New Ranger report.

Submitted: Friday, Feb 08, 2013 at 20:47
ThreadID: 100455 Views:3601 Replies:3 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Went for a run today to check out how capable our new Ranger is. The track we chose is an old logging tack that is not maintained after the first 15 K.

After reaching the non maintained part of the track it was time to check out how everything worked. First hill decent, worked well but it was like a bunch of solenoids being mischief in the arse end of the vehicle. Tried the diff lock and that worked the same as all lockers do.

Now for the nitty gritty. As you can imagine the track was well washed out. After the run we went to the Pinnacle pub for ONE beer and one of their great famous pies. Ran into some trail bike riders that we had passed on the track and they asked how we went as they said the going was really tough. I said the vehicle was really good and did everything I asked of it, great control and no bad moments except from me, as I was concerned about coming out of a creek up a steep embankment that had really bad wash outs, one mistake and it would have been upside down transport. The vehicle did it easily and didn’t spin a wheel or try to move sideways much to this Apes delight, I will tell you. Absolute great control at all times.

Now for the things I don’t like.

The steering wheel can’t be adjusted in and out.
The parkers come on when you open a door and don’t go off unless you close the door. Can be overcome if you flick the light stork twice.
I don’t like the smart alternator on a 4wd as it only puts in the minimum charge to just maintain the starting battery.
The interior plastic marks easily.
You have to have a patch lead if you have an all led trailer. I have placed resistors on my caravan to fix this but if I pull another led trailer I have to have a patch lead.
The standard towbar is like having a stump jump plow behind you.
The passenger seat has no lumber or height adjustment.
A/c is just adequate.

Having said all this, it is a great vehicle with brilliant capabilities. It has a top transmission and engine combination. Some complain that there is lag on take off. Well if you are a boy racer that is probably true but for me it is good as gold for me.

The new Rangers where I worked have so far showed no problems, we will see how this goes as they age.

Great day,
RA.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 00:06

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 00:06
wait for the charging problems you have described, the charging system does not like 2nd batteries, do not try to tap in for an ign , or accy feed for accesories, withiut knowing about relays, do not tow a trailer that is mismatched with the trailer plug set up, ie led or globe to led set up dont let the trailer wiring short out.
AnswerID: 504351

Reply By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 07:22

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 07:22
My Ranger is now six months old, 10k up and 8k of this towing a 29' Fifth Wheeler.
No serious problems, extra heavy "patch" lead in use but still get hunting in the tail lights [comes bright then duller as the system cycles itself]. This week with all the heavy rain and vehicle parked facing the weather found a water leak into "glove box " next to drivers leg which dripped onto right foot.
If you want to fit accessories open the cover in the passenger side under the glove box, you will find a yellow wire this can be cut into without any problems.
I have had installed UHF, cameras and a roof consul with no trouble.

Regards
AnswerID: 504354

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 07:24

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 07:24
I forgot I also have duel battery installed no problems, and going to fit a solar panel on the roof soon.

FollowupID: 781142

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 07:27

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 07:27
Still more,
I installed a poly tank [45L] in the back connected to main tank for extra fuel. [Gravity fed when parked].
And a Roller shutter by "Bluey's Utes" [this is strong enough to stand on.
FollowupID: 781143

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 08:07

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 08:07
Peter,
I have the accessories all sorted and have converted the power outlets in the dash from having supply all the time to only coming on with ignition.

thanks for the assurance about the dual batteries. I am now just waiting for the roller draws to arrive from Best Offroad.

I just installed a water watch system, although expensive it is a very well thought out and manufactured product. Here are some pics of the unit and where I picked up an ignition source.

And I picked up ignition source at the redundant seat heater fuse position.

Have a good one,
RA.
FollowupID: 781149

Follow Up By: Member - Tony H (touring oz) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 08:38

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 08:38
Gee a yellow wire near/behind the glove box..... Wasn't the airbag wiring was it..... That is usually yellow?
Insanity doesnt run in my family.... it gallops!

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 781153

Follow Up By: olcoolone - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 11:05

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 11:05
Yellow wires are OK but you should always check.... wires any colour in a yellow sheath should be avoided.
FollowupID: 781165

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 20:10

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 20:10
RA
Could you please tell me what Part number for "Water Watch System"

Peter
FollowupID: 781228

Follow Up By: Rockape - Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 20:44

Saturday, Feb 09, 2013 at 20:44
Peter,
The water watch sensor is WW40072 and the mounting kit is BT50 (5cylinder) current 2012.

Couple of things if you do it yourself. You can drill the back of the existing bracket in place. You need either a small drill or a right angle attachment. I used a small bosch battery drill and for the final 8mm hole I shortened a drill bit with a cutoff wheel on a 5" grinder.

I also placed rag under the bracket to catch the drillings and later a small amount of diesel.

Installing the hose from the water watch to the fuel filter is a bit fiddly and I pushed the hose on with a little rubber grease making sure no grease would get into the fuel line. This allows you to move the hose on the hose tails to get the correct length. Also getting the hose clips at the right angle takes a bit of fiddling. They state about 60mm of hose but I think I cut it back between 5 and 10mm. Little bit trial and error.

I had some fibreglass tape on hand that I bound the new fuel supply line with and then gave it a light coat of paint. 3M No.27 tape which has heat cured adhesive on it.

When I change the main filter I would undo the banjo bolt rather than try to remove the feed line from the water watch to the filter.

System is self bleeding so no problem there. I just turned on the ignition for less than 10 seconds and bowl was full.

Expensive but a well engineered unit.

Have a good one,
RA.
FollowupID: 781231

Follow Up By: Member - Peter H1 (NSW) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 08:14

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 08:14
Thanks RA I will follow it up, went the pocket allows.

Peter
FollowupID: 781253

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:50

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:50
G'day Rockape

Good to see you are happy with the new Ranger ( apart from the few minor details )

Had mine 6 months now with a trouble free ( touch wood ) 17,000 k's on it and I'm very pleased with it. Late last year I gave it it's first real serious off road trip - 3 days in the mountains of NSW. Your comment of "brilliant capabilities" is so true, the other vehicles I travelled with were mainly Patrols, Cruisers and Hiluxes with 5 inch lifts, 35 inch muddies and front and rear diff locks. All the other blokes just couldn't believe how well the stock standard Ranger, complete with standard tyres and rear grader blade performed ! It easily went up some very steep slippery hills in 4H without diff lock engaged where the Hiluxes and 1 Cruiser had to use their diff locks ( oh what a feeling ) - you could feel the traction control working and obviously see the light on the dash flicking on and off as it was engaging. Another interesting comment came from my passenger, who over the 3 days got in and out of all of the other vehicles and said how smooth the Ranger was over the rough tracks compared to the others and how much harder the other guys had to "drive" their cars compared to how effortlessly I seemed to be doing it in the Ranger.

I can also vouch for the "800 mm wading depth" Ford promote in their advertising - I exceeded that easily with water coming over the bonnet - no blanket - on one river crossing that didn't appear to be that deep ! ( what you call an underpants changing moment)

It's not a perfect car but with a new towbar, a 2 inch lift and some decent tyres it sure will be a good touring vehicle - provided longevity and reliability don't let it down as that is yet to be proven.

Also - how are those stormwater sill protectors holding up ?

All the best

Gazz

AnswerID: 504450

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:47

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:47
Gazz,
The protectors are going well with no problems at all, except for the council who want me to run drains of them to the gutter to comply with the building code. LOL. When I cleaned the vehicle there was no mud or cow bleep on the sills at all, so that means no rocks hitting them.

I have a 2" lift which is great and doesn't stress the CV's to much. Have left the blade on the back to see how it goes but the word is it was designed that way to knock the tops off so other vehicles could follow Ha. Ha.

The vehicle in hard going was very much like my old troopy with the 6.5l in it. You could just let it find its way without working it hard.
It is more sure footed than the troopy but of course it is not build as strongly.

Hope no problems arise and all the best,
RA.
FollowupID: 781275

Sponsored Links