James Baroud hard shell rooftop tents...

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 29, 2013 at 22:28
ThreadID: 100249 Views:18017 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All
A good friend of mine with a Troopy who is relatively new to off-roading has had a bad experience with a new rooftop tent he bought that turned out to be a real lemon.
He has now seen an ad for the James Baroud rooftop tents and thinks they look good.
( jamesbaroud.com.au )
Has anyone had experience with these tents, either the old model or the new Espace Evolution.

All comments will be appreciated, thanks.

Cheers, Dalb
Cheers, Dalb

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: stamps - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 00:26

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 00:26
Hi Dalb,

Very happy with mine quality is top notch, comfy and seals well from dust. Overall it's the best I have come across in hard shell roof top tents, had it on the roof now for just over 1.5 yrs and after a good wash still looks like new.

Good luck my friend,
Stamps

AnswerID: 503598

Follow Up By: Member - Dalb (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 07:05

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 07:05
Many thanks for your response and photos, Stamps.
Your rig looks exactly what my mate has in mind.
Cheers, Dalb
Cheers, Dalb

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 780338

Reply By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 08:03

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 08:03
I own a similar but different roof tent and would say the only downside to them is you have no cover when entering or exiting the tent. You also require a side awning to have any cover at all. Otherwise they are excellent.
AnswerID: 503602

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 09:16

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 09:16
Hi Dalb,

Has your friend thought about sleeping in his Troopy and using the top of the vehicle for "stuff"? Much warmer and more comfortable that way and there is enough space in a Troopy to do so. Have a look at our Troopy set-up in this link here. We have been travelling like this for over a decade now; wish we had a dollar for everyone who has come up for a look at what we have done!
Apart from the lack of cover to enter or exit a RTT, the climb up a ladder looks less inviting
with every passing year.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 503608

Follow Up By: Member - Bruce and Di T (SA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:27

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:27
Dalb,

We also had a Troopy for 10 years and had a bed setup in the back. It was warm, dry and so very comfy. Whenever we arrived somewhere we were setup for bed. We had all of our storage under the bed and our Engel at the end. It made outback travel a breeze.

Of course that made the Troopy a two person vehicle.

Di
FollowupID: 780348

Reply By: shakey88 - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 19:53

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 19:53
Hi Dalb,
I have the Espace model and can't speak highly enough of it. It is an item of exceptional quality and practicality. If you look at the gallery on their website, you will see a folder of images titled, "Brett's photos" or similar. This contains some photos of mine in action last year. Some of the images have been used by them in their print advertising, but I stress I have no commercial connection with them. I am just an extremely satisfied customer that has no hesitation in recommending the product after using it from one side of the country to the other. You will also find the Australian agents, based in Yamba, to be two of the most delightful people you could ever wish to meet, should you be fortunate enough to do so. I researched my purchase intensely as it is a big investment and whilst there where both cheaper and similarly priced options available, I found none matched the build quality and attention to detail that the James Baroud model did.

I hope my response doesn't sound like a commercial for them, because that is not my intention and to be honest, I am generally reluctant to make suggestions when it comes product purchases, but I can confidently say that my decision to buy the Espace was one of my better ones.
AnswerID: 503669

Sponsored Links