Comment: Buying a Camper Trailer

Submitted: Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 14:03
ThreadID: 100303 Views:5286 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone. My wife and I have recently started looking at investing in a camper trailer, and after some initial enquiries it looks like it will be most cost effective for me to convert our existing 7 x 4 box trailer with a canvas tent top and doing the rest of the modifications (i.e. kitchen, water tanks etc) myself. Has anyone out there got any thoughts on the several brands of camper trailer tent tops on the market at the moment? The only ones I've really looked at in any detail at this stage are the ones from www.trailercampers.com or Oztrail. Any good or bad experiences for either of these brands? Recommendations for other manufacturers either abroad or in NSW would also be welcome. Thanks!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: daz (SA) - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 15:13

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 15:13
Hi Baffler,
Have seen a lot of roof top tents in my travels attached to trailers,
Very easy to fold out & put away, has you up off the ground.
I have a Hannibal which we use on the Land cruiser when we feel the roads are too rough for the van, or just for a over night er. I can thoroughly recommend the Hannibal for for quality.
Good hunting Dazz
AnswerID: 503787

Reply By: Member - Oldbaz. NSW. - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 15:55

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 15:55
I did as you are planning & fitted an Oztrail 9 top to my trailer. The result was a very
cheap C/t that took us all over the outback without incident. We had no issues with
zips or any other hardware. I built a slide in (coffin box) kitchen with built in stove
that functioned fine. Didnt bother with water tanks..fitted 2 by 20L plastic drums to
trailer. I recomend the use of an appropriate size silver tarp..takes 5 min to put on
with oco straps..result is no leaks, no staining, cooler, & no wet packups. Be aware
that the standard size top will fit a trailer with 50 cm sides. Correct sizing is import.
ant, as trailer height must match tent. I hard fastened the top to the trailer rather
than using the tilt up hinged method,although all necessary hardware was supplied. A very good foam mattress was included with the Oztrail. Doubled shadecloth under the
mattress will prevent condensation.
I used a new offroad trailer & suggest your rig will only be as good as the quality of
your trailer. Good luck with it...............oldbaz.
AnswerID: 503792

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 16:15

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 16:15
Baffler,

I've seen quite a number of roof top tents mounted on different styles of trailers lately.

Most common seem to be tradie's trailers, with tent sitting up on the ladder racks. Looked like a good cheap option for a one-off trip, or even for camping on the job. By converting it yourself you could do it bit by bit, and still end up with a economical set-up.

One thing I'd look at is a sizeable bench/table, then you can easily prepare meals and use a simple gas stove on it. As said you probably don't need watertanks built in, nor a full kitchen, until you decide just what you want/need.

Bob.

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503793

Reply By: Kumunara (NT) - Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 17:24

Friday, Feb 01, 2013 at 17:24
Baffler

I have just gone through the process of replacing my old camper trailer with a new one and did a lot of research before I made my decision.

I ended up buying one from Cameron Canvas in Lonsdale SA. They have a tent that does not require pegs. That sold me. The have lost count of the number of times I have tried to set up in my old camper trailer and have not been able to get the pegs in the ground.

Tjilpi
Katherine NT
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503797

Follow Up By: KevinE - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 06:29

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 06:29
G'day Kumunara,

After reading your post, I just watched a video of what looks like your CT on Cameron's website; Impressive mate! :) Is it really that quick & easy to set up?

I might have to go for a look at the caravan & camping show coming up here in Adelaide! :)

We bought a cheap & cheerful Chinese import & it has proved very reliable after a few judicious mods lol! The one area that it could improve on though is set up/pack up time!

We do mostly one or two night stops when we travel, so the set up/pack up gets old real quick!

Cheers,

Kevin.
FollowupID: 780590

Reply By: baffler15 - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 14:07

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 14:07
Thanks very much to everyone who posted - some good tips there!

Hired a camper trailer on the weekend to try it out with the family. All went well, love how easy it is to set up and pack up the trailer tents. Saw a couple of different rigs in the holiday park and got some different ideas and opinions from them as well. Now I just need to start shopping around for the right setup and price, then we won't have an excuse to be at home on weekends any more!!

Baffler
AnswerID: 504123

Sponsored Links