Expander, Rapid ECT off road vans.

Submitted: Saturday, Feb 02, 2013 at 22:56
ThreadID: 100326 Views:1771 Replies:1 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day all,
Ok, we are in need of some advice. We are a family of 4 (My wife and I, 1yo and 5yo)
We are looking at upgrading to a small (ish) off road van. At this stage we like the look of the Windsor Rapid and the Jayco.
We like the Jayco with the bunk beds for the rug rats but that is not the 'be all and end all'. What we do need is a van that will follow us all over this bute land of ours, IE: on the road but even more importantly off it.
It's only a small thing but we would also like to be able to set up the van without removing it from the car. (we do of overnight stops)
We have had a good look on the forum and as a result we have got alot more information then when we started. Although we like the Rapid and the Expander we are open to any and all ideas thus we are open to any advice that anyone can provide.
Thanks and cheers,

Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wizzer73 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 10:30

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 10:30
Hi Andrew
I have a jayco expanda, the 16.49.1 2006 outback model.
Yes I can set it up still attached to the car. The front bed doesn't go past the towhitch.
I think it handles the normal corrugated gravel roads of the outback fine (like the great central rd) but wouldn't think of taking it anywhere like the gunbarrel, anne beadell or canning stock route. Its just too big/wide and heavy and the inside fittings would handle it.

cheers
wizzer
AnswerID: 503928

Follow Up By: The Dam Martins - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:52

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 14:52
Thanks Wizza,
Thanks for your reply.
We are looking at the 14.44-4 in the Expander to try and keep some of that weight and size down a bit for just that reason.
Good to hear that it handles the corrugated roads well. What problems have you had with the inside fittings??
Cheers and thatnks again,

Andrew
FollowupID: 780726

Follow Up By: wizzer73 - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:14

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 15:14
Haven't had any great problems except for the odd screw coming loose. Just saying the fittings, like hinges etc, and how they attach to van doesn't seem too heavy duty.
There is a good forum called expandadownunder if you need expanda specific advice.

wizzer
FollowupID: 780729

Sponsored Links