Dual battery on hilux

Hey, I'm just after a bit of help with setting up a second battery in my 2001 Hilux, 3.0td, single cab tray. Its for a lengthy trip around Aus, and I'll be sleeping at the foot of the tray (im just short enough) in a canvas canopy. The battery is to run a Waeco 35 litre fridge and maybe a little light.

From my research, I can either:

1. Fit a piranha tray under the bonnet behind the passenger side headlight. This is the product below:

http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/library/publication/document//bth3ltd_-_fitting_guide.pdf

But I can only fit a 55 ah battery in this tray, and i'm worried that's not enough power to keep the fridge running.

2. Get a steel box custom welded and bolt it under the tray between the wheel and the cab. Seems kind of expensive.... And maybe there are other issues i'm unaware of.

3. Get like a marine battery box and bolt it on top of the tray in the canopy. Where I'll be sleeping, so i'm worried about fumes in confined space. Unless I turn the fridge off at night....or is it only when the battery is charging that it omits fumes (in which case i'll be driving and well away from it). Bit confused about this..

Anyway, main thing is to keep costs down and so any advice would be great.
Cheers,
Tom
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bushranger1 - Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 20:05

Wednesday, Feb 06, 2013 at 20:05
Gday Tom,
I had 2x120 AH deep cycle batteries installed in the tub of my hilux.
I built a narrow long cupboard out of structual ply on the R/H side of the tub & the 2 batteries ended up in the section above the wheel arch. The section near the tailgate was used for my pantry & had 1 shelf in it. The door to the pantry could be opened when the tailgate was down.
You could still access all the area between the wheel arches for sleeping or storage with this setup.

Make sure you glue & screw the ply so it resists all the shaking & use good quality hinges & fittings. Also install proper battery cradles with battery clamps in the cupboard. I vented the battery section of the cupboard & ran 8mm wire with circuit breaker & soldered 415 volt connectors rather than cheap automotive connectors.

The battery really only gases when charging so you should be fine sleeping in the back.

Cheers
Stu
AnswerID: 504215

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 07:32

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 07:32
Tom,

Below is a great (all in one) product from an advertiser on this site.
It may appear costly at first, but consider all cabling, connectors, isolator and good quality battery box are all inclusive.
The only addition would be an accessory bracket to support the Flyer in the corner of the tub. It will hold anything up to about a 140Ah AGM deep cycle battery.
I have one in the tub of the Colorado and can thoroughly recommend it.
I use a 100Ah Remco AGM battery.
AGM batteries do not omit any fumes (gases)

Sidewinder Flyer

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504236

Reply By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 12:37

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 12:37
Hi Tom, I had 100a/h, dual battery system fitted to my 2001 Hilux by an auto sparkie and it went in quite comfortably, I don't remember the make of the battery, but I do remember it was smaller in dimensions that my crank battery, and it was still in the vehicle when I sold it, after five years, but like you are going to do, it only ran a 60ltr Waeco an the camp lights of a night, we never had any issues with the battery going flat. I suppose my question is why you can't get a 100a/hr battery is the space that you have, as I believe the batteries come in sizes various. Just my thoughts good luck with your research.
Broodie H3
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504251

Reply By: Luckyphil wa - Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 17:25

Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 17:25
Hey Tom ,we drove around oz for 9 months in our hilux ute had a deep cycle battery and an auxillary battery installed before we left. we ran a 50 litre Weaco fridge non stop and at night we used led lighting and all manner of electronic charging etc.We never flattened the crank battery once nor did we use the auxillary battery.However we were on the move a lot so I guess if u plan on parking up for a few days without starting ur motor it could be a different story.We carried jumper leads and a snatch strap but the thing that i think come in handy the most was the under bonnet compressor and ah the cook.Regards Phil
AnswerID: 504258

Reply By: sweetwill - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 08:50

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 08:50
Hello Tom.
I also have two 100 a/h battery's in the tub of my 2002 hilux lifeline brand, also have a solar panel fitted to the roof bars, I run a 40l engle continuously plus lights "led" and assorted charging of appliances and to date all is good, the battery's would be 4 years old now hope this is of some help cheers Bill.
AnswerID: 504288

Sponsored Links