Great Central Road

Hi All
We are contemplating traveling the Great Central Road form Uluru to Laverton during July.

is there anyone who has recently used this road and are there any issues we should be aware of.I understand that permits are required and that fuel will be expensive but are there any other points we need to consider.

We have a Navara 3 litre diesel truck and a semi offroad van.

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Cheers

Graeme
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 20:09

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 20:09
Hi Graeme,

You should have a good holiday, its a great trip. We did this trip in July 2011, here is a link to my blog if you are interested, has some of the issues we came across.

Our Uluru Blog

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 503579

Reply By: Member - Denis B (WA) - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 20:18

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 20:18
I was out that way in May last year...just the return trip from Laverton to Tjukayirla and back. At that time, the road was in great shape...in fact parts were being graded when we went through. It's generally a wide road and towing a camper trailer we could sit comfortably on 80km/hr and watch the scenery roll by.
The diesel at Tjukayirla was indeed expensive...but hey...they cart it a long way! There is a really neat camping/caravan ground attached to the roadhouse. Reasonably priced with clean ablutions and a HOT shower.
If you're into bush camping we found a couple that we liked:
Gnamma Holes…north side of road 46km west of Cosmo
The Pines…south side 31km west of Yamarna t/off

The permits to pass through this country are obtainable online through the DIA website.

Enjoy your trip!
AnswerID: 503582

Follow Up By: B9S33 - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 18:27

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 18:27
Good read Guys, and thanks for the insight.

Will be looking at doing from Kal to Alice with an Off Road Caravan mybe later this year ot next year.

Thanks again

Barry
FollowupID: 780549

Sponsored Links