sunshine coast to darwin via quilpy

Submitted: Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 19:47
ThreadID: 10032 Views:3620 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
hello everone, We are planning a trip in september to dawin I was thinking of going via quilpie and then up to ayers rock, What is this raod like ? will have 4 young kids with us, would it be quicker then going to mt isa then down ?what speeds can you do on this road safely ?how is the fuel situation?etc,etc
thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Diesel1 - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 20:28

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 20:28
G'day Dazzer,

You're obviously talking about coming across to the Territory via Boulia and the Donahue/Plenty highways. I crossed over that way in 2001 and although the Qld end was rough as guts, it wasn't a bad run. Look out for bulldust in holes on the NT end - I hit one and busted a trailer spring. As for fuel, you can get petrol/diesel at Tobermorey and Jervois but you pay top dollar - not too bad at Harts Range though.

You definitely save kilometres by going this way, but it's slow going compared to the speeds you can get up to crossing the Barkly.

Diesel1
AnswerID: 44393

Reply By: Member - Cocka - Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 23:02

Monday, Jan 26, 2004 at 23:02
I was out through that way last year and can give some good info. I need more info though. Which way are you are you thinking of heading to after Quilpie ???
+ What are you driving ? + How old are the kids ? + What are you doing re accomodation/camping ?

Once you get across to the Stuart H'way and down to the Alice, Ayres rock (Uluru) is another 450Ks further south again (opposite direction to Darwin)

Let me know the above answers & I can give you my best advice.Carpe Diem
AnswerID: 44419

Reply By: Member - Wim (Bris) - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 08:55

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 08:55
dazzer.
Did Bris to centre last year. Roads should be fine for good clearance 4wd.
Check out Larks Quarry & East McDonalds. Lots to see and great a great drive.
Talk you time on the Plenty. Try Gemtree to Althunga this more interseting than through to Alice. Will take time though.

Have a good trip.This 4WD stuff is addictive,
time consuming & expensive.
AnswerID: 44442

Reply By: dazzer - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 13:14

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 13:14
thanks for all the info
well I have a 93 v6 pajero wagon and i am looking for a pop up trailer or if money wont streach that far just a couple of good easy and quick to set up tents kids are 10,7,5and 1 and as to where after quilpie ,whatever is the best road although I would love to see birdsville ,we were thinking of 5 days travel eachway
AnswerID: 44462

Follow Up By: Ruth - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 18:10

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 18:10
Dazzer - do you mean 5 days to get to Darwin and 5 days to get back? Phew, I'm not going with you. OK serious now, 2 days to Quilpie. From Quilpie it is 641 to Birdsville (400 of which is dirt, usually good though). Locals stop at Windorah and then do the dirt in early hours when fresh.
Birdsville needs more than overnight. Then Birdsville to Bedourie is 200, Bedourie to Boulia is 200 (another night camp) then over the Plenty (an over night camp at least) hang on we are now heading for Alice - don't you want to go to Darwin? How much experience do you have travelling long distances in one go? How much experience with the kids belted in for long distances? How much experience on the dirt? If you only have 10 days of the holidays - why not make Quilpie the destination and spend time in each town on the way, there's plenty to enjoy, and the older kids could help you with researching the 'What's to do'. Enjoy the journey, not just the destination. enjoy it anyway.
FollowupID: 306684

Reply By: dazzer - Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 19:10

Tuesday, Jan 27, 2004 at 19:10
Yes,I agree been looking into it further and decided 7 days to get there, I used work at quilpie and would do it in a day easy although the last hour just on sunset with it in your eyes was a bit much and I did'nt have 4 kids then either! But we were still going to try that as our first day target when we are fresh and eager .
We did Canberra in two days with 2kids 4 and 1 yr old

The thing is I am going to darwin to visit my brother and want to spend as much time there as I can hence the hast,after the first day I was thinking of doing 3 hr drives then a half hr break starting at 6 and finishing at 3 or 4 so about 8 to 9 hrs a day travel bit much for the kids you think?will have a dvd palyer to keep them busy (for awhile anyway) on the way back we'll take it a bit easier mayby 9 or 10 days how may hours would you spend driving a day? we will have a bit of a look around on the way there but on this trip the destination is darwin to spend time there and use it as our base to have a look around.
AnswerID: 44514

Sponsored Links