Canning Stock Route

We will be in Fitzroy Crossing early August & wish to travel the CSR from north to south. We are looking at towing an Aussie Swag camper trailer behind our 80 series Landcruiser.
Our 4x4 is kitted out with the usual snorkel, UHF & HF radios etc. We are looking at taking up to 3 weeks.

We have previously been to Cape York, NSW/Vic high country & crossed the Simpson & Nullarbor.

KCD
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Jan 27, 2013 at 23:57

Sunday, Jan 27, 2013 at 23:57
Hi KCD

Not sure if you meant to ask a question in your post or just wished to tell us of you're going on the CSR!

Anyway have I hope you have and enjoyable and trouble free trip.

cheers

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 503482

Follow Up By: Member -KCD - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:01

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:01
Hi PhilB Should have added that we are looking for people to join us or us to join them on the trip.
We may be able to leave the van at Fitzroy Crossing and tent it. It means doubling back but if that is the easiest way them we will do it.
As well as looking for company we are looking for advise.
Sorry for the confusion.
KCD
FollowupID: 780196

Follow Up By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:56

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:56
Hi KCD,

If it helps, friends left their camper in Halls Creek CP for almost 4 weeks in 2011, they got a special rate and the van was a safe as houses.

I hope you don't mind me weighing into 'the should or shouldn't you take the camper' discussion. I have travelled the CSR many times since the mid 90s and I also own a off road camper trailer which I have taken to the most remote of places. I would not take a CT on the CSR.

Firstly let me raise a few points
* I don't know how much experience you have with a CT,
* or what others say are do-able or not,
* where they've been on the CSR,
* or what places they've missed because they had a CT.

Why I would not take a CT on the CSR:
* its a very long and arduous trip - 1800+ kms,
* with over 1000 dunes some super tall and soft,
* many are dug out due to vehicles WITHOUT CTs being bogged,
* there a lots of side trip opportunities that you may miss if you don't park the CT - if you want to park the CT out there where do you park it?

All of the above will make for a a difficult time with a CT. You'll soon tire of boggings, reversing and trying again, missing sites and sights because of the CT.

Do your trip research well, make sure you've decided which side trips you wish to do and sound out travellers coming the other way for things to look out for good and bad. Whatever you do get a copy of the Gard's Travellers guide to the CSR (available on EO site) you'll enjoy the trip so much more.

All the best with your CSR trip.

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 780199

Reply By: Member-George (WA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 00:49

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 00:49
Towing a trailer over the CSR can be done but not recommended. Particularly if you are on your own. You will find many of the sand dunes difficult to get over towing a trailer, even if you do all the right things like reducing tyre pressures. Many a trailer have been abandoned along the CSR. If there are other cars travelling with you they can help to pull you over the sand dunes. Others may disagree with me but I have done the CSR 5 times. Ohh did I mention the damage you will do to the track going up the sand dunes. Cheers
AnswerID: 503485

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 08:38

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 08:38
George You should be the ideal person to ask this.

We are looking at a drive down the Canning. We just crossed through the Simpson along the WAA line. At the time it was reportedly the hardest.

In your mind how do the two drives compare?

Phil
FollowupID: 780194

Follow Up By: Member-George (WA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 13:31

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 13:31
Hi Phil,
When you say you have just crossed the Simpson, I hope you don't mean in the last couple of weeks. The best time of the year for the CSR is between July and October. To compare the CSR with the Simpson WAA line is difficult. I have also done the WAA line. With the Simpson it does depend on time of the year. The sand dunes on the WAA line change more than the CSR due to the prevailing winds. Also keep in mind that the CSR is considerably longer then the WAA line. However having said all that, I would consider the CSR to be more difficult than the Simpson WAA line, if only for these reasons.
The CSR is a lot longer
Some of the dunes are higher, this may be argued by others.
The track is quite corrugated along most of it's length, particularly 20km each side of well 33.
You need to be well prepared with fuel, water and food supplies.
For fuel, there are only 2 places along the CSR, Kunawarritji Community at well 33 and the Capricorn Road House fuel dump at well 23 (with prior arrangements)
Trailers are banned from the CSR between well 1 and 5 and must enter/exit the CSR via Granite Peak stn.
I hope this helps. Cheers
FollowupID: 780213

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 14:03

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 14:03
Thanks George.

Just ignore the PM. It gave you a option for a private response.

No way would I cross the Simpson at this time of year. I don't think that the fridges (2) would keep the beer cold. While I am not a mad drinker I do like a coldie now and then. Nah No in the summer.

Taking the same things into account the differences are well acceptable. The distance, a few higher sand dunes and the corrugations are fine. And yes we do prepare correctly. We do not tow any more either as we found it too restrictive especially in the very tight and steep lesser travelled tracks of the high victorian and nsw country.

The only worry I have is vehicle reliability. While it is well maintained by a good mechanic and gets a serious pre trek inspection by the boss himself, I have a blood issue that means I get terribly sick lying on my back under a car. I cannot work under the car and have lost heaps of strength in my arms and legs. I can change tyres, shock absorbers etc where I can work upright but nothing under the car if longer than a minute or more. I would be okay to get the spinifex and grasses out.

There is my concern. If I was 100% healthy and had "normal" strength then I would be fine. But this cancer has a few drawbacks and I have to be careful.

Thanks heaps. Yes. Your post helped.

Phil
FollowupID: 780215

Follow Up By: Member-George (WA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 15:12

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 15:12
Hi Phil, with your condition it would be highly recommended that your either have an HF radio installed in your car or carry a sat phone. Both should be registered with VKS-737 Australian National Radio Network. They provide regular radio skeds every day, Australia wide, and also provide a 24/7 emergency point of contact. They also have an affiliation with the RFDS. I must mention that I have a vested interest in VKS-737. There are other HF clubs around.
VKS-737 website..http://www.vks737.on.net/
Cheers.
FollowupID: 780222

Follow Up By: Member - PJR (NSW) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 16:00

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 16:00
George

Dont worry all that stuff. All covered. I just wanted the comparison.

Thanks

Phil
FollowupID: 780232

Reply By: Kilcowera Station Stay - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 06:56

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 06:56
We too would love to do the Canning, but I think it would be a more enjoyable experience without that camper trailer!! Cheers Toni
AnswerID: 503486

Reply By: Ozhumvee - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 07:14

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 07:14
I agree with the others you will have a much easier trip and enjoy it more without the trailer.
Being a single vehicle and towing you will have to self recover which may or may not be possible at times.
If towing it is best to have company to assist in times of trouble.
AnswerID: 503487

Reply By: Shaker - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 08:31

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 08:31
Take the camper trailer & enjoy the trip!
The only thing I question is being a single vehicle, bad idea particularly with the camper.
We did it with a camper trailer & even though we were very well set up & prepared, due to the unseasonal heat we still needed help over a couple of dunes.
Try to find a companion vehicle.
AnswerID: 503488

Reply By: Member - eighty matey - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 08:35

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 08:35
G'day,

I don't tow a trailer but I have a mate that has taken his trailer all over the country.
He drives an 80 series petrol and didn't have any real dramas on the CSR.
His trip was from south to north but I don't know if that makes a difference.

Have fun,
Steve
AnswerID: 503489

Follow Up By: Member - Grundle (WA) - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 19:58

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 19:58
They say it's easier from north to south,i dont know from exsperience having only gone nth to sth.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 780258

Reply By: ModSquad - Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:36

Monday, Jan 28, 2013 at 17:36
KCD,

as a member, you should avail yourself of the members trip facility. This will allow you to register your trip for others to see and rspond. Unlike a forum thread, the trip will remain visible until your time of departure.Check it out under the "Members" tab above.

Cheers

The Modsquad
Moderation is just rules

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503519

Reply By: Member - Mad Dog - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 22:05

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 22:05
Well I can see both sides of the coin here and have wondered if we should have brought something like a Travellander instead of the Kimberley. But our Landy is beefed up to tow and I have a fair amount of experience from here and there. The Kimberley has gotten over its new teething problems thing and seems to be fairly robust, and already has battle marks. Recovery is the key, in my case the bush winch set up still hasn't been adapted to the landy so thats out. So its an ARB bar with a Warn 9500, but as always the rule of thumb is to ditch the trailer and snig it later. I try to look after tracks as much as possible and don't like leaving a mess or plowing over virgin country. With company is always better, especially on this trek
AnswerID: 504543

Sponsored Links