Geocaching/Geoteaming

Submitted: Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 02:30
ThreadID: 10013 Views:1924 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, just curious if anyone here has got into geocaching or versions of it. If you're not familiar with the term then check out www.geocaching.com for more information.

Cheers,
Will.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gajm - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 03:53

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 03:53
Gday Will,
Did a bit of Geocaching a while back, maybe a year or 2, it was actualy a lot of fun, great way to find other camping spots, or just nice places to visit for the day, and to top it off the kids actualy loved it, they were looking forward to finding the cache and picking something out of it, we used to carry a large tub filled with things to replace what we took.....its still in the garage, saw it today when doing a much needed clean up. Now the the youngest is nearly 3 and has more energy than me, we might just get back into it, its also a great way to familiarise yourself with your GPS.
if you are thinking about doing it id say go for it, any excuse to get out is a good one, just grab a few things from maybe the $2 shop so if you do find one you have something to put back in, I know you dont have to, you can just sign the book, but if you have kids theyll want something from the "treasure" and if it means the kids are asking when we will be going for a drive again and doing another one, then im all for it!.......good family fun

Glenn
AnswerID: 44325

Follow Up By: Will - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 13:23

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 13:23
Hi Glenn thanks for your response. It looks pretty fun and a good way to get out there and explore new places.....oh and do some exercise.......MAYBE! I was also thinking that it would be great to organise some sort of geo-rally whereby everyone is given a gps co-ord to get to, once there a code or riddle to break in order to get the next co-ord and so on followed at the end by a bbq and get together. It would be a great way to explore some of the local tracks and meet people. Obviously people are in different states/cities here but what does anybody think?

Will.
FollowupID: 306571

Reply By: equinox - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 15:35

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 15:35
I placed a couple of caches when I went into the desert last year. They were at Nichols Knob, and Helena Spring. Argueably the two most remote caches placed in Australia. You can see a map of all the Australian caches HERE
I've really only a basic (and perhaps passing) interest in Geocaching, I placed the caches to try and provoke a bit of a challenge, which has so far not happened.

Equinox
AnswerID: 44365

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 19:16

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 19:16
Good work Equinox. These blokes like a challange and sooner or later it will be found. I think there is\was off the coast of SA with a lot of water on top of it. BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
maddogmorgan@mail15.com
FollowupID: 306595

Reply By: awill4x4 - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:42

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 22:42
Will, my family and I had our 1st try at geocaching this long weekend in Victoria and we searched for 4 multi caches and found 3 of them. Not bad at absolute novices I suppose.
We had an absolute ball and the kids just loved exchanging toys with whatever was in the cache. We had a stack of plastic/rubber insects to exchange so we chose our team name of "Da Bugs"
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 44565

Sponsored Links