Camper trailer insurance

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:36
ThreadID: 100138 Views:5817 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. Our car is fully insured with one company, and our camper is insured with CIL. My question is who will insure the camper trailer if for instance it come off the car in transit? Shannon's don't insure camper trailers and CIL only insure the camper against fire and theft ect...anyone got any suggestions?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Greenant - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:24

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:24
Suncorp they have a slightly higher excess for off road

AnswerID: 503202

Reply By: kev.h - Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 19:50

Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 19:50
Check with your car insurer I'm in the same boat and go through a broker the trailer is covered by the towing vehicle insurance while attached to the car for accident
And only has separate fire and theft when parked not attached to a vehicle I assume yours would be much the same
AnswerID: 503234

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 07:24

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 07:24
Many insurance companies will insure your camper for damage, fire and theft.

Our camper is insured through CGU.

It's easier dealing with one insure for the car and camper and cheap is not always best, they all say look at the product disclosure statement but you don't know how the insurance company works until you make a claim.
AnswerID: 503264

Reply By: Mal J - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 16:07

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 16:07
Our Adventure camper is insured with CIL and it covers accident,theft, fire, storm, flood, malicious damage, hail (page 11 of their PDS).
If it comes off the back of your tow vehicle then its covered but if it comes off a tow truck,flatbed or the like then it comes under there insurance.
I recently damaged the awning box and sent in some photos and all approved to get a new one with no problems.
When I did the ring around for camper insurance CIL gave the best cover for ANYWHERE in Australia we could tow it and if it required repairing in say Broome then they would transport it from the scene of the accident,repair it and ship it back to us in Newcastle as part of the claim.
Nrma on the other hand which was $30.00 PA cheaper would only provide one tow at their discretion (which would obviously be the cheapest) which would leave us to pay for the transport back to Newcastle assuming the repairs took some weeks or months by which time we were back home.
So if you get cover from any other insurance company ask them this scenario.

AnswerID: 503292

Sponsored Links