How economical are Hilux 2.7 efi 2002

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 23, 2013 at 23:21
ThreadID: 100154 Views:8804 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Phil T.
Looking at buying a hilux 2.7 efi 2002 cab and tray truck and have heard that they are not good on fuel economy?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DiscoTourer - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 01:17

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 01:17
Phil,

A good number of years back in one of the 4x4 magazines I distinctly recall a tow test comparison between the Playdo with the 4 cylinder and one with the V6. The V6 was obviously quicker, but what surprised them was the the 4 cylinder was more economical towing...and by a decent amount. Maybe that's the way it is, but they expected more torque would mean less fuel when towing....but that may only apply for diesel to petrol with similar size motor though.

Someone I know that works at Toyotaways states that they are a good reliable motor.

Brett...
AnswerID: 503260

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 06:02

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 06:02
G,day Phil,
Owned one for years & done 320,000km no problems. Very reliable.

Yes they are quite thirsty in comparison with the diesel I owned beforehand. Pretty good if you drop 10Ks off your speed. Pretty good power wise though even for towing but when I tow a loaded trailer with mine the fuel consumption does increase markedly.

For my next one I will go back to Diesel mainly because offroad I don't like the max Torque coming in at such high revs. Have to gun it to get over steep loose sandhills. If your not going offroad then on road performance is good & you can buy a lot of petrol with the money you saved over buying the diesel.
No timing belt to change either.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 503262

Reply By: The Bantam - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 15:18

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 15:18
I've heard people say they are thursty...sorry compared to WOT.

I have one....remember it is a commercial vehicle that will carry two people and a full 1 tonne in the tray AND tow 1.8 tonnes...

The engine is a 2.7 liter fuel injected 4 cylinder that will produce more power than the 4.1 litre six out of the XF longreach and the 253 V 8 of the HQ 1 tonner......

At arround 1.5 tonnes dry, the hilux weighs more than both, neither of which BTW would carry in tonne in the tray.

Compared to those, it positivly sips.

I steped out of a mitsui L300 with the 1600 motor and into the hilux.....with a full load on at higway speeds, the hilux is more economical.

If ya put ya foot down, of course it will drink more fuel than the same vehicle in diesel (got one of those to), because it makes a heap more power, and it goes like it.

Becuase it is a commercial vehicle and is designed to shift weight..a good thing if you are towing, it is geared relativly low...if you run it at 130Kmh....it will drink
Run it arround the 100 to 110, they are not too bad.

They are a great vehicle.

Acouple of things.
they ride like a dray with nothing in the back......put something in the back.

If you pump the tyres up too hard, they ride like a dray....inflate the tyres to specification.not 55 pis all round like the tyre shops do.

They ride like a dray if the shockies are biggered, which if still the factory ones..they will be.....a few hundred bocks on some good new shockies is money well spent.

If its a good example go for it.
cheers
AnswerID: 503291

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 22:48

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 22:48
I have a 2002 Workmate 2wd with a service body and around town I get about 15 l/100 I think. Mine weighs in at 2300kgs all the time. it has done 130k kms and has been dead reliable except when it spat a spark plug out. Not loose, just stripped the thread. Very tough truck.
AnswerID: 503312

Sponsored Links