Avast Free Satellite TV

Hi All
Done a search and could only come up with 2011 latest post.

Is anyone using the Government Avast TV satellite system in there travels.
Just been looking on the Govn't Web site and it seems that it is mainly set up for permanent residences, but , us Outback travelers can apply with restrictions as I see it.

The conditions on the application form for Travelers is as follows ....

1..The service is only for 6 months - reapply
2..Your access card is only state based - each state you travel you have to phone up for new card.

Anyone using this free to Air TV satellite service traveling around Aust, can tell me if I have got it right or not ??

Cheers

Barry - Southern Cross Dreaming
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Racey - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 16:56

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 16:56
Hi Barry, We use VAST all the time when travelling. When you register as a traveler you are give a 6mth licence for either of the eastern states or WA. Just because you move from one zone to the other doesn't "cut" you off; you just get programs from the zone you registered for. If you wish go back onto the VAST site and register for the other area. You don't need or should use a different card. The card is programmed for the specific VAST box. As most of our travel has been through Vic,NSW and QLD, I just register for QLD.

It's best to re-register before the 6 mths expires, otherwise there is a 24 hr delay in bring you back on-line.

It is so much better than the old system, plus there are no ongoing satellite or network fees

Cheers
Racey
AnswerID: 503564

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 17:06

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 17:06
The programs for all zones are basically the same, except for the primary news channels. The main difference is time zones, north east (Qld) no daylight saving, south east (NSW etc) daylight saving and of course west is WA time.
I have not re-registered my traveler auth for 12 months and it is still going.
FollowupID: 780297

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:37

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:37
Racey
Thanks for the reply.
It was a bit misleading what I wrote about the card , after rereading the registration form. I should of said that " The services are State based and I will need to contact the VAST call centre when I have traveled to another State ".

If I understand what you and Rod are saying that as you pass through each state you don't loose TV reception ?

You only need to contact the VAST call centre if you want to watch that States TV programs. ie In my case I register for home State Vic and get those programs and times everywhere I go ??

Sorry if I sound a bit thick but I'm no "Technical wizz" much happier before computa thingies !!!!

The things I do so my dearly beloved can watch TV ?????

Thanks again for your replies
Safe Travels
Barry

FollowupID: 780314

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:54

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:54
There are just two satellites high over PNG so any where in Aus can receive their signals. They do not know where you are so if you have a Vic auth you can still see that piccy in WA. The only thing that changes with different states is the ABC news.
See VAST TV Programs and select the state you have registered for. Compare other states and you will see there is not a lot of difference.
FollowupID: 780318

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 17:01

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 17:01
Try searching for VAST and not Avast.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503565

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:38

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:38
OOOOOP"s typo error
I was on the Govn't VAST web page

Thanks Peter
FollowupID: 780315

Reply By: Member Andys Adventures - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:22

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:22
Hi Barry 2,
The conditions are that if you can not receive digital tv signal, you are entitled to have vast decoder box. That means if you live in the outback and digital tv is not in your area you can apply. Also if you are a traveller and go to remote places where digital tv is not broadcast for more that 120 days a year you are also entitled to vast.
So I didn't have to reregister every 6 months I put me address as Lorella Springs and when I travel I still get the same programs. I did the west coast last year and had not problems getting a signal ( except the sat dish was at it's limit's with the angle needed to get signal.)
They don't check your address so give them any address in the outback and you won't have to reregister.
Andy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 503575

Follow Up By: Member - Rod N (QLD) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:36

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:36
They don't ask or check where you travel to. You just apply online for a travelers auth and they give it to you and at 6 months you simply fill in the reauth form online and they give it to you. It is all very simple and no questions asked.
FollowupID: 780313

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:44

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 19:44
Thanks Andy
There's always a diferance what happens in the "REAL WORLD".

Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 780317

Follow Up By: Member - Duke (TAS) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:46

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:46
Google MySatTV and all will be explained. I reactivated mine on that Site yesyerday.
FollowupID: 780331

Follow Up By: Barry 2 - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:53

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 21:53
Thanks everyone I'll do some more checking
Cheers
Barry
FollowupID: 780332

Sponsored Links