Car and Trailer on The Ghan

Submitted: Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 21:04
ThreadID: 100114 Views:3218 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
After our first decent trip last year taking 8 weeks from Melbourne to Darwin to Cairns and back to Melbourne, we are planning our next trip to do the West coast.
We, include myself, Rob, the Better half Kim and our 11 yo son Will. We drive a VW diesel Passat wagon, tow a trailer with all our camping gear, including a Southern Cross tent, drifta kitchen, engel, solar panel, thumper etc.
As we've previously done the centre, was thinking of taking the Ghan from Adelaide to Katherine then heading West. We will be mainly on the bitumen.
Any thoughts on the Ghan, specially taking the car and trailer as well as red vs gold class.
Cheers and beers,
Rob, Kim and Will
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 21:36

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 21:36
I think you will find it is usually 40 - 50% less expensive going south for fares and the car.
AnswerID: 503102

Reply By: WayneD - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 15:22

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 15:22
We did the Ghana from Adelaide to Darwin with the car (LR Discovery) a few years ago and it was a great way to cover the miles in a shorter time. At that time they had a special of $99 for the car if you booked red kangaroo. I looked at having the vehicle shipped up by road transport, but they won't do it unless the vehicle is empty, and like you, we had all our camping gear with us.
Might be expensive for a car and trailer on the Ghana!
AnswerID: 503217

Sponsored Links