Important Information re Maralinga Contacts.

Submitted: Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 21:57
ThreadID: 100116 Views:2933 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi All

I have some important information for those that have been trying to get in contact with Robin up at Maralinga, either by email or his land line, re permits and information on visiting Maralinga.

I, like many that have contacted me personally, have not been able to get hold of Robin and his message bank is full. As a last resort tonight, I did something that I felt was a last resort, and tried his mobile.

Robin is safe and well and down at Ceduna at the moment and is returning next week, and he informed me that Maralinga has had no internet or land line phone coverage since late November. Around early to mid November, a lightning strike took out the phone tower at Maralinga and Telstra repaired it fairly quickly. Within a week of the repairs, lightning struck again, causing even greater damage.

This damage could not be repaired as easily, and Telstra are still working on a way of making a more reliable, lightning proof system, which at this stage could be satellite phone coverage.

Robin apologises to all those that are trying to contact him and he will endeavour to get in contact with everyone when he is back in contact with the outside world. Things are looking very positive for everyone wanting to visit Maralinga, as he is presently in meetings with the CEO regarding upgrading the amenities at Maralinga.

So do not give up hope and to those that have only thought about it, now is the perfect time to start planning your Maralinga visit.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:00

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:00
Thank you Stephen.
AnswerID: 503108

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:05

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:05
No worries eighty matey.

I was a little concerned when I could not get hold of him for so long.

Robin is giving me a call on Wednesday night to discuss a couple of other matter, so at least I know is safe and well.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779716

Follow Up By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:28

Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:28
Good on you for taking the trouble. No news is not always good news.

For all the bagging out Telstra get the people on the tools do an amazing job a lot of the time in some pretty horrendous conditions to keep us all a bit closer.

Hoo roo,
Steve

FollowupID: 779721

Reply By: Member - Graham N (SA) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 08:27

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 08:27
Thanks for that Stephen,
It was getting a bit frustrating after so many people had seen Robin around.
They should have a column on here called 'just ask Stephen' LOL.

Thanks again

Cheers

Graham
AnswerID: 503126

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 09:12

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 09:12
Hi Graham

Thanks for that and I was also one of the frustrated people also. 2 emails and countless phone calls had me asking myself what was going on.

Now we all know that the powers above made sure that he could not be contacted.....LOL

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779742

Reply By: Echucan Bob - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:38

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:38
Stephen, tantalizingly close to -30 132 as well. ( see confluence.org)
AnswerID: 503171

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:46

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:46
Hi Bob

Yes I see someone has been busy out there...lucky bugger

There is always next time.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 779821

Reply By: Member - Geoff F (VIC) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 21:41

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 21:41
Hi Stephen

Planning to visit Maralinga in April, so thanks very much for your timely message and great details.

I have sent an email to Robin to arrange the visit, but it appears he may still be out of touch. Do you have any update on his comms situation?

Sorry to impose like this, but you seem to be the man on the spot!

Thanks & Regards
Geoff
AnswerID: 504496

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 22:05

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 22:05
Hi Geoff

I think Robin should put me on a commission basis for permit help....LOL

I have helped out a couple of EO Members in the last few weeks, and received a MM the other week to say that Robin has been in contact with one member from Queensland and organized his permits.

Only last week I was contacted by an SA member, but I have not been able to get hold of Robin, even his private mobile. I will keep trying, but seeing that you have some time up your sleeve, I do not think that you will have to start to worry just yet, as like I told the other members, Robin was issuing the permits in around a two day turn over.

If you would like to send me your contact phone numbers, including mobile via the Members Messages, I will send Robin a text message with your. Details.

It is a great trip, and you will enjoy it.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781327

Sponsored Links