LPG - help please

Submitted: Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 10:44
ThreadID: 10015 Views:6675 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Chasing some info on LPG welding/cutting gear.

For ages there used to be ads in the car trader type magazines about a set of cutting/welding torches that could be run straight off LPG, but I can't seem to find one.

The ads claimed it could be used instead of oxy/acet for most small applications (and oxy/acet bottle rental is the killer for the home handyman) Claimed that the flame was so precise you could braze a beer can type thing.

Does anyone have one of these systems? If so how have you found it?

Does anyone know how to get in to touch with the manufacturers/distributors?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Foss - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 12:08

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 12:08
G'Day Dennis

LPG on it's own cannot produce enough heat to cut/weld steel. you could braze or silver solder though.

What you can get is Oxy/LPG instead of Oxy Acetaline. Oxy/LPG will do anything a home handyman would want to attemp including cutting and welding.

I would ask at a BOC gas centre or welding supplier, they should be able to point you in the right direction.

cheers
Foss
AnswerID: 44346

Follow Up By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 13:40

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 13:40
Thanks Foss, but not after a oxy/lpg set up.

Can't remember the name of the system but it ran off LPG (only) and was made locally here in Aus.

Was only for very small home handyman stuff. Only ever saw it sold/advertised in the trade-a-car type magazines and it was obviously a low budget operation making/selling them.

Probably not worth the money, but if they worked at all they would be very handy to have stuffed in the back of the ute. Always have LPG on hand after all, even out camping, etc.
FollowupID: 306572

Reply By: navaraman - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 15:41

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 15:41
Try your local plumbing supplier, Reece or Tradelink. There are two types that might fit the bill. Primus make a.38kg blue propane (I think) cylinder which with a brazing nozzle will do most of what you need. There is another system, can't remember the manufacturer (yellow cylinder) that is used by many plumbers for welding/brazing the odd copper pipe joint in the roof when it's not worth getting the oxy gear out. I've used them and they work well. Not as cost effective as oxy/acetylenefor regular users but very handy for the odd job now and again.
AnswerID: 44366

Follow Up By: Jarrod - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:51

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:51
The yellow cylinder is refered to in the trade as "razor gas". My bro is a plumber, thats all he uses. Days of oxy are gone for him. I'll ask him more about it, pretty sure the cylinders require annual rent, but main Adv. is no special vented transport container as for oxy. - And its only a small single cylinder, no hoses regs etc.

Will ask him more 2nite over a few Australia Day ales....

Jarrod.
FollowupID: 306589

Reply By: navaraman - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 16:18

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 16:18
The small yellow cylinders are MAPP gas. saw them in the plumbers merchants today. Not sure of price.
AnswerID: 44483

Sponsored Links