Planning our journey - leg #1 Brisbane to Cunnamulla

Submitted: Monday, Feb 04, 2013 at 22:42
ThreadID: 100376 Views:2401 Replies:2 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

Looking for suggestions on places to go and see. We haven't had a holiday in a few years and will be getting 3 weeks off in April. Starting to plan our trip, I want to head out from Brisbane to approx as far West as Cunnamulla for the first leg.

This first leg we would break into two, setting up camp for two nights in one place on the way. We have a 100 series landcruiser with offroad camper, and two kids under 4. The two kids under 4 mean we don't really want to be driving any more than about 5-6 hrs in a given day. We will not be travelling with anyone else and won't have a winch, so not really wanting to be doing hardcore 4wding.

Do you have suggestions for excellent things to see and do, eg, national parks, relics, historical places for this first leg? Also, where might we want to stay for a couple of nights somewhere as far west from Brisbane as Cunnamulla?

Thanks in advance!

Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 07:41

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 07:41
Stop on the Wallam Creek in Bollon, great little community and some nice yellowbelly in the creek :)

Lots to do in and around Cunnamulla.

Eulo just west of Cunnamulla is also another great little place (stay at the river or behind the pub), it is an easy day trip to Hungerford (and Curawinya National Park) as well from there.

Also look at Nindigully on the way home.

HTH

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504101

Follow Up By: The Bunyip - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 11:29

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 11:29
Agree 100% with "Sir Kev & Darkie". Take your sunnies to Nindigully Hotel though, for some bizarre reason they've painted the pub pink!!!
In my humble opinion, hardly appropriate for a building erected in 1864. That said, you don't have to look at the outside when your having a beer inside.

We loved Eulo too, genuinely nice freindly people to meet. The guy at the General Store wasn't as friendly as some but given all the problems they've faced with the previous store burning down a year or so ago I wasn't that fussed.
FollowupID: 780898

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:23

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:23
The pub at Nindigully is back to it's normal colour now, bit hard to get there at the moment though unless you have a boat ;)
The Moonie river is in flood again and they are isolated once again

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780902

Follow Up By: Paul F2 - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 22:21

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 22:21
Thanks for your responses. I've looked up the places you've mentioned and am getting excited about the trip!

Especially Currawinya NP - Would I need to go to extremes of having sat phone etc in case we have a breakdown? Or is UHF good enough to get me out of trouble in that area? We would stick to the hungerford road and probably only go off that to get to one of the campsites.

I didn't used to worry as much about this kind of thing but with two small kids don't really want to risk it. We are fairly well set up but not for extremes - we have a 100 series with a Trackabout offroad camper both in good repair with UHF, plus two spare tyres and some very basic recovery gear, no winch.

Thanks again!
FollowupID: 780957

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 00:31

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 00:31
With the amount of traffic that goes through Currawinya NP to Hungerford there is no need for UHF even. To be sure of not becoming stuck in out of the way places, just don't go through soft patches when towing.

Hungerford is worth a night, good van park that was only $10 per night a few years ago. From there you can go up the road on the western side of Currawinya NP to Thargomindah. Despite what the maps indicate, we found it as good as the other road down to Hungerford.
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 780963

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 07:29

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 07:29
Paul,

We base camped at Eulo and day tripped to Currawinya and Hungerford. It allowed us to free wheel around the area and we didn't have to set up camp every day :)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 780970

Follow Up By: Paul F2 - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 23:55

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 23:55
Excellent advice - thanks.

So I think we will be going (approximately and not including a couple of day trips):
Day 1 - Brisbane to Nindigulliy
Day 3 - Nindigully to Eulo
Day 5 - Eulo to Hungerford

Travelling in April so fingers crossed the flooding willl be done and dusted.

Now over to my wife to work out the finer details of which specific camp grounds etc she would like to stay for this part.

Thanks again!

FollowupID: 781022

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 07:16

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 07:16
Campsite 1, stay behind the pub on the Banks of the Moonie river (free camp), make sure the kids are water smart ;)

Camp 2, Stay behind the Eulo Pub (small fee) or stay on the western side of the river (free camp) take yabby pots with you as the back waters will have water in them and the yabby's should still be active.

Camp 3, Stay at the caravan park in Hungerford (small fee) or stay at one of the camp sites in Currawinya National Park (small fee).

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 781027

Follow Up By: Paul F2 - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 22:34

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 22:34
Thanks Sir Kev & Darkie,

I think we have a pretty awesome first leg of the trip sorted out now!

Hadn't even thought to take yabby pots so that is just an added bonus!

Will be posting a new thread for leg #2 of the trip after Hungerford in a moment.

FollowupID: 781070

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 05:57

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 05:57
"This first leg we would break into two"....

Ouch !!
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 504235

Sponsored Links