Avan Camper

Submitted: Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 14:19
ThreadID: 10020 Views:10146 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Having now retired my wife and I are Looking for a camper for general touring and perhaps a little light non-bitumen work. (We have a 4WD but are not what you would call bush-bashers). Would appreciate any feed back for/against the Aliner by Avan with regards to reliability and convenience.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:40

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:40
Hello Kevin and Cath

don't know a much about either camper...but there has been quite a bit written on them in the Caravan and Motorhome Mag, and in one issue they did a comparison.[and there wasn't much difference between the two]..there are a number of similar campers avail including one called an EcoVan [I think] it's a beauty...I have had a look at an Avan at a caravan and camping show and they seemed pretty roomy esp for 2, but I also know of a family of 5 who did quite a bit of outback touring in one and loved it [again the article was in the C&M magazine]

LynLife - Live it , Love it !

AnswerID: 44374

Reply By: macca - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:46

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 16:46
Have a look at this web site, I'm sure they can aswer a few questions
http://www.aroundoz.com/ seem like Avanaholics LOL
good luck
AnswerID: 44376

Reply By: Nav 80 - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 17:31

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 17:31
Gday ,, Kev, congratulations on your retirement. We retired a couple years ago and after many years happy traveling with a camper now have upgraded to a van as we find this a lot more comfortable for the long trips. If we decide to go bush for a few days we get out the tent swags,fold up streachers and tucker box and leave the van behind. We still sleep comfortable and can go anywear as we are not towing anything (ever tried towing a camper through soft sand). Enjoy your retirement you are just starting the best years of your life.
Regards Kev.
AnswerID: 44380

Reply By: 10 Para- Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 17:49

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 17:49
Hi Kev & Kath,
Welcome aboard have a look at the following site for a camper,http://www.australianoffroadcampers.com.au/
Home For Xmas
AnswerID: 44381

Reply By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 23:49

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 23:49
Ppears we are the only ones that have got one . We opted for one with the double bed at one end, permanatly made up . You can get it made in various combos , depending on what you like . My advice , get the adventure pack . It is 100mm higher than standed and has bigger wheels . Also , it,s made on the Cruiseliner shasy (can never spell that right ) witch is a lot heaver and longer , so will travel dirt roads better . Not a lot of cupboard space , so get the frount boot , this give,s a lot more storage space for things like gennies , anexes and the like . It is sooooo easy to put up , one person can do it in about 60 seconds ( i kid you not ) . Definately get the stereo put in as well . Better to do it during construction than after . On trip to Qld , before we bought , I spoke to every one i saw with one , thay all said that thay were good , one said he had towed his down the Gibb river rd , but i wou,nt recommend that . Thay tow quite good and are low enought to see over the top when towing if you are in a 4x4 . So far , we are very happy with ours , and would recommend them for two people only , any more and you will need to get a full anex and camp them in there . Cheers Why go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
AnswerID: 44429

Follow Up By: 10 Para- Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 11:35

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 11:35
Hi Errol,
What the roof top camper like does it get hopt at night and is there a roof rack with it. Looks like its is shaped for the wind does in make a noise
RegardsHome For Xmas
FollowupID: 306650

Follow Up By: Member - Errol (York WA) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 19:25

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 19:25
G,day 10 Para . Like all roof tops , it doe,s get warm , if it,s wound up as soon as you camp ,with all windows open , it soon cools down . It is shaped to have less wind resistance and has no noise at all . You can get one with a roof rack built on top , but i dont think that one is shaped for the wind . It takes about 2 mints to unclip and wind up . Im about 5 f 10 in , and can only just lay out straight , so if you are taller than that , you would have to bend in the middle a bit . Apart from that , its very comfortable to sleep in . CheersWhy go overseas when you can ExplorOz
ERROL
FollowupID: 306695

Reply By: Steve - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 11:35

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 11:35
Hi Kevin & Cath,

I have just returned from travelling South WA with my parents who came from over east towing an A-Van. They are in love with it as it is so quick & easy to set up with plenty of space inside for the two and easy to tow behind a mid-range 4WD. I wouldn't recommend the standard model for anything other than bituman as it is extremely low but the offroad looks better.

My old man is disabled so mostly instructs (read "sits with a beer and watches") so it really can't be too hard if an oldish lady can set it up/pack it up in under a minute.

My observation is the outside annexe is a weakness being pretty fiddly to set up, in the end they fitted a rollout annexe to the car for shelter if required rather than use the standard A-Van version. I have to admit to being a bit jeolous.
AnswerID: 44452

Sponsored Links