Comment: Versa-Lite Rechargeable LED Light (12-240v)

Too expensive compared with alternative products in market place.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jack - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 09:17

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 09:17
Looked at these myself, and saw the price.
As they say in the movie .. "Tell him he's dreamin' "

Jack
The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll-Alice In Wonderland)

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503761

Reply By: olcoolone - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 09:28

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 09:28
Quality, service and after warranty support doesn't come cheap.....

I can't see how you can call "alternative products" when they may not offer the same...... if you call something that is cheaper, of a lower quality that offers no after warranty supporter an alternative your not looking at the big picture.

Thats why in the 4x4 world they sell Mahindra and Toyotas in the same market...... some want cheap and others see quality. This applies to every other consumer product ever made in every consumer market, if it wasn't the case we would have product all the same........ one size fits all!

We have used Versa-Lite products for over 25 years in a workshop environment and through field service and have never questioned the price.

Something can only be more expensive when comparing Australian apples to Australian apples....... not Australian apples to Chinese apples.

Can you name some of these "alternative products" that are cheaper.

AnswerID: 503763

Follow Up By: DiscoRosco - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 10:43

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 10:43
Should not need service and warranty if the quality is there in the first place. I still cant see how they can justify the price. The battery pack style is not indicated ? NiCD, NiMH or LiIon

I am happy with my high quality Narva LED lithium battery rechargable!.. works well in my work shop and out 4WDíng. and at $75 including 240 and 12 v charger you have to ask yourself why pay over 4 times that amount for the Versa @$369. .

NARVA 'See Ezy', Professional Rechargeable L.E.D Inspection Light with 240 , 12 -24 volt chargers MODEL 71312 + lithium batteries
https://www.iautosecurepay.com.au/ssl/public_autoelec/store_v2/product_detail.asp?id=217&cat=26

Although not rechargeable - 12/240v - eva Power Torpedo LED light by De-Tech also very good (waterproof) prtoable light

I have bougth Versa Lite fluor light products before also and yes they are good quality but tend to be over priced.
FollowupID: 780518

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 14:25

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 14:25
For the average Joe I would think it's a waste of money but for someone who relies on it for work then it may be money well spent.

The difference in price may reflect the quality of material used and the quality of the LED's and driver.

We use the blue $120 Narva one's and on average we get about 4 mths out of them until they fail..... we return them under warranty.

For so long the Narva has been the only choice, they stand up good on the job as we do heavy vehicle and earthmoving repairs mostly onsite..... so you can understand the abuse they get.

You could also say the same for the Narva one's .... why spend $75 when you can buy cheaper one's for $14 of on line auction sites.

A mate of mine has a $5000 fishing rod and reel ....... to me thats a lot of money and for me a $200 rod and reel would be ample ........ BUT I don't think he is stupid for spending that much money or the rod and reel is over priced.

FollowupID: 780536

Follow Up By: DiscoRosco - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 16:11

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 16:11
This is my final concluding comments about Versa Lite.
This is what I love about this forum, is hearing from day to day practical experience with various products and others options.
Thanks Exploroz for the opportunity of allowing this to happen
Thanks to "olcoolone" for hearing about your working experience with the Versa Lite - I appreciate where you are coming from!
My summary of everyone's comments are:-
1. if you want real cheap and short term accessory light then buy and use a red head match!! LOL's (so long as you are not around volatile solvents when your life will be as equally short!.)
2. if you want to buy a relatively cheap "value for money" rechargeable portable light to use occasionally in the workshop or camping then Narva make good gear but it may not take a lot of "abuse" and maynot be suitable for commercial use.
3. If you are using a rechargeable light on a frequent basis eg for work where time IS money and you want long term reliability then buy VERSA lite!! (it will be value for money) ...and it will work well when you are in the rain where matches won't work!!

....Still can't find out if it is Lith Ion..!!!!

Over and Out , Rosco
FollowupID: 780643

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 10:54

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 10:54
"Alternative" product does not mean an identical product. It means a product which will do the same job.
ABR Sidewinder offer a similar product for $50 which could be described as comparable . I have always found Derek's products to be reliable and value for money.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503771

Follow Up By: DiscoRosco - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 11:27

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 11:27
Hi Allan, I assume you mean "identical looking product"?? because these lights all have identical function - produce light from LED's! and are reliable - well my Narva is at least

Point is there are a number of LED portable lights that are high quality , work well , good light out point, weather proof etc etc then why pay 4-6 x more? Are you getting value for money? If you think you are then thats OK. For me answer is no. Would I buy the Versa for $100 - probably but not at $369! thats my opinion. and I respect the opinion of all that have responded to my opinion. Thats great.
I buy these lights for what they do and not what they look like or have Brand Loyalty

I like the form of swiss watches but they are $$ - however I wear a cheap asian made watch thru the average work day because the function is to tell the time and I don't care what it looks like. Both last me a long time= reliable (unless the cheap watch gets busted whilst I am working - better to do $50 than a $5k watch!) and both tell me the time very well.

FollowupID: 780519

Follow Up By: Patrol22 - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 11:47

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 11:47
Like a lot of off roaders and campers I too have a Versa fluro that I've had now for about 12 years.....and it is still going strong. I also have a couple of Narva LED lights a larger one and a small on for working in the engine bay etc. The larger of these LED lights is now about 6 years old and works marvellously, the smaller one is relative new so no comment on longevity. But, IMHO, I would say that in value for money terms that the Narva LED light would compare in every way to Versa....and they have a good warranty backup.
FollowupID: 780522

Follow Up By: DiscoRosco - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 17:52

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 17:52
There is absolutely NO question of Versa's quality. My first 12V fluor is a Versa lite AND I still use it after 20 years of camping - OK I have had to replace the fluor light unit but that was easy and simple. I have 2 more of these over the years but a rechargable light is VERY handy - I bought the Narva some time back as soon as it hit the market , The lithium battry stays charged when not used unlike NiCD and NiMH and their self discharge.

I still cant find out what battery type is in the Versa.
FollowupID: 780546

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 18:37

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 18:37
No Disco Rosco, I did not mean an "identical looking product".
I meant as I said, " a product which will do the same job." and the one from ABR Sidewinder is comparable and does do the same job, for a lot less money. I realise that albeit it may not be as rugged as the Versa-Lite.

I was actually responding to Olcoolone's expression of.... "I can't see how you can call "alternative products" when they may not offer the same......" and supporting what you had said. I would have thought that what I said, and meant, was quite clear, no?

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 780551

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 21:33

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 21:33
Allan means a $4 flash light or a 60c box of matches...... both put out light!...... errrr that's what you mean?

Makes even the cheapest LED worklight look over priced.
FollowupID: 780564

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 23:46

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 23:46
Richard, if you believe that a box of matches is an "alternative" to a flashlight then you would probably consider a Vespa scooter an alternative to a Landcruiser. LOL

Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 780585

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 20:58

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 20:58
If you were looking for cheap alternative transport..... Yes!

Don't know how it would go dropping the kiddies of the school or towing that 26 foot caravan...... suppose it could do it, look at how they use them in the Indian and Asian countries.

FollowupID: 780656

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 22:28

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 22:28
You have a point Richard.
Cheers
Allan

FollowupID: 780663

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 11:59

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 11:59
I do not want to comment on the price (it is not set by us) but I do love our Versa lights we have a number of them that we use.

What I do want to mention is that using the members special the price comes out at $316 so if you are thinking of getting one using the 15% off code will give you a really good price and free freight (if you are a member).
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 503776

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 11:57

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 11:57
I purchased this Versa light from the EOshop. More than happy with the light & happy to pay the asking price. Versa lights in my opinion are the market leaders.

Regards

TrevorDavid
dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780613

Follow Up By: DiscoRosco - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 16:30

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 16:30
Can buy cheaper still < $300 on line in Au

https://toolroom.com.au/products/Work-Light-LED%2C-Rechargeable-Versa%252dLite.html

FollowupID: 780645

Follow Up By: TrevorDavid - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 22:10

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 22:10
DiscoRosco,

Yep I could have bought it cheaper somewhere else , but I would not be supporting Exploroz if I had done that. I'm happy.

Regards

TrevorDavid

dontyajustluvit

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780661

Reply By: Atta Boy Luther - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 14:05

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 14:05
I notice it has a lot of great accessories . They need to outline the benefits and features to justify the price which is probably justified but not explained . I have an evakool led torpedo light and an ARB led rechargable which when added together comes to about $230 so the asking price is acceptable to me , maybe not to others .
AnswerID: 503784

Sponsored Links