Ipad 2 mount for LC200

Submitted: Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 19:53
ThreadID: 100486 Views:8142 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Been using Ipad for navigation with hema outback maps but wondering has any one seen a good adjustable mount. RAMS in U.S.A makes great mounts but have not seen any here in Oz. Any info would be great.

Thanks

SKL
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:32

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:32
I've heard the adjustable mounts vibrate badly on corrugations, so I gave them a miss.

So for the travel I do, I wanted something sturdier so made my own using 1" flat aluminium and a length of aluminium angle - covered in sticky loop velcro.

But I have an ASUS 10" tablet to run oziexplorer - not an Ipad. It's nice to have the power cord come out underneath, but I'm sure that with an IPAD if it came out the side it would not be a major issue.

It is attached with two self tappers from underneath and covers the aircond controls (I have climate control so rarely need to access these) and the hazard light switch. I can easily tilt the tablet forward because the tablet is simply held on with velcro.

Here'd the tablet mounted.:

And here's the bracket I made:
[img]
[/img]

Maybe give you some ideas?

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 504484

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:47

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:47
Here's an updated picture - I added a UHF microphone bracket to the mount. Ended up keeping my old 40 channel radio and mounted it on the LHS of the console - couldn't convince myself that the small 80 channel set I bought was any good!
FollowupID: 781313

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:48

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:48
FollowupID: 781314

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:42

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:42
Good timing because I am looking for a mount myself at the moment.
As Phil G said, I have a flexible arm holder off my seat mount for my IPad and it moves a bit too much for my liking so was looking at a different setup.
Ram do a windscreen mount for the iPad which would be fine on the blacktop but wonder how it would go offroad on corrugations

If you have a google search or go on eBay you will see a few Australian online sellers of the Ram products
AnswerID: 504488

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian, SA - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:44

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 20:44
One of the members of the Trakmaster Caravan club has one of these in his LC200.
Double pad mount.
Made in the US - sold here in Oz too - for marine applications originally it seems. It may not let go but I guess road vibration would be another thing.
AnswerID: 504489

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 21:23

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 21:23
Hi SKL.

My dealer and I went over my 200 a couple of years ago with airbag burst templates. I had wanted to use a RAM mount for a laptop. But...there was no place anywhere that could place the laptop on the available mounts without it being nailed by an airbag if they went off. My dealer assured me that if a laptop came between a bursting airbag and any part of my, or my passenger's, body, results would not be pretty...He showed me some video of bags bursting...

So I gave up on the idea and purchesed an 'in console' unit, which works well for me even tho it was pricey.

I have just recently also purchased an Android (ASUS) tablet which I've set up with Ozi. I have also ordered a suitable windscreen mount from Ebay which won't compromise the airbags. The problem now will be to mount the tablet in a way that doesn't occlude vision, but looking at the dash/windscreen config, I think it should be OK.

Cheers.
AnswerID: 504494

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 21:29

Sunday, Feb 10, 2013 at 21:29
After waiting 20 minutes for EO to open up and allow me to post a reply.....

This is an Aussie website that sells ram mounts for ipads:

Site Link
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 504495

Reply By: sweetnam - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:59

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:59
Check out www.exogear.com

I use this mount

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ExoGear-ExoMount-Universal-Tablet-On-Dash-Car-Mount-Galaxy-Tab-10-1-iPad-1-2-3-/380420115476

for my Motorola Xoom but it is adjustable and should take an Ipad

I have cut a hole in my dash mat and stuck the mounting disk on my dash. It has survived many k's of corrugations without any problem - highly recommend

I ordered mine through ebay.

B
AnswerID: 504516

Sponsored Links