to Pluto

Submitted: Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 17:18
ThreadID: 10028 Views:2008 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I see you have just loaded the Wedge Is beach run to the plot file , can you please tell me how long it took and is there any good campsites along the way thanks for any info99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 20:27

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 20:27
Peter, the time any of the tracks took can easliy be read from Oziexplorer. Load the track then click on Show/Hide Track Control. Highlight the track then click Show Track List. All the recorded track points will be shown along with time, Altitude, speed, Heading. Forgive me if you're already aware of this. At the very least it may help some others. BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
maddogmorgan@mail15.com
AnswerID: 44392

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 20:37

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 20:37
Forgot to mention. When the track points are listed block highlight between any two or more points and click on the Sigma symbol. You'll get the time, distance, min speed, max speed, average speed and other info for those points BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
maddogmorgan@mail15.com
FollowupID: 306599

Follow Up By: Member - Peter (York) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 13:33

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 13:33
thanks , my brain was out of gear for awhile on the track list , but what is the Sigma symbol ?99 GU Patrol 4.2 TD
Peter York 4x4
FollowupID: 306654

Follow Up By: Mad Dog Morgan (Geelong) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 14:37

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 14:37
It's a Greek Letter which looks like a bit like a reversed E BEAM ME UP SCOTTY

Hooroo
Ray
maddogmorgan@mail15.com
FollowupID: 306665

Reply By: Pluto - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 16:08

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 16:08
I can't say I've actually camped in the area. I usually camp further north and use the track as a way through or as part of a day trip. I know the people around wedge and Gray are quite happy for camping to be conducted nearby (within the limits of neighbourly conduct) but I can’t recommend a specific spot. My pick would be around Gray.

When it comes to travelling from Lancelin to Cervantes, I usually allow about 3 to 4 hours plus stops and dune play. Taking the beach between Lancelin and Wedge will make the trip much quicker than the either of the inland routes I posted (by a good hour) but you then have to allow time for getting bogged. At the moment it’s a good run, but when it’s bad… It’s REALLY bad.

Of the two track I posted, my pick would be Grass Tree Valley, especially in the wildflower season. The Thong Fence track offers some nice views but is rockier. Both these tracks still run through the gunnery range, so it’s worth ringing DoD and making sure it’s open. The number is in the Wedge track notes.

Pluto
Get out there & have Fun!!!
AnswerID: 44481

Reply By: Member - Alan - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 16:20

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 16:20
Peter

I don't have access to the plot file you are talking about but for what its worth I have been going to Wedge for the past 15 years- A friend has a shack up there.
During summer the beach is usually the way to go if you hop on a Narrow neck or Deidi Bay and this will take about an hour plus from Lancelin. The beach from Lancelin to Didi Bay / Narrow Neck is usually very softy and best avoided . Another way is to go around the navy bombing range , this track I don't use because its very rough , lots of limestone outcrops etc. During winter you can go the back track which is a comfortable 1.5 - 2.00 hrs and towards the end of winter is pleasant drive with the wild flowers etc.
There is very little shade up that way so most camp close to the beach and out of the wind, the sun and wind can get a little to much at times up there.
There are numerous tracks heading North so you shouldn't get lost, well not for long anyway.

Regards

Alan
AnswerID: 44484

Sponsored Links