Poeppel Corner in NT with Dog's

Submitted: Monday, Jan 21, 2013 at 22:11
ThreadID: 100117 Views:4459 Replies:6 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
G'day
Planning a trip doing Camerons, Haddons and Poeppels Corners this winter. Research says dogs on board are do-able for the first two, but Poeppels is a no dog zone in the 2 states but what about the territory?
Advice appreciated.
Thanks
Sue Tor and Punks

PS For the Huggers. "No we don't let them chase the wild life!!"
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 01:14

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 01:14
Hi dagsdogs,
You will have to drive through a National Park to get their. Best ask NP QLD and NP SA if you can take a dog through there Parks'
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503122

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 09:48

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 09:48
No dogs allowed in the Simpson Desert.

Go to the link below and you will see Dogs in parks showing a '0'. Meaning no dogs allowed in Parks and forests within Outback Queensland. And then if you scroll down to the Simpson you will not see a dog on a leash symbol.

To see how this cheat sheet works pick the Northern QLD parks entry from the list on the left and scroll almost all the way down and you will see a Dog on a Leash symbol against the Herberton Range National Park.

No symbol = not allowed.

It's worth saving this site as a quick reference for QLD.

From our South Australian Desert Parks package valid to June/2013:
"Pets are not permitted at:
. Witjira National Park,
. Simpson Desert Conservation Park, and
. Simpson Desert Regional Reserve."

Looks like the answer is no dogs from both QLD and SA authorities. Haven't got the NT stuff.l

Phil

Parks and forests within Outback Queensland
AnswerID: 503130

Follow Up By: Shaker - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 08:28

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 08:28
So why are Aborinals not only allowed, but paid to have packs of mangy, flea & worm ridden dogs, when we are forbidden to travel in the same areas with our dogs?
FollowupID: 779833

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 09:32

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 09:32
Hmmmmmm

I hear you mate!
FollowupID: 779840

Follow Up By: equinox - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 23:38

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 23:38
Hi Shaker,

I've had a look at PJR's link, however cannot find a reference to not only where it says Aboriginals are allowed to take their dogs to areas where others cannot, but where it says they are paid to have packs of mangy, flea & worm ridden dogs.

Are you able to provide a reference please?

Best regards
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 779910

Follow Up By: dagsndogs - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 23:56

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 23:56
That's because interfering do-gooder social workers and unemployment advisers, guided by opportunistic "Social Leaders" set out programs and policy that chain our aboriginals to a path that has been set for their continued social abandonment.

I don't like what I see in any Aboriginal community, whether it's in Northern Australia or Logan in Brizzy or Fingal Head NSW and I am sure that level headed elders also agree.

I would love the opportunity to have a guided flora / fauna instructional tour of the outback by a knowledgeable Aboriginal but I fear these skills are being lost.

Yeah I hear the "paid for mangy dogs etc etc" and shudder at the thought of visiting down town Katherine, but I reckon these issues irk our true Aboriginals more than it does us. And I have no recipe for a cure.

Good luck to them and I pray they get it sorted. But I believe pride and respect crap all over social security handouts for blacks or whites yellows whatever.

My 2C

FollowupID: 779912

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 07:36

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 07:36
Hey Leave me out of this about aboriginals. Okay.

I didn't say anything about it.

Phil
FollowupID: 779922

Follow Up By: dagsndogs - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 22:01

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 22:01
That's cool dude.
FollowupID: 779959

Reply By: dagsndogs - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:35

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:35
Hi Guys,
Thanks Andys Adventures and PJR.
Whille National Parks post their sites as no domestic animals (always wondered if I and my sons fit that category.... :)!! ooo ooo and maybe the missus as she's no longer watching me type!!!!!!!! she's a ranga!! ), you are entitled to drive though a National Park with domestic animals in the vehicle "provided you do not stop at any point in the park" as advised by NPWS (NSW). Some NP's in WA and, I think, NT allow domestic animals to reside in camps provided they are restrained.
Thanks for the input
See You Out There.
AnswerID: 503169

Reply By: Smouch - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:44

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:44
Your only in trouble if you get caught. I take mine just about everywhere. Never been busted but i am carefull and discrete. If I was spoted I wouldn't be stopping to answer questions from some officious ranger. They have no power of arrest. All they can do is call the police.

I don't know what it is about this country and dogs. Travelled thru national parks in Europe and US and there is always people with there pet dog and it's even common to see major hotel chains with dedicated dog rooms. Often seen a dog being led down the passage way.

I believe part of the reason for our draconian rules is to stop parasites from domestic pet getting into the native animals. I'd be more concerned about it being the other way around.

From what I have seen most dog owners are very responsible it's just a few bogun cocks that bugger it up for the rest of us.
AnswerID: 503172

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 00:06

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 00:06
Well Smouch you are wrong, in most NPs they have compliance officers that have the right to fine you for any breach of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act.

I wouldn't be so smug if I were you.

I believe part of the reason for our draconian rules is to stop parasites from domestic pet getting into the native animals. I'd be more concerned about it being the other way around. (What a foolish statement)

This statement here ''Your only in trouble if you get caught. I take mine just about everywhere. Never been busted but i am carefull and discrete."IMHO puts you in this catagory here. ' it's just a few bogun cocks that bugger it up for the rest of us."

FollowupID: 779913

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:57

Tuesday, Jan 22, 2013 at 22:57
Probably depends on what sort of dog you have ... we met a father & son on the Simpson travelling thru in a converted MAN diesel (big bloody thing !!) and they had one of those small poodle things with them - dog was a bit of a nervous type and didn't bother anyone. It was probably more in danger of getting picked off by an Eagle...

However a pack of hounds would be a different story...
AnswerID: 503173

Reply By: dagsndogs - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 23:22

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 23:22
As I replied previously, you are entitled to traverse a National Park with domestic animals in the vehicle provided you don't stop..... Now I am inclined to suggest that a court of law would clear you if you were traversing said NP and your vehicle became stuck requiring you to employ recovery techniques/equipment....but if you allowed said "domestic animals" off lead or beyond reasonable control range the powers that be might turn your arse into a high back seat cover...
What I really want to know is......
Are dogs allowed in camp on the NT side of Poeppels Corner?
I understand that NT stands for: Not Today. Not Tomorrow. Never on a Tuesday. Not on a Thursday.... But maybe there's someone out there that will provide valid info.
Ta Tor
AnswerID: 503259

Follow Up By: Aussi Traveller - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 00:15

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 00:15
As you know if is a NP then no, if it is not then yes.
FollowupID: 779914

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 18:06

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 18:06
The NT side is not a National Park....or any sort of park that I know of. I thought it was aboriginal land. The areas in Queensland and South Australia are parks. You require a Desert Parks Pass for the South Australian ones but nothing for the Queensland one. You are only allowed to camp a limited distance from the track in the Queensland one from memory.
FollowupID: 779947

Follow Up By: dagsndogs - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 22:15

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 22:15
Thank you mikehzz. That's the info I have been seeking. I'll research more and maybe we do....maybe we don't. An interesting point on being permitted to traverse an NP with domestic Animals provided you do not stop. But what if Big Red Stops you? I guess kept under control on leads while you extricated yourself would satisfy the "reasonable man" in a court of law provided the magistrate isn't hugging the pot-plant while she/he passes judgement. See you out there Mike.
Tor, Sue and Punks.
FollowupID: 779960

Sponsored Links