Camping gear bag

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 15:48
ThreadID: 100284 Views:2740 Replies:10 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I just would like to know what campers use to put their tent bag, tarps, tent pegs etc in. In time i want to put them on the roof in a roof top bag but at the moment they will go in the back of the troopy. Is it better to have it all in one bag or a few? I am aware im not getting any younger and a couple of bags would probably be better for my back.

Are canvas bag the best and if so, where do I get them from?

many thanks
Trev
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 16:08

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 16:08
Trevor I think the Roof top bag is a good idea as you can have them made to a particular size. It keeps them all in the one spot and the bag actually stays there. You just remove what you need and then repack it. Perhaps you could use individual bags for items and then store everything in the one Roof top Bag. This is the way I have done it in the past. Just make sure that it's not your heaviest equipment for obvious health and safety issues.

You'll find INFRONT CAMPING GEAR pretty good. I've used Klaus and Lynn's gear for years.Well made and only too happy to prepare custom sized things for you.Well thought of here on the forum.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503709

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 16:47

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 16:47
Trev,
As Mick said.
Certainly have a separate bag for pegs, hammer, guys & ropes. Easier to manage when setting up and packing. Carry it around to each peg position and avoid placing pegs on ground and possibly losing them. I use a small cheap toolbag with zip and handles.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 503715

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 17:40

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 17:40
We Have two tents one small and one large 8 man the 8 man goes into a blue plastic box with all the camping gear, stove collapsible table, and cooking gear, the small 4 man tent is in a normal cricket bag with all the equipment that you need to set up a camp, 1 burner stove and a combo pots and pans and black wolf sleeping mattress's and sleeping bags, if I knew how to do Photo's I could show you I may get the loml on to it when she gets home to night. simple but effective camping, and over many years of camping we have not lost any thing not even a tent peg. This is my wife's invention as she is the queen of bags, everything has to go in a bag. this way everything is in compact, and in one place, and as she keeps reminding me I can't lose anything, as I am prone to do from time to time. I hope this helps.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503718

Reply By: Member - Russler - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 18:50

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 18:50
G'day Trev,

We have a canvas rooftop bag from Southern Cross, and it's been excellent. I perch up on top of a wheel or the tailgate, then my wife passes me the bits and pieces when we pack up, or I pass her things down when we're unpacking. That way most things stay light because they're not grouped up together. I can do most things one-handed, leaving the free hand to hang on to the roofrack.

AnswerID: 503723

Reply By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 18:59

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 18:59
Hi Trevor,

WE have all sorts of things in bags, and bags of all sizes. There is no rule that says what should go in a bag, or what size bag you should use - you do whatever suits you best. We make a lot of small bags ourselves, either from canvas pieces ( you can usually get used canvas tents from the recycling centre and use them to make bags with) or from the legs of worn out jeans (which are a good size for holding tent pegs, ropes etc). We always take a few spare bags with us when we go away - they are very handy.

We have a few tents but always roll the pegs in with the tent so that they dont get separated. We do have a canvas bag for the roof rack but find that we dont use it much now as we tow a trailer to hold all our "stuff". Tarps travel separate from the tent as we dont always use them, only when there is rain threatening.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 503724

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 19:26

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 19:26
That's a coincidence Val. We use the legs from discarded work pants for useful bags too. Just cut them off and tie one end closed with a cable tie. Great to stop small items from rattling.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 780472

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 20:22

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 20:22
Oh Allan,
Cable ties forsooth! If asked very nicely I sew up the cut end and if Im feeling really creative I also sew on a tie so that John can tie the bag up with a cute little bow. LOL

Ducking for cover now...

Cheers,

Val.

J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780476

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 20:31

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 20:31
Ah Val, I'm married to a totally liberated, emancipated and independent woman (not sayin' that you are not) and furthermore Roz fortunately only reads this forum when I direct her attention to it.
Anyway, with an electrical background I use cable ties for almost everything.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 780477

Follow Up By: Member - John and Val - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 20:44

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 20:44
Allan,

I know what you mean about cable ties, John has quite a collection. I think I fit the above description, but with one difference, which is that I'm a bit of a forum tragic.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780479

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 22:13

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 22:13
Val, I do have a little finesse. After attaching the cable tie I turn the trouser leg inside-out so that the tie is hidden inside. It's a bit like reversing your t-shirt to hide the sauce stains.

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 780487

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 19:22

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 19:22
Trev,

Only time and experience will determine what is best for you.

Personally, I use a smallish canvas bag to contain all the pegs and this is placed in a larger canvas bag which also contains the guy ropes, hammer, peg puller, etc.

As the pegs get a coating of dirt and rust with continued use, keeping them in their own bag stops contamination with other gear.

So for me, smaller practical bags keep the various items separated, but still contained together.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 503725

Reply By: i'machocoholic - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 21:03

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 21:03
Hi Trev,

We place our tent (Oztent) when camping on our roof rack, but it has been placed in a "sock" which I've made out of tarp. Made to measure, the tarp has been sewn on three sides, and the tent slides into the sock and then closed over and strapped to the roof. I use these types of socks for all sorts of things and it works out a really cheap way to protect our items with about 30 minutes of effort to make, costing less than $20. Keeps the dust and water out so they work a treat for us.
AnswerID: 503736

Reply By: Life Member - Phil B (WA) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 21:07

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 21:07
x 2 for Infront camping gear

cheers
There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 503737

Reply By: Trevor G - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 21:42

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 21:42
Thanks for your feedback . It sounds like I'm going to try a few different options. I will have a look around. I have used an old back pak in the past for tents and ropes. I'm off to the camping expo in Newcastle next weekend so I'll have a look around there also. The old jeans sound good.

Many thanks
Trev
AnswerID: 503738

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 22:38

Thursday, Jan 31, 2013 at 22:38
Trev, don't forget to use the 'old cable-tie trick' with the jeans leg. It's more blokey.... hey Val?
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 780490

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 18:55

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 18:55
I have gone to a commercial Upholster and had them make various custom sized bags for various pieces of camping gear out of heavy Vinyl (same type as is on the bottom of some swags, camper trailer floors), with the mouth of some bags closed by velcro, others more expensively with zips. I have separate bags for different pieces of gear.

When I was running a kids football club I used to get the Upholster to make up big duffel bags which would hold the football jumpers. They are very robust, totally rainproof, but won't breathe if you do put anything wet into the bags. But I consider they are better for my needs than canvas
I'm fortunate I have a number of Canvas/ Tarp manufacturers and Upholsters handy to me.
AnswerID: 503880

Sponsored Links