Planning our journey - leg #2 Hungerford to Dubbo - where to stay?

Submitted: Thursday, Feb 07, 2013 at 23:10
ThreadID: 100438 Views:3123 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

Looking for suggestions on places to go and see. We haven't had a holiday in a few years and will be getting 3 weeks off in April. Starting to plan our trip, and planning leg #2 of the trip.

Leg #2 is Hungerford to Dubbo. The destination at Dubbo is the zoo.

Do you have suggestions for excellent things to see and do, eg, national parks, relics, historical places for this leg of the trip?

We are planning on this leg taking us approx 5 days, setting up camp in two places along the way.

We have a 100 series LC towing an offroad camper trailer (Trackabout) so can go a little out of the way, but have two kids under 4 and only have basic recovery gear so don't want to be taking extreme risks.

As this is week #2 of our holiday we probably should consider a stop at a hotel/motel overnight and paying for a room/apartment to get washing etc done and have some good showers etc, but we are generally more interested in remote/interesting places.

Thanks in advance!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 00:27

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 00:27
It's only about 220 km through to Bourke. Kidmans Camp at Nth Bourke would be a good first stop. Have a little luxury after that rough segment. There are a few things in Bourke for you and the kids http://visitoutbacknsw.com/bourke-outback-australia.html
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504282

Reply By: Tim - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 05:07

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 05:07
70kms south of Bourke is a little village called Byrock. Awsome little pub there, modern with so much stuff on the walls to look at, nice spot for camping out the back and great food. Would be very easy to spend a long night there. The pub at Fords Bridge is good to, it's only an hour or so from Hungerford. And while talking about pubs, you have to stick $5 to the roof at the Hungerford pub too, it's harder then it looks and the cash goes to the RFDS.
The caravan Park at Nyngan is pretty nice too, right down on the river, top spot.
AnswerID: 504284

Reply By: Member - Michael A (ACT) - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 09:17

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 09:17
Gunbooka national park just south of Bourke on the Darling run is worth a look, I would have said the Warambungles outside Coonabarrbran but they had huge fires at Xmas

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504291

Follow Up By: Honky - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:54

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:54
Warrumbungle National Park is about 95% gone and is closed at the moment.
I have heard that the cleared area for camping is still there but the buildings are no longer.

The big 4 caravan park in Dubbo is just down the road from the Zoo.
You could walk but considering it is a long way around the Zoo itself you would have to consider your fitness.

Honky.
FollowupID: 781089

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 23:32

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 23:32
With two children under four it would be easier to drive, and have the car complete with drinks and snacks all the way round the zoo. The weather was quite hot when we were there, and plenty of cold drinks from our car fridge were beneficial.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 781140

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 17:26

Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 17:26
When in Dubbo make sure you visit the old Dubbo goal well worth the visit.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 504331

Reply By: The Bunyip - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 15:12

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 15:12
If you're looking for somewhere different stay, consider on top of Mount Oxley (40kms SE of Bourke). Access is gained by ringing the Bourke Visitor Centre who'll give you the owners contact number because it's on private property. We paid $60 for 2 adults & 2 kids (8 & 10) but had then mountain to ourselves.
There's no power but there's a camp kitchen with BBQ & toilets.
AnswerID: 504589

Reply By: Paul F2 - Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 22:04

Tuesday, Feb 19, 2013 at 22:04
Thanks everyone for the tips. This is going to be an excellent trip!
AnswerID: 505123

Sponsored Links