have been lucky!!!
AnswerID: 504697

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:12

Thursday, Feb 14, 2013 at 09:12
Sorry to tell you this Arthur but I cut some stainless cable, about 5mm thick, with my large bull nosed pliers. I got the cable to support my 50' radio tower in the back yard and had to cut it to make up the guy wires.

I just clamped tight on it with the cutting section of the pliers and wriggled it. The cable snapped, a strand at a time, where the sharp edge scored each strand, not necessarily cut. A simple thing to tidy up but I don't think that the thieves would worry about tidying it up. Silent and quick.

Phil
FollowupID: 781568

Reply By: mike g2 - Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 16:48

Saturday, Feb 16, 2013 at 16:48
sorry guys, have been on the road, sydney and return. will post again on return.
mg.
AnswerID: 504875

Sponsored Links