GCR Laverton to Yulara

Hi all you knowledgeable people that have travelled the GCR,I am heading over to Brisbane not towing anything this time. I propose to leave Perth around the 20/6/13 and be in Brisbane on the 26/6/13. I will do a cannon ball run going across but coming back I would like to spend a couple as weeks and do some Photo taking and the tourist spots and some of the Gunbarrel highway from say Warburton to Wiluna, the questions are
1.How many days to come from Yulara to Warburton, on the way back, this is so I can apply for return permits, as I can see by the trek notes that you could spend weeks out there and not see everything.
2. Can you get from Boulia in Queensland to Alice Springs, and am I assuming that this area is part of the Lake Eyre catchment area and prone to flooding at that time of year as we will be returning around the 14/7/13, leaving Brisbane on that date.
3. what permits if any do I need for the area in Q2.
4. How to work out what dates to put on the return permits, as a transit permit only allows for three days.
Your feed back and comments is greatly appreciated thank you.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony (ACT) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2013 at 13:43

Sunday, Jan 27, 2013 at 13:43
For Q1. They give you a window of 21 days on the permit, so that should leave plenty of time.

Q2. No permits are required.

You will need a permit for when you enter WA. and continue west.
AnswerID: 503463

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 00:44

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 00:44
Thank you vry much for the info Tony. I just love tis site as a lot of people have already gone where I have not gone before and the info and experiences of the travellers is very welcoming. Once agian thank you for sharing.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780190

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Jan 27, 2013 at 21:37

Sunday, Jan 27, 2013 at 21:37
Not towing, Yulara to Warburton is a day. First 200 km to Docker is usually crap though. I'd allow a day and a half as there is stuff to see along the way.

Anything that sits in the Eyre catchment is best judged a lot closer to your departure date through the normal channels (pardon the pun). A good drive that, the Plenty/Donohue.

Out to the Channel Country from 'The Alice'

The "B" words - Boulia, Bedourie and Birdsville

Cheers Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503479

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 00:47

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 00:47
Mick, I don't write this lightly but you have just gone into my legend status book, the trek blogs that you have sent through are exactly what I have been looking for, thank you very much.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780192

Follow Up By: Michaeljp - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:42

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:42
Mick O,
Could you please email me at michaeljp65@bigpond.com
Id like to privately ask you some questions about a Mitchell Plateau trip you did in 2010.

Cheers Michael
FollowupID: 780202

Follow Up By: Mick O - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:43

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:43
Broodie, glad they were of some assistance to you. Enjoy the trip.

Michael, I'll be home in a few days and will contact you then.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780245

Follow Up By: Michaeljp - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:45

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:45
Thanks Mick
FollowupID: 780246

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:25

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:25
Broodie,

As you're having a leisurely trip back to WA, there's a couple of "must-see's" I'd recommend.

At Winton, stop at the Australian Age of Dinosaurs(turn off 13kms east of Winton) and the Waltzing Matilda Centre in Winton. Can get a good feed at the Coolibah Cafe at the Centre also.

Along the Winton-Boulia road, it's worthwhile stopping at the Cawnpore Hills Lookout, for a Kodak moment. Very photogenic spot, of some ancient landscapes.

In Boulia, the Min Min Centre is also worth a look. An animated show about the Min Min Lights. You can get a feed there too.

As Mick said the Plenty/Donohue is a great drive, with a variety of scenery, and when we did it, 18 months ago, was in good order. In July, there is unlikely to be any road closures across there, unless there has been unseasonal winter rain, or a very, very late wet.

Just make some inquiries, on here of course, closer to the date, and I'm sure you'll get the good oil.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 503693

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:54

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 11:54
Thank you for your input bob, I was going to ask in a couple of months about what to see on the way back thank you very much
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780443

Sponsored Links