Caravanner GPS, whats the go ? Garmin question

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 18:58
ThreadID: 100322 Views:2561 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have been asked by a (W.A.) Caravanner who is about to head off to get them a new GPS.
I have three myself, a TomTom GO 1050, a Garmin Nuvi and a Hema.
I have had it with TomTom as it cannot be navigated whilst moving, no I dont use my phone, smoke, talk/whatever distracts me and I have a clean driving record so no nanny state stuff please.
It is a couple heading off so passenger can do the navigating if required.
I have found, as most of you have, that besides wanting to know well in advance which lane to progress over to (the sooner the better being from the country myself) in the big smoke, where the Supermarket is or the bottleshop, bakery or fuel/whatever is BEFORE you get to the park/parkup.
My 10 year old Garmin Nuvi can be used whilst moving and is the least frustrating, I dont use the Hema in town and they do not need a Hema.
Can somebody please tell me if the current Garmin units are able to be used whilst moving. I also think the Garmin menu is very easy so I hope they do to.
I also recommended lifetime maps to them as they are not so into the computer to keep things up to date and I know the TT tells you when to plug it in so I hope the Garmin does too, I think its the way to go instead of continually paying up.
They have a reverse camera already, just need a simple easy to use unit with Free lifetime Maps, whatever lifetime means eh !!
Dont need any "whoflungdung" GPS, a main player. Sorry for the novel.
Have a safe drive. Thanks.
Dont mean to start another GPS war, just want to know what the towers are using.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 20:21

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 20:21
Gimmeisolation, as you are already familiar with the Garmin I would go with that, as the functions on the new ones aren't all that different from the old one we have just had to update ours and have gone for the Garmin, the wife had a tom tom and could not use it properly and I must admit I had some trouble with it too. She then tried a navman and had trouble with that and only used it twice, got frustrated with it and stole my Garmin. The Garmin can be used on the move but it is not recommended and you have to turn the safe mode off through the menu when you do your set up at least that's how I did it, there maybe another way of doing that but I don't know it, someone else might. Good luck with your research, I hope this is of some assistance for you.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 503883

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:53

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:53
hi broodie 3
dont why you find the navman a problem
i have been using them for 5 yrs and never have any issues easy as to use
cheers
FollowupID: 780727

Follow Up By: member - mazcan - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:54

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:54
sorry
dont know why
FollowupID: 780728

Reply By: GimmeeIsolation - Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 20:26

Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 20:26
Thanks Broodie H3.
Yep, just had a TomTom forum member tell me how to turn off the "safety" feature, must change when downloading software because it did not do it before.
I agree the Garmin is easiest to use. I will get one for them.
Thanks again, take it easy.
AnswerID: 503886

Reply By: Life Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 07:13

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 07:13
I just had a friend return to the mainland from Tassie, she wanted to find a bank in Melbourne and she couldn't work out how to put in the address of the bank, She has one of the latest Garmin Nuvi's, I told her to go into the POI's and look under the section for Banks and that the closest Banks will be at the top of the list, she found the bank she was looking for in the list and set GO TO , I told her ...how easy was that.
So Garmin can be easy if you use it right, also a couple of setting changes are needed when people first get them out of the box.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 503910

Reply By: catmandoo - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 07:47

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 07:47
Hi Gimmeeisolation

To answer your question regarding using the Nui whilst moving, the answer is you can. The safety feature that denies this by default can be turned off in settings, or alternatively if you attempt to use the gps and it warns you are moving, you are provided with the optiion to proceed anyway.

I have a Nuvi 3790T.

Regards

Greg
AnswerID: 503915

Sponsored Links