Replacement tyres

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 09:37
ThreadID: 100314 Views:2608 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
G'day all

The other day I had suspension upgrade on my 2012 BT50 dual cab.
Anyway, when the fitter came to give me my keys he told me
that one of the tyres had a nail in the side wall.
Because of the location the tyre was not repairable.
Bummer as it was only 18K old.
I had been thinking of replacing the stock ones with something else,
now might be a good time.
Anyone have any thoughts on what to get?
I intend doing a west to east crossing thru the middle later this year.

Thanx
Peter.
If you wanna get to heaven first you must raise a little hell
OMD

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 10:42

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 10:42
Tyre car is far more important than tyre brand as long as you don't go to a really budget tyre.

I use Mickey Thompson 4 lug ATZ's which give me reasonable wear while providing mud tyre like grip. A typical year for me includes but is not limited to -

Townsville to Alice Springs via Donahue and Plenty
Alice Springs to Birdsville via the Old Ghan and Simpson Desert
Birdsville to Jervois via Hay River
Jervois to Boulia to Winton via Plenty, Donahue and Old Cork and Jundah roads.
Winton to Alice Springs via Donahue and Plenty
Alice to Erldunda
Erldunda to Wiluna via Gun barrel
Wiluna to Halls Creek via Canning Stock Route
Halls to Alice via Tanami road
Alice to Halls Ck again. Halls Creek to Kununurra, Kununurra to Mitchell Falls to all of Gibb River Road and then back to Tennent Creek, Then to Townsvile and then Cape York and back.

AnswerID: 503851

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 10:42

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 10:42
That should read tyre "care"
FollowupID: 780606

Follow Up By: Mick O - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 11:59

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 11:59
Considering that impressive workload and putting unforeseen tyre destroying disasters aside, what sort of kilometreage are you getting or do you expect from your tyres David?

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 780614

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 12:03

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 12:03
Hi Mick

I have to be honest and it sounds like terrible business practice, but I have absolutely no idea what kilometres I get!

All I can tell you is that they are tough kilometres!

I fit them one season and replace them at the next because whatever condition they are in, I must have tyre at better than 50% wear to start a season, since I am away from home for 5 months, and my clients don't like it if I am the one getting all the flat tyres.
FollowupID: 780615

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:17

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:17
I replaced 4 MT ATZ 4 lug tyres today. Remember I remove them at 50% worn- they then go in to spares inventory.

The tyre dealer and I measured them as just a tiny fraction under 50% worn at 41,000 k so that means at least 80000k despite the rough conditions they see every day.
FollowupID: 780900

Reply By: Notso - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 10:57

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 10:57
Whatever tyre you get, get the Light Truck Version. They will ride a bit harsher but are more durable.
AnswerID: 503855

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 12:07

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 12:07
Yes thats true, and for my chosen brand and possibly others, only some sizes are 10 ply rated, so pick your sizes carefully. Check out the manufacturer's web site for specifications before purchase.
FollowupID: 780616

Reply By: Peter T14 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 16:37

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 16:37
Ive got 10,000k on Mickey Thompson STZ and they are looking pretty good. Road noise is minimal and they are pretty much all but bullet proof on rough roads (eg Victorain Alps off road tracks). They have the added advantage of giving me and extra 30mm ground clearance. That coupled with a suspension kit gives me an extra 140mm which is really important off road.

My previous tyres were Cooper ATZ and I was not impressed with the mileage I got or the punctures. The STZ have a tougher sidewall and a deeper tread pattern and a squarer shoulder. So far no punctures.

That being said, If you are doing lots of bush driving in the top end it may pay to get a more readily available tyre like the road track majors that are sold in just about every roadside stop and even at Aboriginal community coops. There are many people who have waited weeks at some remote spot for a special tyre to come from 'down south'. I don't care what the tyre is nothing will stand up to hitting a 6 inch ant hill on the edge of the road. They are like cast iron spikes.

pete
AnswerID: 503981

Follow Up By: Olsen's 4WD Tours and Training - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:18

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:18
I had no trouble getting the Mickeys in remote areas in the correct size. Try to dodge the anthills if you can :-)
FollowupID: 780901

Sponsored Links