Sat Phone subsidy ending soon

If you are thinking of getting a new Sat phone, get it soon. The subsidy ends in June this year. The advice is to apply now.

Below is from Kondinin Group's news pages.

WITH just months to claim a satellite phone subsidy of up to 85%, farmers are being urged to apply now.

The federal government started the scheme in 2002 to help farmers in areas without mobile phone coverage improve the affordability of mobile communication.

Federal Member for Parkes Mark Coulton said with the scheme set to wind up on June 30 Australian farmers needing a satellite phone should put their application in immediately.

The scheme offers a subsidy of 85% of the retail price of a satellite phone up to a maximum of $1000 for residents who live in areas without any terrestrial service.

People who work or travel within an area that has no terrestrial service for more than 180 days over a two-year period can also apply for a 50% subsidy of the retail price of a satellite phone up to a maximum of $700.

Individuals are eligible for one handset each. Small businesses, community and not-for-profit groups, indigenous corporations, emergency services, health organisations and educational institutions are eligible for two handsets.

“There are large parts of the Parkes electorate that have no mobile phone service and for many satellite phones are the only viable option,” Coulton said.

“However, satellite phones tend to be far more expensive than the standard mobile phone.

“The scheme is scheduled to cease on June 30 this year and therefore anyone considering purchasing a satellite mobile phone should apply for this scheme.”

Applicants who live in areas without terrestrial mobile coverage are eligible for additional subsidies to replace handsets purchased under the scheme three or more years earlier.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:27

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:27
It won't matter much as now we have national broad band to replace the Sat phone. lol

Neil
AnswerID: 504116

Follow Up By: disco driver - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:50

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 12:50
Neil,
I was about to comment on your reply until I saw the "lol" at the end.

By the time the newfangled NBN gets to some of these areas it will be very much oldfangled and of no further use, a bit like rotary dial telephones.

Cheers

Disco.
FollowupID: 780904

Follow Up By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 19:49

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 19:49
Sonds like you need to do a bit of reading about the NBN Disco.
FollowupID: 780942

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 22:07

Tuesday, Feb 05, 2013 at 22:07
I'm sure Kondinin group would be doing their homework, but I was sort of expecting another scheme to take it place. Last time a subsidy scheme was closed it was followed by this current scheme which was in fact accessible to more because it is not tied to work locations only.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504163

Reply By: Member - powernut (SA) - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 18:30

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 18:30
NBN, now there is a story yet to unfold. I have a family who lives just outside a town which has had the NBN for a year or so. His mates tell him its speed is only just faster than copper. Take up rate 16%. Now the NBN Corp is paying $108 commission to internet providers if they switch customers over to the NBN. O, and that is just for a 6 month period. So just before the election, they should be able to report strong customer growth?
I live out of town and on the edge of Mbl Ph range. I operate an office using Next G mbl link internet from an antenna and have trouble with the modem every 12 months or so. I pleaded with Telstra for an NBN sat system that was part of a promo ad for the NBN a few months ago. Surprise, surprise. Telstra's reply was, we have no such system available at this point.

So what have all the TV ads been about? Total con job. When is some one going to stop the spin and tell us the truth about NBN?
I am an apprentice retire. Its looking like my most successful career to date.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504334

Sponsored Links