One bad hair day

Submitted: Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 18:43
ThreadID: 100412 Views:2990 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Glad it is not me. This happened at South Hedland and will take a few days to clear it.
It is a Boom module of a reclaimer under transport that didn't take well to the median strip as it rounded a corner.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Candace S. - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 21:59

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 21:59
Ouch! I think someone is in trouble!!
AnswerID: 504226

Reply By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 22:22

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 22:22
G'day Rockape

It actually only took around 15 hours to clear the highway, but it will take weeks to do the paperwork and months for the reprocussions to stop flying around, the blame game will go on forever.

Mega move = mega screw up !!

Safe travels :
AnswerID: 504228

Follow Up By: Rockape - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 22:42

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 22:42
Joe,
I know what you are talking about with the paperwork.

First thing you say is, I didn't do it he did and it goes on and on.

I have seen some unbelievable outcomes from Icams where it was everybody's fault except who or what caused it.

Some were helpful and others were just protecting the arse of management at all costs.

Say no more on the Mega.

Have a good one,
RA

FollowupID: 781018

Reply By: get outmore - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 05:03

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 05:03
I was under the mistaken belief you guys worked in mining?

this wont generate much paperwork and the whole buck will be passed onto the transport contractor

have a car park parking malfunction however and THAT will generate the response you speak of

(personal experience)

classic example was cyclone george

2 killed and many injured

FMG hanballed all the blame and walked away

AnswerID: 504234

Follow Up By: Rockape - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 13:45

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 13:45
You reckon,
whoever owned that gear and I can assume it wasn't a junior miner WILL.
Want to see the risk assessment and the JSA. Then there will be an inquiry to see if the risk assessment took in all factors, they will then question all involved and will want written statements from them. These will then be analysed to see if there are any holes in the story.
If the JSA wasn't followed they will go off their tits (in a nice way of course).

They will want all those involved to be drug tested. They will want to see diaries to ascertain if fatigue was involved.

There will be quite a few meetings with management and the safety officer of the haulage company. They will want to see that their procedures are in place and up to date.

They have lost time getting that machine working as there will be damage that has to be repaired.

Large mining companies wield a lot of clout and are not afraid to use it.

I thought you came from mining.
FollowupID: 781039

Follow Up By: Member - Joe F (WA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 21:40

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 21:40
G'day GOM and RA

Well Gom it didn't take much to pull your chain on what happens to be a heavy transport ~ mining industry related "True" story, that has been kept rather quiet ?

The gist of the lost load possibly boils down to incorrect load placement, but because these heavy movers are professionals it may have been the sub-standard road where the Mega load was being hauled, but the state govenment will flatly deny there is a problem there, BHPBilliton own the conveyor structure and they would have only been the overseers at that point as the load had not been delivered to site. (a pure guess)

This is why I said the paper work will take a week to do, the rest of the blame game will possibly go on for years.

No, GOM, I left the mining industry a long while ago and have not missed a single solitary second of the lying, buck passing, empire building subculture that the mining industry thrives on.

I just happen to live where they operate ~ the inland Pilbara.

I don't have anything against anyone who earns a living from that industry either.

Safe travels :
FollowupID: 781064

Sponsored Links