Your choice of Mobile and Ipad/Tablet for travelling

Submitted: Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 08:57
ThreadID: 100256 Views:3793 Replies:6 FollowUps:25
This Thread has been Archived
We my husband and I are looking to updating our communications before heading off up the top and else, and were wondering what type of phone would be most suitable, as only have a flip phone at the moment on nextG. We are also looking at a ipad or tablet and have heard that you can also use the same sim card. As you can tell I am not to sure of things, so can anyone who has all these devices help me.

Thanks -
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John & Deborah G - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 09:41

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 09:41
Hello Des, Lyniey & Millie

Well I have taken great interest in what works and doesn't work, especially in remote areas. I live in Cairns, my children live in Darwin so we travel mostly around the top end.

Telstra (no affiliation) is my only choice for mobile communications. If you can't get mobile/Internet on Telstra you simply can't get it from others.

You can't swap you SIM card from phone to tablet as the new tablets use a much smaller size card. But you can get an ipad with a SIM card that works on 3G. Last time I renewed my subscription it cost $180 for 12 months, not too sure how much data that's included but unless you are downloading movies etc, its heaps.

Hang onto your 3G flip phone as it will work fine.

The 3G versions of the ipad have a built in GPS and the GPS software is a lot cheaper that you buy for dedicated GPS's, and it works just great. Only problem is size, the passenger needs to hold it while driving as the space needed in front of the dash blocks out half of the vehicle's gauges.

If I can help more just contact.

Regards John Genge
AnswerID: 503611

Reply By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 09:59

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 09:59
If you get a good android tablet ( eg Samsung, Motorola, Sony Asus etc) you have the following advantages over Apple for travelling. IMHO of course
-You will save $300 - 400
-You can add memory at a later date ( up to 64G) and in doing so will save another $200- 300
-The 16:9 format of most android tablets is much better suited to photos and movies than 4:3
-You don't have to buy the expensive phone /3G model to get a GPS ( but make sure it is in the spec)
-You can buy music, apps and movies for $5 to $15 less than on Itunes
-By having a USB and SD slot you can take photos from a camera and put them on OR TAKE THEM OFF the tablet. You can store lots of photos on different SD cards without deleting them on the tablet. You can not do this with Apple.
-If you also get a smart phone, eg a samsung S3 which you can also use to take photos ang movies, it has a 'Mobile Hot spot" mode. So you can buy a tablet that does not have 3g / phone capability ( saving $200 or more), while still having GPS and it will connect to telstra and the internet through the phone.
This means one plan, no phone card swapping and up to 5 devices can connect to the internet this way.

Also great andoid apps for traveling are Memory Map or Oziexplorer, Google voice search. Fire alert sites like CFA, google sky map, AR satellite finder, and tons for weather, BOM rain radar, rain alarms ( rainpro), public tolet, and camp site apps. Some of these are also available for Apple I am sure.

My point is that you don't have to waste $300 - $400 on a brand that will give you less flexibiulity. Personally I would go for a Galaxy tab 2 without the 3g phone capability.

AnswerID: 503614

Follow Up By: Des, Lynley & Millie - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:08

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:08
I am able to purchase the following Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 32GB WiFi Tablet GREY + Genuine Samsung Card Reader for $399 do you think that this would be a good one and a good buy?
FollowupID: 780345

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:26

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:26
That's not a bad price for sure.

That is the old model but that should not be a big problem, I think the adapter is for SD cards ( for your camera shots etc)

I am not that familiar with the different models so check that it has GPS or AGPS if you want it for mapping. Also there is a Galaxy tab 2 10.1 but I think that is a few hundred bucks more.

If you want it for basic browsing, photos and videos, mapping and maybe games then it will be fine PROVIDED you either have a phone with a wifi hotspot ( any 1 or 2 year old Android or Iphone 4, 5) or are happy to only browse the internet at hotspots or home. If neither apply you will need a 3g card version.
FollowupID: 780354

Follow Up By: get outmore - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 13:41

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 13:41
have to agree android has it all over apple by a huge margin for practicle uses such as that

also you wont need 2 seperate sims as with a smart phone you can use it and its data as a wifi hotspot to run the tablet

depending something like a samsung galaxy S3 might fit both bills dpending on your eyesight

i dont need a tablet with that - small enough to be a phone but is also an extremley powerfull navigation device with 100s of maps on its 64 gig SD card running through ozi explorer - i also watch movies and TV series on it and it has 1000s of songs

no apple built can compare to its storage space and its the 16 gig base model giving it about 80 gig usable storage

you will quickly tire of fluffing around with inflexable itunes compared to being able to drag and drop anything from your computer to your phone and have it work

theres a big reason apple shares are nosediving - people have been seeing what else is available
FollowupID: 780361

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 14:39

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 14:39
LOL I have an absolute apple addict as a friend, Iphone 5 bla bla bla, when he played with my Note 2 for 30 mins or so he declared that he had to get one. prior to that, his view of android as a few years old and clunky movement etc. Based on his view of the world, Apple had better have a large screen just around the corner, he has said a few times since that he is so dissapointed with his phone now, especially how tiny the screen is and hard to type. hahaha

Having said that Apple shares are a good buy, I just got a bunch at $430 each. It is kind of hard to believe that apple announced the largest quarterly profit of any company, in any country ever, and the price dropped 20%. Anyway apple is a premium content comapny now according to their 10Q filings
FollowupID: 780364

Follow Up By: Member - nick b - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 15:33

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 15:33
Des, Lynley I have a asus transformer TF300 ( its a cross over laptop = tablet ), has a GPS that dozent need phone coverage for it to work , longer battery time than sum, +++
paid around $ 500 from H.N a week later had drop by $ 60 :-(

make sure you research what you are going to buy ,inc USB , SD card ,3g or wifi etc , there's more than Ipad 's & samsung to look at ...good luck with it .
Cheers Nick b

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 780366

Follow Up By: Echucan Bob - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 08:57

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 08:57
I'm still using my original iPad and still loving it after nearly three years (come May). It has obviated the need to take bulky computers on trips and has been reliable and fun to use. It does everything I need.

Some of the claims about the cost savings in buying Android devices seem a bit 'exaggerated' to say the least.

"You will save $300 - 400". I bought a 16 GB Nexus 7 for $249. The iPad mini is $369. OK $120 more. But I find I never drag the Nexus 7 out because Android is much less pleasant to use compared with iOS. I bought an Android tablet from Kogan which I literally gave away it was so bad.

An iPad 2 16GB with Wi Fi and 3G is $569, a Nexus 10 is $469 but with no 3G. A 32 GB iPad 3 is $649, the Nexus 10 is $569.

Frankly, it doesn't seem a lot of difference to get the extra quality and functionality. Of course if you are desperate and don't mind fiddling around with memory cards etc then buying a low end tablet with a card slot might be your way into a cheap bit of kit that might last a year.

Owning both I can report that the iPad is a easy and intuitive to use, and the Nexus is clunky and unpleasant. The Android Play app store is a disorganised joke - be prepared to be deluged with spam. Comparing iOS with Android is like comparing a Land Cruiser with a Hyundai. Sure there may be more Hyundais around but I know what I'd rather drive.

The only thing Android has going for it is OziExplorer, however, the iOS navaps deliver enough functionality for me not to miss it. (Its the maps not the app).

Given the exaggerated claims re cost differential I'd be very wary of believing everything (anything) some of the regular fAndroids (above) have to say.

Bob
FollowupID: 780509

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 09:59

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 09:59
And also beware of Apple fanbois peddling blind bias.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780514

Follow Up By: get outmore - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 14:13

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 14:13
Yes . Comparing about apple with a pos nexus
A true comparison would be a Samsung galaxy note. It will cane an iPad both on specs and price as well as functionality
FollowupID: 780535

Follow Up By: Brett H - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 14:27

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 14:27
This is becoming a Toyota / Nissan debate with fanboys on both sides. Yes, nissans are cheaper but toyotas.....Yada Yada Yada.
Sound familiar?
FollowupID: 780537

Follow Up By: Brett H - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 14:47

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 14:47
And don't worry iOS and android fans. The windows fanboys will be surfacing soon.
Sorry, couldn't help that...lol.
FollowupID: 780538

Follow Up By: get outmore - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 04:09

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 04:09
ok

Echucan Bob
ive been onto kogan and for some reason your talking about the ipad2 which would immediatly put you way behind as its several models old

now the 16gig Ipad 4 with 4G (useless might as well say 3G)

is $600

howeveer the Higher specced samsung galaxy note 10.1 is $560

BUT wewre still jot comparing apples with apples in real terms prtactical use 16 gig for a tablet is nowhere near enough (I have !4gig of maps alone on my phone not including music and movies)

so realistically the cost of the Samsung goes up to $600 with the addition of a 64 gig card giving it 80 gig

to get the maximum specced Ipad your now so far behind the 8 ball its not funny, having to fork out over $800 and still ending up with only 64 gig
so its not hard to see Boobook was right it will cost you $200 more

to go apple -- and you still dont get to use quality mapping apps like ozi explorere
FollowupID: 780588

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 06:56

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 06:56
Echucan Bob, since you are directly referring to my post, I should point out to you that you are comparing a 7.9 inch Apple's price to 10 inch Androids!

Also the Kogan is a $180 device running version 2.3. If you seriously want to compare it's functionality to Apple, go ahead, but use IOS verson 4 which is from the same era.

Re your comment that my savings examples are exagerated, no they are not, go check them. Perhaps you are referring to the fact that the savings can overlap like any other product. Ie the individual savings do not add up to the total, that obviously is correct. But you can still get a good device for $400 less ( similar size and functionality), and you can upgrade it without throwing it away.

Don't get me wrong, Apple has it place, typically for people who will pay extra for a simple, controlled environment, but you should really check a recent Android device before you say they are not as easy to use. Oh and not a $180 Kogan based on a 3 year old version of the operating system. For $400 you can get an up to date device.

I own a significant number of Apple Shares, and recently bought a lot more. As a business they are excellent marketers, and sell at well above industry standard margins ( for the devices and music and video), that is good for shareholders -thank you.

FollowupID: 780591

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 09:13

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 09:13
These are the reasons why I feel an iPad just doesn't cut it as a practical mobile device (and price isn't one of them, people can do what they like with their money):

No input sockets unless you buy adapters.

You can't transfer photos from your camera, unless you buy an adapter.

You can't upload photos to websites unless those websites have installed specific software.

If you go to a website that uses Flash video you're buggered. Why is that? Apple laptops support Flash but not the iPad.

It's all down to the late Steve Jobs brilliant but very flawed character. He was a control freak and that control extended to what he thought his customers could or could not do. And if he had a blue with his competitors, he would not allow his devices to use their product. Strange but true.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780597

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 09:30

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 09:30
...and how many people say "I wish I bought the next memory size up, now I have to buy a completely new device".
FollowupID: 780600

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 10:14

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 10:14
That's right! I forgot: no memory card slot.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780603

Reply By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:22

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:22
Hi Des, Lynley & Millie,
While I don't disagree with any of the above, my perspective is when I go away I can and do survive for 3 - 4 days without phone contact. In reality theres never been an emergency and if there were, its debatable that any mobile would have worked anyway.

I have now been 3 years Telstra free and don't think I will ever go back to them.

I have a laptop, 10" Android tablet and I bought my wife an iPad for her birthday. By far the most easy to use, quickest and reliable is the iPad, and the 10hr battery life is a BIG plus.
I get and send my emails, surf the web and use google maps no problem at all.

But each to their own, its a little like asking whats the best fridge

AnswerID: 503622

Follow Up By: Des, Lynley & Millie - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 13:37

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 13:37
Thanks for your reply, and I understand where you come from, but we have 90yr parents and family and Grandchildren around the world, whom we like to know that we can be contacted by if needed it is a necessary when away for 4 to 6 months on end.
FollowupID: 780360

Follow Up By: Member - Noldi (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 14:10

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 14:10
No Problem, though you will not get total coverage with any mobile phone provider, you will just get a bit more. Satellite phone will give you the best coverage, but at a cost,
FollowupID: 780362

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:24

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:24
I have an iPhone, which I love. I use a lot of apps for travelling. Banks, BP, Google maps, shops, postcodes, etc etc. I also use it as a modem to get my laptop onto the net.

I also have an iPad which I find extremely limiting for travel. The list of shortcomings is too long and frustrating. It is great for being lazy around the house checking emails and surfing the net, but anything serious, it's a failure. in my opinion.

When the Microsoft Surface Pro comes out next month, I will get one of those.

Be aware though, that the market for Ultrabook/Tablet/Laptop combinations is really hotting up and 2013 will see some really powerful, small devices coming out.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 503623

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 16:31

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 16:31
I agree 100% with you on this we have all these devices including IPhones x 2, iPods x 2, iPads X 1, Android tablet x 1, Android Phone x 1 and I currently use the Android tablet for OziExplorer based vehicle and boat navigation.

I am waiting for the Surface and tablet devices to come more into the main stream end of the market. I hate different operating system Android is good but really it is a little clunky and I think Google has dropped the ball a little on this. Windows 8 does look promising I have been using it on a few virtual machines for a while and Office 2013 with Skydrive. I want the USB connectivity to anything (like GPS's which Android does not do) and a greater capacity to store bulk data such a camera & video downloads. I am waiting just a little longer as Feb is the launch date for a load of new stuff from Microsoft and I expect the Surface will Surface even more soon.

I did notice that Dell has a laptop/tablet cross-over call XPS - I am keen on this device it really looks good but is pricey however the SSD drives do it for me - do not care ho much it costs provided it has large capacity SSD.

David
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 780368

Follow Up By: mikehzz - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 19:49

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 19:49
David,
Have you had a play with the Surface? We have and were disappointed in it's performance. We definately wanted to like it, I was hanging out for the pro model as a work-leisure crossover. Not keen now and looking at other brands of Win 8 pro tablets.

Cheers, Mike
FollowupID: 780405

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 19:57

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 19:57
Mike,
I must confess no but I was wanting to see the Windows 8 unit not the one with the RTM product on it. But there there will be a wealth of new machines hitting the market soon with the detachable keyboard thing. The Dell XPS machines do look good but I have not fully researched thee either.

I have been using Office 2013 for several months and must say I like it, I am using it on Windows 7 but moving from 2010 to 2013 was easy and brings the Windows 8 look to the application products. I do still hope that the Surface box will do the job but if not there will be heaps of choices unlike the iPad (but the iPad is a good machine and has a place, just not what I want, Michelle uses ours now and loves it).
David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780409

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 11:58

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 11:58
Thanks Mike,

I was sus i was not going to be that great but I am not in a rush to change to anything as yet. I have noiticed some really nice machines of late ASUS has been doing some really good work in this area.

My daughter at private school will next week bring home an ASUS tablet with detachable keyboard and seemingly good specs and another member pointed me at http://www.asus.com/vivo/en/taichi.htm

So even if MS misses the boat and it does not sound promising there will be a lot of other choices and is one of the reasons to skip the iPad revolution.

David

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781036

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 20:25

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 20:25
On the other hand:

Surface Pro Review

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781058

Reply By: Dennis Ellery - Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:55

Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:55
If you talk to country people you will find Telstra is the only way to go if you want coverage in the bush – but all Telstra 3G and 4G phones don’t have the same reception.
The ones designed for better reception in regional areas are marked with a Blue Tick.
Some have an external aerial connection – these are good for increasing your coverage by adding an aerial if you wish.
We have a Blue Tick rated Telstra phone with an aerial connection – cost $50 and doesn’t miss a beat.
AnswerID: 503624

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 21:58

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 21:58
Des, Lynley & Millie,

Living in western Qld, I've gone the way that Dennis suggests.

Have a Telstra T54 phone, with external aerial socket, which really improves the reception.

If you were thinking along these lines try the following website for a range of aerials and other phone "stuff".

www.telcoantennas.com.au

No affliation etc.

Bob.
Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780484

Reply By: Nutta - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 15:33

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 15:33
Im an apple fanboy as some yobbo put on here earlier!

The best thing with the apple is their backup, stores in most cities, you can book in online if you have an issue and they will bend over backwards to help solve any problems.

Where can you take your android when things go bad? No where, the mob who sold it to you will fob you off, telstra couldnt care less, tough luck basically.

Other than their apple backup either would be fine.

Ive played with android a bit and just find the apple a little easier to operate, thats me.

My sons had both and says both are great, he couldnt picke faults with either.

Cheers
AnswerID: 503868

Follow Up By: ReCon - Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 23:15

Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 23:15
I rarely reply in most threads as I simply don't know enough about most of the topics posed, however…

If you are travelling 6 months or more a year , then use a dedicated machine for each need. A gps for getting unlost, a mobile phone for communications , and some sort of device for internet usage and face to face/email communications.

I am not an Apple fanboi like Nutta [well , almost :P ] , I just use what I now find is simple , reliable , and effective.

I use my mac Air and the Telstra 4g wireless modem for my 'net fun. The little Mac is not much thicker than a tablet , has a good storage memory, and has an excellent battery life. Should you require more memory , then a very small 1 terabyte hard disc should be more than adequate.
The Air also has a firewire port , a USB port , and the mini port for A/V use. All the data transfer hardware you will need

My wife has her own laptop , plus stores her 10's of thousands of photos on the HD . If you need to access any previous activity , use time machine to store every page and action you have ever partaken.

The TLS 4g modem works quickly for both of us. In remote areas , the 3g is more than enough , however the price difference is quite minimal so upgrading is not a real issue. It also works with your smart phone too.

We also use an ancient little Tom Tom that does it's job just fine.

All the machines do what they are supposed to do. There are no issues , and if one unit was to pass away , then your whole life does not come crashing down with it.

I ran over my iphone 4s in the B-double last week. I purchased a new one , connected it to itunes, and my old phone had returned . All my messages , notes , missed calls and apps were there. Only the hardware had changed.

This was simple and took about 10 mins , with the 4 g modem. If you are still happy with your little flip phone , then just keep it! it will still make calls and sms as it should.

So , really , buy a gps that you will love. Then get yourself as simple but reliable phone should you feel comfortable with. Finally , get a small size laptop , and you have all that you will need that will not need an upgrade for years. It can be any os that you are happy with.

I use Apple as Windows always let me down and Android was clunky for me , but that was versions ago so I am in no position to comment on the latest stuff.

Truthfully , Android , Apple os , Windows mobile , will all be too limiting and really never does it all brilliantly in 1 simple unit. There is always a trade off. DON"T trade off as one day you will need them all to work perfectly , especially in an emergency.

Holidays are meant to be memorable , but not for equipment issues. Spend a few $$$ extra and do it properly on the gear that you prefer.

I have already done the hard yards and spent the bad money for you :) , so have a good think about it , and is your family worth a few extra pennies to make sure you can access them when you are really needed?

Anyway , I will now go back into the shadows
FollowupID: 780882

Sponsored Links