TV Antenna for the van

G,Day Everyone
A bit off the 4x4 track with this queery, but seeing as a lot of us combine the two hobbies, --out backing it, and also caravaning, I thought I might get an answer to a van antenna problem.------I've never had much success with my Winegard Aerial on the van, and have been looking for a replacement of sorts.---I've had a read about JACK RV digital antenna's, and there seems to be a lot of good reports from different forums, but I trust this forum much more for feedback, so was wondering has anyone used or got this type of antenna on their van and if so what sort of results
Cheers All...........Sapper D
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - willawa - Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 22:31

Thursday, Jan 24, 2013 at 22:31
Hi Sapper

found these units from Jaycar to be very good.

CAT. NO. LT3137
RRP $99.00

Digital Indoor/Outdoor Antenna

As global television moves from analogue to digital, this indoor/outdoor digital antenna will be a great investment in your household. With its contemporary style it will provide you with the high quality clear reception needed. The panel can mounted to the wall; great for minimising space. AC adaptor included.

Specifications:
• Frequency range: VHF - 174-230MHz, UHF - 470-862MHz
• Antenna gain: 10dB
• Total gain: 40dB
• Impedance: 75 ohm
• Output: F female connector
• Dimensions: 502(L) x 235(W) x 76(H)mm

Cheers
AnswerID: 503310

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:16

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 10:16
The Winegard is as good as anything else around. In our van club we have a range of different types in use and some places the winegard is the best, others the Jack and a marine type that a couple of vans have. The Old style YAGI antennes also perform well with a suitable booster in line.

If your winegard isn't performing it may be that something is disrupted, the booster may not be working, cables may not be intact or with poor connectivity.
AnswerID: 503338

Reply By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:27

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 12:27
It doesn't matter how good the antenna is, if there is no signal from a tower then there will be no picture. With the shut down of all analog signals by the end of this year getting a signal in remote areas will become more of a problem. A number of the self help re-transmitters will not be upgraded to digital. The only sure way of receiving a TV signal is by the VAST satellite TV system.
AnswerID: 503354

Reply By: dublediff - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 13:33

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 13:33
The wingard sensar, if that is the one you have, is set for horizontal signals only (it might be the other way round ) but due to frequency congestion some areas transmit on the vertical plane. You can modify the sensar to swing to the vertical plane or replace the head of the unit with the wingard freeview which receives both vertical and horizontal signals. The feedback I have read indicates that this will address your problems.
AnswerID: 503361

Sponsored Links