CT awnings??

Submitted: Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 20:47
ThreadID: 100498 Views:2447 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

We're going on a bit of a trip this year and, for those of you travelling with camper trailers, we were wondering what your experience has been with awnings. That is, do you actually use them?? And if you do attach your awning when setting up, do you use the annexe walls? Just debating how much to bring and if we can leave behind a pile of stuff, that would be good.

Thanks!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wheretonext - Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 22:03

Monday, Feb 11, 2013 at 22:03
Hi, probably need to state where you are going, what time of year etc as it would have a big influence.

Eg, We travelled Darwin then kimberley in the dry and used the awning for shade but left the walls at home.

different time of year would be different answer

regards

AnswerID: 504542

Reply By: Barry 2 - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 02:04

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 02:04
Hi Gerald
Our first camper trailer we had " All the bells and whistles " including full annexe we traveled all over Aus in all conditions.
Our second CT had Awning and few B's & W's in the odd times the weather gods are against you we use the silver tarp from all good outlets tied at either end depending where the weather is coming from. The awning is worth it for the shade and keeping rain off you while cooking.
We have learn't that the "KISS" system is the best, a lot cheaper, more practical, and a lot less weight you have to drag all over Aus.
We have spent the last 25yrs traveling Aus mostly Outback as far away from the Cities we can get. I now shake my head in amazement at the "Stuff we use to take thinking it was important" You don't have to be the " One with the most Gadgets to win " !!!
To have a comfortable camping experience.
Good luck with your decision and remember - Just Do It !!!! Have a great time.

Barry - Southern Cross Dreaming.
AnswerID: 504552

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 07:52

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 07:52
I have had one soft top camper and now a hard top camper, both which had full awnings.
I use them all the time, whether for an overnighter, or prolonged stay.

The first camper, I only used the end wall nearest the swinging tailgate, to protect the kitchen area from winds.

On my current camper, I have not deployed any of the walls as I haven't found it necessary.

In fact, you have just prompted me to remove the walls from the drawers under the bed and make room for other stuff:-)

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 504556

Reply By: mfewster - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 08:05

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 08:05
We have an annexe with walls on our camper trailer. We only ever take the walls if we know we will be set up for about a week in a place where it is likely to be cold and wet. Too much weight and bother. We put up the annexe roof only if staying at a place a few days where the weather is either hot or wet.
We have a shade awning on our vehicle roof rack and in hot weather we drop this out for lunch breaks if needed. Ours is also designed so it can become a semi tent and we can sleep under it if we are travelling with just the vehicle (usually when on a sand dune trip or somewhere we didn't want the bother of the trailer.)
AnswerID: 504558

Reply By: Kris and Kev - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 08:09

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 at 08:09
As others have said, it depends on where and when you are going. For example when we were in Tasmania we had some bad weather, cold/rain, and used our awning a lot and when there was wind we used the walls. In the Kimberley we only used the awning. In the Red Centre last year we also only used the awning.
But it is like all gadgets, you leave it behind and then on your trip there will be a time when you wished you had taken it. It is like our generator. We are planning our next trip and contemplating on leaving it behind as we have only used it a few times on all of our previous trips, but when we did need it, it was brilliant. Kevin
AnswerID: 504559

Reply By: Member - Gerald V - Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:31

Wednesday, Feb 13, 2013 at 12:31
Thanks everyone for your replies. We're planning on heading up the East Coast (getting north of Brisbane asap), then across to Darwin, down the middle. 18 weeks, leaving early/mid June. I think, at least, the awning will be coming along + the sides around the kitchen. I suspect that the other sections will get no more than a 'free trip' if they come along... Thanks!
AnswerID: 504670

Sponsored Links