used 4x4 advice

Hi everyone, i am a new member so dont really know what I'm doing but here goes. We are in the market for a mid fourby (deisel), have nailed it down to a Prado or pajero, I realise this has been done to death....... We really like the Prado but our budget constraints restrict us to the 120 models. The thing that worries me is the d4d motor is economical with more power but has inherent problems such as the injectors. The KZ motor is a bit more old school, more expensive to run and less power but doesnt have the same problems (except for front end cracking after corrigations)! talk to five people and get 30 different answers. its doing my head in. Maybe the paj is the way to go but the noise in the cab and the minister for finance likes the prado better, etc. I want one to keep for an extended time put some gear on. My dream is to do the simpson etc as well as take it down the coorong fishing, over the west coast of SA as well as be my daily drive. Any help ouls be awesome as i have my eye on a 2004 with 190 on the clock, but dont want to buy a donkey.
Cheers
SP
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: olcoolone - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:05

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 13:05
The Prado D4D would be my choice but you have not indicated what budget you have so it's hard to say if the Pajero or Prado would be better suited.

The Prado has better build quality and better long distance abilities with it's 180Lt fuel capacity.

The Pajero is cheaper for a reason!

As for the D4D so called "inherent problems"...... bit of an urban myth, the problems they do have are few and far between but according to the net; every single one has a problem.

As for the Pajero (and I'm sure I'm going to get told different)...... when travelling on and off road you see less Pajeros them Prado's meaning on thing.... the Prado is a better package for touring and off road

Any standard 4x4 will do the Simpson and the Coorong with ease but it does come down to driver ability.

Maybe the Pajero is the way to go..... you have already nearly made your mind up, your the one who has to live with it....... but then again no use buying a Pajero and the wishing you bought a Prado.
AnswerID: 503948

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 17:00

Sunday, Feb 03, 2013 at 17:00
The other thing to think about, if you later want to tow something, which has the best towing capacity and hitch weight.
AnswerID: 503986

Reply By: sillypoint - Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 09:24

Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 09:24
Thanks for your replies guys, concerning the budget, we have about 25K to spend with about a 4K trade in (hopefully) just puts the private sellers out of the equation unfortunately. In addition I am in SA and Prados seem to be a bit dearer over here.
AnswerID: 504049

Sponsored Links