What navigator to buy.

What navigator should I buy for in vehicle use?Garmin or Navman?
I need something fairly basic,my older Tom Tom was OK but now outdated & no maps or backup service available according to Tom Tom.
regards,Mick.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:35

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:35
Either one would do you fine.

Just make sure you get Life Time Maps with it.

Before you buy sit down with someone who has one and decide what functions you want now, and what you might want later on when you've had it for a while.
AnswerID: 503345

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 13:27

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 13:27
We had the same problem with our old tomtom, and wound up buying a Garmin after careful consideration, the wife found the Navman to complicated for her to operate, I have the Navman in the boat and either one suits me fine. I used a Garmin in the truck while I was working and found it easy to operate, but make sure whatever you buy you get life time maps to go with the unit. Enjoy the hunt.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503360

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 15:29

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 15:29
Mick

I have a portable VMS GPS and it is a good unit. Back up service on-line. As well as getting street mapping you get off-road mapping including oziexplorer.

In the NT unless you are in a town or on the Stuart Highway the street mapping programs are useless.

I am in the process of getting a new vehicle. I am getting an in-dash VMS unit fitted with the reversing camera.

Tjilpi

Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503374

Reply By: Robtbob NSW - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 20:28

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 20:28
I've got a Navman and a Garmin. The Garmin is better. Easier to operate and more features. Good luck.
AnswerID: 503397

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 20:34

Friday, Jan 25, 2013 at 20:34
Why not buy another TomTom?

The current models come with "lifetime map updates"

My TomTom Go720 is around 5 years old now. I needed to replace the battery some time back which was an after market generic one I purchased off ebay and was easy to achieve.
The maps are kept up to date and I have difficulty justifying a new unit even though the newer models are available in 5" size now.

It still performs excellently and I would not consider anything else other than another TomTom when I finally decide to replace it.

This unit is for voice guided city navigation but it is also useful for many country trips as well.

For remote travel, I use a Hema Navigator (original model) and it suits all my needs.

I will eventually upgrade both units as I require both Oziexplorer and voice guided navigation to operate concurrently at times and nothing will do this in the one unit at present.

I have compared Tomtom to a couple of other navigation applications and I am convinced nothing is better.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503398

Reply By: V8 Troopie - Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 00:58

Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 00:58
Have a look before you buy with regard to where the power switch is and how it operates.

The one on my Navman MY75T is a real pain. Its on top so its difficult to fit a hood over the unit. It also combines with the reset function and its too easy to reset the thing accidentally while trying to switch it on.
Further, a power off with ACC off feature would be nice if the navigator is exclusively used in the car, powered from the cig socket. Alas, my model does not have that feature.
So, if one forgets to switch it off the internal battery runs flat and mine required connecting to the computer for a reboot to get it going again.

This was the first navigator I own so it was a learning curve, I hope you do better.
AnswerID: 503411

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 08:13

Saturday, Jan 26, 2013 at 08:13
I too have a MY75T & find the same things annoying along with a very average windscreen mount. I also have a Garmin 5" but it doesn't have AV in, I find the Garmin to be more user friendly & has a much better touch screen.
FollowupID: 780053

Reply By: Yanktigers - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 23:57

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 23:57
I have a Tomtom GO 720 and I would give it to my worst enemy and the support you get from Tomtom is even worse.

I have a Navman 85xlt and I find that ok ( better than Tomtom) and their support is good.
One of the posts said either Navman or Garmin.
I believe Garmin you can download any map to their units but make sure you can get a deal with life time maps.

Cheers
AnswerID: 503833

Reply By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 07:50

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 07:50
We got a VMS unit with Igo or something as street navigation and Oziexplorer CE for all the offroad stuff. It is actially mounted in the dash. Nothing to fly around the cabin in an accident or on rough roads. And no bit metal mount in front of you to smack your knees or what ever on. Got days of entertainment in it as well as bluetooth etc. If walking I use a map and compass. But I can walk very far anyway. At least in the dash it is not an attractive bit of kit for a lowlife to steal.

Phil
AnswerID: 503839

Sponsored Links