CB/UHF radios

Submitted: Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 11:46
ThreadID: 10018 Views:3132 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all I am new member and relatively new 4WD owner. Am considering buying CB/UHF radio and have been told about the new Uniden UH90 which has both AM & UHF bands. Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has one.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: djc - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 15:50

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 15:50
Hi...I have used CBs and am a qualified radio tech...I really wouldn't worry about the 27MHz AM cb band...Its noisey and you only realistically get 1-2KM range when you are driving along..The only reason it may be useful is if your friends have AM CBs..hope this helps

David
AnswerID: 44367

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:23

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:23
IT all depends on where you intend to travel..

27meg has good range out in flat areas of deserts and places similar. For Local (High country from Melb distances) I wouldnt bother...

UHF is better for normal day to day running, and local stuff,

HF is better for desert tripping.

Thing with the 2 in 1 radio, you cant really listen to both frequencies at once, which is handy sometimes. I have 27meg and UHF in mine, also handy for when there are 2 cars 1 with 27meg 1 with UHF, you can communcate with both, and listen to both...

Its a personal thing some people like em, I like seperate units.
AnswerID: 44369

Reply By: Hacksaw - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 17:57

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 17:57
Had seperate Uniden UHF and Uniden AM units years ago. Didn't really like either, so when I upgraded the vehicle I put a GME 4400 UHF in and no AM. Haven't looked back, but then again I use it almost solely for highway touring, so I don't have to worry about what sort of radios others have fitted. I also now keep an Icom 1/2 watt handheld in the car as a spare or for giving to the missus when we travel in two cars. Works well as a loaner too, if someone in your convoy has AM, but not UHF. All in all, I would suggest that if you've got the room, seperate units, and go for GME. Much better than Uniden.
AnswerID: 44382

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 23:19

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 23:19
I just removed a 27mg and 47mg Uniden units that came fitted in my wagon and installed my old GME TX3400 (remote head). The GME leaves the other older units for dead re ease of use and clarity so I highly recommend you consider having a look at these. I will probably reinstall the 27mg as a backup though. Check this link for a lot of good operating assistance : http://www.acbro.org/

Good luckCarpe Diem
AnswerID: 44422

Follow Up By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 23:21

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 23:21
Also, do a search in the archives on this site and you'll get a heap more info.Carpe Diem
FollowupID: 306626

Reply By: Groove - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 17:56

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 17:56
I have a UH90 and its greatl. It scans both bands simultaneously and I have not had any problems with it.

I knew when I bought it that 27mhz band had limititations and was losing popularity but I got the unit cheap so I figured it couldnt hurt to have both bands and I havnt regreted it.

You do need to have two antenas, one for each band but apart from that having both bands in a small package is great, given that it take ups the space of 1 radio and does the job of two, if money is not a big issue then go for it.

I havnt used it on 27mhz much at all but on the few occasions I have its been handy to have around.

Cheers
AnswerID: 44501

Sponsored Links